Does anyone take fiber supplements to help out?

Options
MCsAngel2
MCsAngel2 Posts: 49 Member
I still consider myself a newbie....started in January, joined MFP in March. Started out just reducing carbs. Then actually counting calories. For the last 5 weeks or so, I've really been learning how to pay attention to macros, and fiber and sodium.

It's still a process - when I go grocery shopping tomorrow, I'll be buying beans to add to my dinners. I'm trying to get at least CLOSE to my goal of 25g fiber a day. During the week, it's not a problem mostly because of the high fiber in the tortilla wraps I use for lunch. But on the weekends, I don't eat wraps. I cheat a bit on weekends, but still am trying to watch all my numbers.

After accounting for what I'll have for dinner, and the apple I'll have for a snack, it'll only put me at 12g fiber for the day. I bought fiber pills a few weeks ago, but haven't used them yet. Thinking about cracking it open and having a 'serving', even though it'll only add another 3g fiber for today.

Does anyone take fiber regularly (hahaha)? If you do, how many times a day do you take it? Powder or capsules? Any issues? I know I need to drink at least 8oz water with it.

Replies

• GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Beans!

I"ll often make a big bean salad and snack on that all week. I usually mix three cans of various beans, add salt, olive oil, paprika and cumin to taste. I also eat high fiber bread, cereal and lots of fruit and berries. Quinoa and brown rice are also a good sources of fiber. With all of this I rarely have trouble hitting my fiber goals so there is no need to supplement.

I think its good to try and avoid supplements if you can. Often by incorporating what you're lacking naturally through diet has many more benefits because you're inadvertently adding other vitamins, antioxidants, etc..

Good luck!
  • Boomer1946
    Boomer1946 Posts: 124
    Options
    I don't need any extra fiber however, brocccoli is an excellent fibrous carb. It's also a super fat burner.

Tom

:smile:
  • jeepwidow01
    jeepwidow01 Posts: 173
    Options
    Unfortunately, I can't speak to supplements. I get my 25+ g of fiber in each day with the foods that I eat. Try adding a fiber cereal (Fiber 1 or Kashi), either for breakfast,or you can add it to your yogurt or just eat it as a snack. Beans, avocado, mix in some flax seed to a smoothie or something, oats.

Below is a link to a website that lists a lot of high fiber foods. Good luck!

http://www.genesmart.com/pages/list_of_high_fiber_foods/160.php
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    two words.

Pears.

Prunes.

That is all.
  • fypspirit
    fypspirit Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes I do just for the fact that if I don't get enough fiber in the day it has it's effects on me if ya know what I mean. There has been times where I haven't went to the restroom for 3 or 4 days and the fiber really helps keep that in check for me. I don't go anymore than usually but they say once a day is what a person should do and the fiber helps this. I try to eat as many vegetables such as broccoli and such as possible, but I need more than what my diet allows.
  • Stpjudge
    Stpjudge Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yes, I take PGX granules they are awesome for helping me to feel full and to regulate my sugar cravings.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I take metamucil everyday have been for at least 2 years and I have never had a problem (going) and it is heart healthy too
  • Broken420
    Broken420 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    When I'm running short I use Vitafusion Fiber Gummies .. 5g per 2 pieces .. sugarfree and feels like a treat ;-)
  • btretiak
    btretiak Posts: 23
    Options
    I buy Psyllium husk from Trader Joe's. 1 Tablespoon has 4.5 grams of fiber! It mixes pretty easily with water/juice. I'll usually put 2 tablespoons in my smoothie.

Fiber=good.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    I get all mines (and shoot for 50 every day at least) from food and fruits. Wild Blueberries are awesome for it :)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I usually get 20-25 grams of fiber from food, but I take a psyllium fiber supplement as well. I get the sugar-free powder. It's 40 calories and gives me six extra grams of fiber.
  • lizzie093
    lizzie093 Posts: 81
    Options
    I take metamucil capsuls, 6 times a day. so 2 at every meal :)
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I make a broccoli soup that works wonders and have that once a week. I also drink Peter Gilhams Natural Calm Magnesium every night which beats any fiber drink on the market for helping the digestive system clear out.

I don't take any other supplements than that.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I get a TON of fiber with almost every meal. ETA: Anywhere from 20g to 45g a day and LOTS of water. You can check out my diary for more ideas aside from what I listed.

Bfast (one or more of these)
    Orowheat Healthful English muffins w/ 1 tbsp of nut butter
    Thomas double fiber English muffins
    Old fashioned oatmeal
    Fiber 1 cereal mixed with kashi (half serving of each)

Snacks
    Kashi pumpkin flax seed bars
    Kashi caramel roll bars
    Fiber 1 bars

Meals
    Beans
    Brown rice
    Vegetables (acorn squash with skin, potatoes with skin, zucchinis, carrots)

I never have issues meeting my fiber with these foods and they usually have much more fiber than any serving of fiber supplement, plus they taste better.
  • ganetdiary
    ganetdiary Posts: 3
    Options
    I tried taking some fiber supplements but I didn't tolerate them well. So instead, besides what fiber I can get into my diet, I take a super enzyme with my daily vitamins. That works pretty good for me.
  • irisheyes42us
    irisheyes42us Posts: 144
    Options
    psyllium capsules at Walmart ( same as metamucil in a capsule) They help a lot . If ya don't keep "It" moving, you don't lose weight and you are miserable~:flowerforyou: Deb
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I take a fiber supplement, but mostly I get my fiber from my diet. If I do take a supplement, it is with a big glass of liquid!
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Simply Fiber - 14 grams of fiber for one serving

wowzassss

I eat it lol
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    About 2-3 times a week I take metamucil in 8oz of water.