Oatmeal...is confusing me ; )

Options
hula808
hula808 Posts: 224 Member
So...Quaker quick oats on the nutritional label says 1/3 = 120 calories. So I measured out 1/3 and cooked them and of course they expanded to way more than I wanted...so is the calorie count for cooked or uncooked?

Replies

• DrewMaxwell
    DrewMaxwell Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    assuming you used only water, it's both
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    its dry measurement.
  • vahine03
    vahine03 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I would say it's both Dry and with water.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Dry
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    most things that are dry and expand when liquid is added, the calorie count on the box is for dry measurement unless it says otherwise
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

They swell to about three times the volume, so that really doesn't make sense.

It's dry. Unless it states otherwise, dried goods give their 'nutrients' based on their dry weight / volume.
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    When I cook quakers 1/2 cup and eat it with 1/4 cup of milk it is 200 calories.
  • pcastillon
    pcastillon Posts: 13
    Options
    Forget volume (as in 1/3) and focus on weight - a scale is a must in any kitchen and the only true way to measure what you're eating...
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options

It's dry. Unless it states otherwise, dried goods give their 'nutrients' based on their dry weight / volume.

It is dry, but also wet when all you cook with is the right amount of water. Adding water and the oats puffing up does not increase the calories. More if you use milk or somehting but one serving is the same calories wet and dry
  • french_press
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't eat the quaker oats "Weight Control" oatmeal in any flavor....you will smell like syrup! I had complete strangers coming up to me and telling me I smelled like syrup. That being said, I'm pretty sure the measurement is for dry, but as long as you are using water the calorie amount should remain the same for unccoked/cooked.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Wow. Why all the differences here. Lol. It's a dry measurement. Lol. Yeah, put it on the scale cooked, you'd get like a spoonful ,lol. You guys are crazy.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options

It is dry, but also wet when all you cook with is the right amount of water. Adding water and the oats puffing up does not increase the calories. More if you use milk or somehting but one serving is the same calories wet and dry

Yes, but it increases the volume. So 1/3 cup cooked has fewer calories than 1/3 cup dry.
  • joeq722
    joeq722 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Everything is dry: the cup measurements, the calories listed on the box all dry.

If you walked up to a pot of cooked oatmeal and scooped out 1 cup to eat.
    It equates to about a half cup calorie wise.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    this thread is making me depressed.
  • hula808
    Options
    Wholey Moley, thanks all.
    1/3 cup dry =120 calories...i cooked with water.
    It ends up doubling when cooked. if what I cooked is 2 portions, its 60 calories a portion...not too shabby.
  • hula808
    Options
    this thread is making me depressed.

Me too : )
    Kindda sorry I asked :laugh:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Can you do me a favour, and see if it actually says on the box? This happens with pasta and stuff too. It says it on every label I've ever seen, but I'm in a different country.
  • boo333
    boo333 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

bump
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, pasta &c. absorbs different amounts of water depending on cooking times. If you want accuracy, follow the instructions below:

Weigh

ingredients

before

cooking

Alternatively, use this: http://www.pangloss.com/seidel/rnumber.cgi
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Oh dear god. Seriously. 'It is dry and it is wet' is not the answer, people!