Transition Clothes

Options
Hi All,

I'm wondering if you guys have ideas for transition clothes when you are losing weight. I'm getting to the point where my old clothes definitely don't fit me or even look cute anymore and I don't want to buy a whole lot of new clothes in sizes where I don't plan to be. Case in point I bought a pair of khakis for work a few weeks ago and already they are too big. I don't really want to start shopping for clothes until I am at my goal weight.

What are you guys doing for clothes during your transition period?

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores...they became my best friend during that time.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    GoodWill, Salvation Army, consignment shops. WalMart, Target .. and my sewing machine to run a stitch up the seams to make the latest size a bit smaller to get more wear out of them.

I also wear yoga pants lots more now as they are very forgiving and I can get a couple of months out of them before they shrink too much.

Shop the sales. I tend to go shopping quite often and only buy one or two key pieces. Discount shops are your friend at this time.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Goodwill! I get jeans for about $5, blouses for about $3, shorts are also $3. There are some very good finds at goodwill, and affordable! Just go when you can spend a couple of hours, they do not separate clothes by size, so you have to search for your size.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I get clothes from garage sales and Salvation Army thrift store. I also buy clothes on clearance racks. Good luck!
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    What about wrap dresses? They usually last about 2.5 sizes because you can tighten them, you can wear them with tights of leggings. Leggings and tunics are also good with a belt around the waist to bring your shape in as you lose. I have found that I have had to start wearing clothes that aren't really my style just because it is what is convenient. Don't be scared of putting something on that you wouldn't normally wear because beggars can't be choosers :P lol
  • kittenwhiz
    kittenwhiz Posts: 16
    Options
    I know what you mean. I want to shop but I know I won't be the same size for summer time. Usually around this time of year I get new summer stuff but right now I just have to wait. Orrrr....you could by your "dream size" clothes. :) I did this before but I gave up before I got there and gave them away..
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm buying all the way down. I love buying clothes anyway. I am refraining from buying some of the more expensive clothes I want til the end though. That's my treat.

Not buying suits and stuff, so my wallet isn't getting hammered. Mostly Old Navy stuff for summer.
  • JonathansMom0910
    Options
    I bought a lot of things that had drawstring waists and such. I also bought inexpensive clothes on sale. For instance, I just bought a cute tank (got several comments on it the 1st time I wore it) from Kmart for $6 the other day. I like the thrift store idea too, but as I am still on the cusp of plus size, it is hard to find cute things at those still.....

Good luck!!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I'm in the transition period in the opposite way... I'm thinking I'm going to have to buy a couple items of clothing a size larger before the end of this bulking phase and cutting. I don't plan on buying much until I'm past bulking and after a while of cutting down.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    Consignment shops and thrift stores! I am not spending the money on nice clothes until I am there either!
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I bought a lot along the way and it was such a waste of money!Now when I'm where I want to be, I feel guilty spending more on clothes....
    But for me some skirts and dresses tend to fit ok both a size up and down. While pants don't. It gets pretty expensive when you need everything new... so the goodwill is probably not a bad idea or check out big sales.
  • noemike
    noemike Posts: 61
    Options
    there is a store by me called plato's closet they buy and sell used clothes but only those in really good condition and there is alot of brand names all for cheap jeans from $ 5-10 shorts $ 2-8 its a really good store
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Another vote for goodwill. I'm a thrift store shopper anyway, but I've been specifically going about every other week to look for pants and shorts especially. My size 18 jeans were falling down to my knees when I walked. hahahah. Now my 16s are starting to do the same thing.
  • pattybattin
    pattybattin Posts: 29
    Options
    I had to buy a new smaller belt so I can make my clothes last longer. I am not going to buy in between clothes. Although I do love the 50% off racks at Target.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I made do with the clothes in my closet (from 24 to 14) and when I ran out, I shopped at Goodwill. You can get great clothes (from people like us :)) for very cheap. Be sure to try everything on and be sure to pay very close attention to the ones you want (for rips, tears, stains etc). It really got me through to my new size 10. I should be here awhile so I'm buying all new clothes---bras, panties, tank shirts, shorts, jackets, pants, skirts, and shoes. I'm no longer a W in shoes...
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Goodwill does 99 cent tag days on Sunday's and Wednesdays, thrift stores are usually good, and now that it's yard sale time I'm hitting them up too. You don't have to go full price to replace things that you won't be wearing very long.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    RIght now I am wearing clothes that are a little too big. I have some old clothes that are smaller, but they are mainly jeans and such. I'm a teacher and I have 3 weeks of school left, so I will buy some new professional clothes for next school year at the end of the summer. Hopefully by then I will be near my goal weight.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Thrift store and Good Will! Go to some of the richer areas of your community, and you can walk away with pretty good stuff for super cheap. I've gotten brands like Gap, Ann Taylor, Simply Vera, Charlotte Rousse, and Jones of New York at Good Will for $3-6. I've even gottn a coupe Fossil purses for $15-20. It takes some digging, and you should inspect the clothing thoroughly to make sure there are no rips or stains, but good finds really can't be beat. Also, you can ask when they restock the racks and go on those days when thing are less picked over.
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    The thrift shop is my friend for transition clothes!

I thought I had it covered -- all the jeans/shorts/tops I saved from when I weighed less and was getting bigger were packed away so that I could use them when I lost weight. Unfortunately, I'm losing in different places. Last time I weighed 163 and was in size 14, my waist was smaller and my hips/legs were larger so I had jeans that fit that shape, but now that I'm back down to 163, the weight came off in my legs and hips, but my larger waist hasn't budged. The size 14 pants I had before are too big in the legs and hips and I can't zip/button the waist! Arrgghhh!
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Thrift store/goodwill etc. Depending on where you go you can pick up brand new stuff with the tags still on it.