Snacks on the go...

Options
Anyone have any suggestions for good healthy snacks/meals on the go? I am a commuter student in college, and I sometimes will spend all day (9am-6pm) on campus. I'm on your typical college budget and hate to buy food on campus, even if it's healthy (which normally it isn't).

I know fruit is always a good option, but I'm getting sick and tired of turkey sandwiches and fruit and I am starting to crave bad food. Help me add some variety to my meals!!! :)

Thanks!

Replies

• flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    Anyone have any suggestions for good healthy snacks/meals on the go? I am a commuter student in college, and I sometimes will spend all day (9am-6pm) on campus. I'm on your typical college budget and hate to buy food on campus, even if it's healthy (which normally it isn't).

I know fruit is always a good option, but I'm getting sick and tired of turkey sandwiches and fruit and I am starting to crave bad food. Help me add some variety to my meals!!! :)

Thanks!
  • ladydi
    ladydi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    :smile: Try those 100 calroie snacks. There pretty good I always have them in my purse. i also love granola bars. Hope this helps.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Almonds, fruit, trail mix, protein drink, veggies, peanutbutter.
  • Jewlz
    Jewlz Posts: 135
    Options
    light and fit dannon yogart smoothies. they are only 70 cal. i love them:flowerforyou:
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    I love cereal. Put it in a baggie and it's a great snack
  • geske2be
    geske2be Posts: 11
    Options
    String Cheese is an easy snack with protein that helps fill me up! Raw cauliflower is good to munch on too!
  • chriss1tt
    chriss1tt Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Breakstone's Cottage Doubles. Many flavors. I'm eating one right now.:laugh: Probably why I thought of it.:blushing:
  • rayneenie
    rayneenie Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    String Cheese is an easy snack with protein that helps fill me up! Raw cauliflower is good to munch on too!
    Yep String Cheese is sooo Yummy! also take a couple corn tortillas and cook them up put whatever filling you want I like PB&J then roll them like a taquito stick it in a baggy and off you go!
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I love stuffing whole-wheat pitas with various things. Fast and yummy.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    if you like chips like nachos or sour cream and onion...try mini rice cakes in those flavors....you'll get the crunch and taste w/out the fat and extra cals....

if you like chocolate...try a fiberone bar chocolate oats its really chewing and good and 9 gms of fiber...
    they also have carmel and peanut butter

or any good health bar like that would be good alternative to a candy bar you may crave

if you're craving carbs....bring a lite bagel and pb&j....if you have access to toast it cool if not some are sooo chewy and good and its better than say pizza.....

if you have access to a microwave try popcorn or you can bring it popped still its sooo good hot LOL...

things like that...I'm a total snacks chick, but try to do healthy as I can....oh and ya know cut up apple and peanut butter almost tastes like a carmel apple LOL almost!

hugs and good luck!
    Ali
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    banana and yogurt are good, also Kashi granola bars
  • ophedian
    ophedian Posts: 78
    Options
    Okay my solution is only viable if you have access to a Microwave such as in a Mess hall or student center. For the meals, I like to go to Walmart and purchase the South Beach Living phase 2/3 meals. I am not on the South Beach diet program but the meals are the best diet wise. Most of them are somewhere between 20grams carb AND 20 plus grams protein. So you almost get a 50/50 ratio. In addition most of them are around 200-250 calories. So three of them are day and you are done! Now for the best part, they cost only $1.98 each at Walmart!!!

Now for meal snacks, I like to eat the more complex Carbs like Vegetables. For that I recommend Green Giant Simply Steam vegetables. They come in a pouch, seasoned, read to go in 5 minutes in a microwave. They are each around 100 calories but they are better for you than most cabs from cereals, grains, seeds and definitely fruits because they lack the fructose found in fruits. My favorite is the Vegetable Medley. They cost approximately $1.25 each at Walmart.

So a typical days worth of food would be

3 South Beach Living meals (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner) Variety of course) 3 * 2.00 = $6.00
    750 calories

3 snacks [Morning, afternoon, bedtime snack, Green Giant simply Steam) 2 * 1.25= 3.75
    300 calories

Grand Total [For clean carbs and protein] $8.50 per day.
    1050 Calories. This gives you room for something you like.

If you require more calories, like I do, you can have all six meals using South Beach Diet. So this should give you around 1500 Calories.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    prepackage snack baggies of fresh fruit, crackers and cheese, veggies with dip, trail mix, almonds, etc. I do this after I buy groceries, right away. That way when I want a snack I have lots to choose from and I already know the caloric value of each. Plus I can grab them as I'm running out the door!