Eat 5 fruit and veg!
Drink 8 litres of water!
Go veggie!
Go vegan!
Go paleo!
Eat what you want!

SHUT UP!
I hate being told what to do.
And I swear, I feel like I'm constantly being shouted at on this site.

But honestly, why are we here?
We want to lose weight.
We want to get healthier/fitter.
Or another reason not stated above.

But it's a simple goal, so why does getting there have to be so friggin' complicated?!

I keep being told to eat more protein, eat less sugar, exercise more, eat less, eat more, clean up my diet, eat what I want? And really, I'm a busy person. I have exams and life and work and people to deal with. I barely have time to cram all that and exercise into one day.
I don't have time to worry about my macros or whether I'm eating too much sugar and too little protein (which I know I am).
Obviously there are some basic rules. But why does 1 calorie not equal 1 calorie?
It does, by the way. Just some calories fill you up where some don't.

All I'm trying to say is, we're over-complicating something that doesn't have to be complicated.
So I'm just going to stick to my calories, try and eat healthy. But if I don't manage healthiness, sod it, I'll just stick to my calories.

To quote a quote I hate: 'YOLO'.
You only live once.
Annoying quote, but true.
I'm going to stop worrying so much.

I want to live my life, not worry about petty things like protein and sugar.

If you want to join me, do.
If you don't, I don't care.

***Not trying to cause an argument. Expressing an opinion.***
Complicated people make me angry.

Replies

• Lindamack5987
    Lindamack5987 Posts: 121
    Options
    I just watch my calories 1500. And try to exercise in some form at least 5 to 6 times a week.
  • bethhyg
    bethhyg Posts: 209
    Options
    I think I will join this bandwagon. Take one day at a time. Eat my allowed calories and exercise. It has worked so far for me.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Lol.

This should be put in the hall of fame of best posts ever.
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Warning: here's some shouting-->

The complications are about what your goals are. Getting to a low bodyfat% for your gender requires you CARE about more than just counting calories. If you hit a plateau you'll need to make adjustments in those things that you say are "complicated" Those "complications" are also people saying what worked for them and what science shows.

Not sure why you're in the forums if you don't want other people's opinions. No one is forcing you to interact with the community. Log your food to count the calories and leave it at that. Oh wait, sorry, I'm telling you what to do.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    If you've already figured it out and you're not the one asking, then that advice isn't directed at you. No one is telling you what to do or shouting at you. Believe it or not, there are other people who DON'T know what to do and they are asking for advice. You don't have to follow it or even read it if you're not interested. But I don't think people are going to stop asking, and I don't think others are going to stop providing answers just because you've decided that you don't need any more input.
  • bleeblooblee
    Options
    I have no idea what this topic is supposed to be. Anything can be really complicated if you break it down enough. Here's an example with breathing; something everyone does everyday:

Inhale with you nostrils!
    Take in oxygen!
    Expel your carbon dioxide!
    Breathe in with your chest!
    Breathe in with your abdomen!
    When you start to feel physically exerted, breathe out with your mouth!

And it can go on and on.

Realistically, we don't need to think about any of this when we breathe. The same goes for your diet. It can and will be more efficient for you if you do some research into what macro balance you need, but as long as you're only eating when you're hungry and eating "balanced" meals (balanced meaning some carbs, fats, and proteins in fairly even proportions), you will become healthier. If you want smokin' guns or to slim down at a faster rate, you'll have to put more work in your diet. Besides, many people can do rough macro calculations quickly enough that they wouldn't ever consider it overcomplicated.

EDIT: also that stuff you added at the end made it seem like you were starting an 'anti-macro balancing' cult. Sorry if any of my post seems aggressive haha
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    If you've already figured it out and you're not the one asking, then that advice isn't directed at you. No one is telling you what to do or shouting at you. Believe it or not, there are other people who DON'T know what to do and they are asking for advice. You don't have to follow it or even read it if you're not interested. But I don't think people are going to stop asking, and I don't think others are going to stop providing answers just because you've decided that you don't need any more input.

I like this. I like it a lot.
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    *like*
  • JellybeanIcecream
    Options
    Count me in! I like to keep it simple, too. And despite all of the confident assertions about 'carbs this' and 'protein that' there seems to be remarkably little accord among nutritional camps. Every book says that everything you previously read is wrong...the only common message is 'buy my book!'. A few years back, I steadfastly monitored calories and made sure to expend more energy than I put in, and I got to the weight I wanted to be. That's the only 'secret' I believe in.:smile:
  • Moonstruk
    Moonstruk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    simple is good in my book. I don't feel deprived using MFP. I am aware of what I eat and just count it!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Warning: here's some shouting-->

The complications are about what your goals are. Getting to a low bodyfat% for your gender requires you CARE about more than just counting calories. If you hit a plateau you'll need to make adjustments in those things that you say are "complicated" Those "complications" are also people saying what worked for them and what science shows.

Not sure why you're in the forums if you don't want other people's opinions. No one is forcing you to interact with the community. Log your food to count the calories and leave it at that. Oh wait, sorry, I'm telling you what to do.

:flowerforyou: