Cinco De Mayo

Options
Brownski860
Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
Anyone have any good recipes they'd like to share?

Replies

• gbtesq
    gbtesq Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am trying this recipe for Fiesta Lime Rice:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/fiesta-lime-rice.html#more
  • punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!

I LOVE mexican and have been counting down to today for like a month!!!
    Iwill probably go to Mucho Burrito for dinner,but anything anyone can share, I am MORE than interested!!!!
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    This is my go to taco meat recipe. Sometimes I use all turkey. It's low in sodium and tastes great! You can adjust the heat by adding jalepeno or buying a hotter can of rotel. Enjoy!

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/lean_spicy_taco_meat.html
  • cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    Options
    Making these tonight with homemade avocado/greek yougurt/cilantro guacamole.
    They are vegetarian but I sometimes add shredded chicken in for my husband.

**Calories: 372/ Protein: 17.5g/ Fat: 8g/ Saturated fat: 1.6g/ Carbohydrate: 60.5g/Fiber: 6.2g

YIELD: 3 servings (serving size: 2 enchiladas)
    2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream **(I replace with PLAIN GREEK YOGURT)
    1 (16-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) preshredded reduced-fat Mexican blend or cheddar cheese, divided
    2 tablespoons canned chopped green chiles
    1 tablespoon sliced green onions
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 (10-ounce) can enchilada sauce (such as Old El Paso), divided
    1/4 cup water
    6 (6-inch) corn tortillas
    Cooking spray
    1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro (optional)

Preparation
    Preheat oven to 350°.
    Combine the sour cream and beans in a food processor; process until almost smooth. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese, chiles, onions, chopped cilantro, and cumin.
    Combine 1/3 cup enchilada sauce and 1/4 cup water in a small nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Dip one tortilla in the sauce mixture to soften; transfer to a plate. Spread 1/4 cup bean mixture down center of tortilla; roll up. Place roll, seam side down, in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas and bean mixture. Add remaining sauce to pan; cook 1 minute. Spoon over enchiladas; sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese.
    Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with minced cilantro, if desired.
  • kmparks24
    kmparks24 Posts: 198
    Options
    Funny! I just logged on to post a Cinco De Mayo topic to see what everyone was planning on eating today. I'm making my own version of a 'taco salad'. Browning Turkey meat and an onion with my own seasonings and serving over a bed of lettuce with tomatoes, jalepenos, black olives, black beans 2% cheese, advocado, salsa, fat free sour cream and a few crushed baked doritos for the crunch factor. I can't wait for dinner! LOL
  • Tkhk0514
    Tkhk0514 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am trying this recipe for Fiesta Lime Rice:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/fiesta-lime-rice.html#more

just made this on Sunday...very easy and very good!
  • Tkhk0514
    Tkhk0514 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I make burrito bowls, similar to Chipotle. Yummy! Add some fiesta corn...I just take frozen corn and add a chopped up jalapeno and I also use chicken with a fajita seasoning.
  • healthydoseofglitter
    healthydoseofglitter Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Lady at work made this today, not sure of the calories/serving size and you can probably figure out a way to lighten them. I had a small piece it was REALLY good! She left the receipe for us to here you go:

Sopapilla Cheesecake

2 cans Pillsbury Cresecent Rolls
    2- 8 oz Cream Cheese (room temp)
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 tsp Cinnamon
    1 Stick Butter
    1/4 cup honey

Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Unroll and press 1 can crescent rolls into the bottom of your baking dish press the seams together. In a separate bowl blend the cream cheese, 1 cup sugar and 1 tsp vanilla until smooth and creamy, spread over top of dough. Unroll the second an of crescent rolls and place on top of the cream cheese mixture pressing seams together again. Mix butter reaming 1/2 cup of sugar and cinnamon together. Sprikle mixture over the top. Bake at 350 degreees for 30 minuites until bubbly and bottom crust is slightly brown. Drizzle with honey. Cool, slice and enjoy!
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    These all sound so yummy!!! Thanks for all the choices. ITs tough to cook for 1 person and I hate having leftovers laying around.
    Happy Cinco De Mayo Mis Amigas!!
  • SweetMegz04
    SweetMegz04 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm making crockpot Mexi-chicken!! I'm having it as a salad, I think the family will either have it in tortillas or with corn chips.

http://thelarsonlingo.blogspot.com/2011/05/easiest-dinner-ever.html
  • Stacyfit37
    Stacyfit37 Posts: 56
    Options
    bump
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    We are having tacos, homemade black beans over rice, and grilled pineapple!! For a snack I made tostones (my Fav) but instead of twice frying the plaintains I twice baked them with homemade Mojo sauce!! (Might cook the veggies for our tacos in the leftover Mojo sauce) :)
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    El Taco!!!
    Start with a warm 6 inch corn tortilla(warmed up on a non stick skillet w just a little cooking spray). Pick from one of these combos for under 200 calories..healthy and delicious--you can even have 2!!

Fajita Style Steak or Chicken
    1.5 oz of grilled flank steak or chicken
    1tbs of guacamole
    1 tbs of pepper jack cheese
    1/4 cup of grilled peppers and onions

Crustacean Crunch
    2tbs pico de gallo
    1/4 cup of shredded red cabbage
    2oz lime grilled shrimp
    1tbs of salsa verde

Mahi and Mango
    1tbs of shredded red onion
    2tbs of Mango
    2tbs avocado
    2 oz of grilled mahi mahi

Black Bean Fiesta
    1 1/2 tbs feta cheese
    1/4 cup black beans
    1/4 cup sauteed zucchini
    2tbs charred corn
    1tbs fresh salsa

Classic
    1tbs light sour cream
    1tbs Monterey Jack cheese
    1/4 cup shredded lettuce
    1.5 oz seasoned lean ground beef,chicken or turkey
    (cooking light magazine)
  • lolcatftw
    lolcatftw Posts: 36
    Options
    First of all, happy Cindo de Mayo!

I am very lucky in so many ways to be dating a Latin. Although my GF would never give up her taco recipe (nor could she, since everything is "to taste"), I suppose I could share my chicken taco recipe. This is close to what you could pick up from an L.A.-area street taco vendor, or perhaps at a truck (if you're high class and have an extra quarter to spend per taco). This is the real deal. No crispy shells, cheese (exception: queso fresco), lettuce, tomato, sour cream or any of that nonsense here. Garnish with fresh fresh chopped onions and cilantro, sliced fresh radish, salsa and lime wedges only.

"Street Tacos, Chicken, without tortillas (aka Chicken Alfredo)"
    ^ For "Carne Asada", substitute chicken w/ flank steak (or "beef flap", as they call it locally).

Serves 10 (about 106 kcal per 1/3 cup and 2 grams fat per serving, add about 55 kcal per tortilla)

INGREDIENTS

MEAT
    16 oz. boneless skinless chicken breasts

MARINADE
    4 fl.oz. orange juice (the cra*$@ppy kind, like Tropicana or Langers--do NOT use fresh squeezed)
    1 packet Sazon Goya Con Azafron (there's really no substitute to the MSG-laced wonder seasoning, sorry)
    1/4 med. yellow onion
    3 limes, juiced
    1/2 to 1 whole bushel fresh cilantro, to taste
    8 cloves garlic
    1/4 tsp ground cumin
    1/4 tsp chili powder

OTHER
    1 Tbsp frying oil (e.g., canola oil)
    10 small (taco size) white corn tortillas

DIRECTIONS
    Roughly chop onion, cilantro & garlic. Combine all marinade ingredients in a bowl. Cut each half-breast into 4 to 5 pieces; add to marinade. Marinade for no more than an hour (the lime will cook the chicken a bit). On a flat griddle, heat half of the oil (1/2 Tbsp) on high heat. Add chicken and fry until almost done (about 5-10 deg F from done). Add very small amounts of water occasionally to reduce spitting. This is not a soup--do not add more than a Tbsp water at a time. Remove from heat and dump onto a cutting board. Chop everything up. Add the other half Tbsp oil to the griddle and dump chopped contents back into the griddle. Maybe add a small amount of water too (less than 1/3c.). Tossing around with a spatula, you'll see the chicken take on the orange-ish color from the marinade (thanks to the Sazon Goya). Remove from heat after about 1-2 minutes and serve on warm tortillas!

Heat tortillas over open flame. Wrap together in paper towel so that they stay warm--but more importantly, so the humidity keeps them from drying out.

For how to make real salsa, youtube user "previribon" is the best source for a variety of basic salsas. Unfortunately, her videos are all in Spanish, but I don't speak Spanish and I can still get the gist. Her salsa verde de arbol is a great first salsa.