Cheap, low ingredient vegetarian meal ideas?

Options
Hey there :)

I'm a vegetarian college student, which means lots of Taco Bell (because i can order anything without meat and it's really cheap >.>), but I want to make the initiative to eat better, so I'm opening up to all of you for ideas and inspiration :)

I'm specifically lookig for soemthing inexpensive and filling, but low-calorie and tasty. crock-pot/slow-cooker recipes are always welcome :)

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Replies

• veggievixen79
    veggievixen79 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Veggie stir fry! huge amounts of whatever veggies you like with soy sauce, garlic, ginger, lemon juice (all of these or a couple--whatever you have). Add an egg or tofu or veggie meat (have a look at the chinese/asian grocery stores if there are any).

If you use spray oil or very little oil and then add a little water if things start to stick to the pan, you can stuff your face for like 200 calories. Enjoy!
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    dunno if i can paste a link but if you put thecheapvegetarian up ^ and put a few things like dots and such before and after they have a ton of recipes.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Get dried beans. Cheaper than can. Soak overnight and you can cook them in the slow cooker during the day. There is a great book vegan on the cheap (I'm vegetarian) but I like eating vegan more often. Also same author has a book called the vegetarian slow cooker. Great recipes too.
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    Easiest thing in the world is an omelette! I add a little cheese and whatever veg I have at the time.

Cheap and easy though slightly less quick is soup. There are thousands of recipes on the Internet, but basic process is sweat some chopped onions, add garlic/ginger/chilli/other spice, add whatever veg you're using along with water and simmer till soft. At that point blitz, or leave as is depending on what sort of soup it is.
  • LWeiler82
    LWeiler82 Posts: 40
    Options
    Great book- Student's Vegetarian Cookbook by Carole Raymond. You can probably find it at your local library or even on campus :)
  • Ttopeka
    Ttopeka Posts: 160
    Options
    Mmmm...I started eating Taco Bell so much more once I became a vegetarian, haha. So tasty...

I second the stir-fry idea. So many possibilities.

My mom makes this tasty vegetarian chili...not sure how expensive that is, but it makes a TON, so it's bound to even out price-wise. I need to learn to make this, because it would be so convenient just to have a batch made up for when I don't have time to cook.

I wouldn't necessarily say to add veggie meat, but that's mostly because I'm not a fan and it seems expensive . You can make similar things (burgers, etc.) with black beans.

I'm linking a food blog that I enjoy perusing sometimes...it doesn't really mention much about low-cal, but it *does* give a price breakdown of the meals. Being a poor college student with bad budgeting skills myself, I enjoyed that. Not *all* foods are vegetarian, but I linked the vegetarian-tag (195 results).

http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/search/label/vegetarian
  • veggievixen79
    veggievixen79 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I wouldn't necessarily say to add veggie meat, but that's mostly because I'm not a fan and it seems expensive . You can make similar things (burgers, etc.) with black beans.

Oops you're right, I should have said it depends where you are. I live in England and some kinds of veggie meat are cheaper than tofu or canned beans, if you break it down to cost per serving.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian, but I do end up with a lot of meatless meals anyway. I eat a lot of stir fry, often with seitan (I like this kind best: http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/product/braised-seitan-tidbits-10-oz) and fried rice with eggs. I also make frittatas or spanish omelettes with eggs, cheese and potatoes, peppers, broccoli, asparagus, etc.

One of my main go-to meals is a rice and bean bake -it's another great way to use up leftover rice. I use 3-4 cups of cooked brown rice combined with black beans or some other type of bean (you can use canned, although I usually cook my own from dried), corn, sauteed onions and garlic, raw peppers, cheese, a bit of greek yogurt, whatever suits your fancy, with plenty of spices (I usually use southwestern or italian, depending on the type of cheese and peppers) and bake until hot. You can make it as simple or as complex as you like, depending on what ingredients you have on hand.
  • skinny_buddha
    Options
    Do you have room for an outdoor garden? You don't get more inexpensive than that.
  • dandyforman
    dandyforman Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice, everyone! I learning and expiramenting with a four bean chili right now, and I think i've nearly perfected two different veggie soups :)

You all are amazing! Thank you again!
  • dandyforman
    dandyforman Posts: 16
    Options
    I don't have a garden...I wish i did. i don't have time to start one either...
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you're working on the chill and soups, One thing I always have around is frozen mixed vegetables. That way, if I'm in a pinch I just throw a bag in with some beans and either veg broth (for soup) or diced tomatoes for chill. Bang, zoom, done...I make those occasionally in the morning before work when I'm too lazy to make lunch the night before.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Check this out, Girl can COOK!
    http://veganlazy.wordpress.com
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Lentils have 13 g protein and 15 g fiber per serving, and cost just over $1 for a bag with 9 servings (dried). You don't have to soak them, and the cooking instructions are almost exactly the same as rice- 2 parts water per 1 part beans, boil then simmer ~20 mins or until desired firmness is reached. You can do tons of different things with them, but olive oil and lemon juice with some herbs makes a great combo, hot or cold.

Give them a try!
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Happy herbivore... there is a website, and a cookbook. Many of her recipes are on her site.

Lots of easy, cheap recipes for making things like your own veggie burgers, seasonings, dips, etc.
  • klakers3
    klakers3 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Not vegan or vegetarian but bumping for the websites and recipe ideas :)