why no exercise calories for weightlifting?

Options
joeq722
joeq722 Posts: 86 Member
Does that seem like something they just "left out" or am I missing something?

Replies

• MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If you log it under cardio as strength training it does give you calories. I do that because for four weeks I have been doing Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer and there is NO cardio what so ever in this first phase and I have lost a considerable amount of weight and inches.... it's gotta be burning something so I might as well get "credit" for it!
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I posted something on a fitbit thread earlier. I am trying to figure out how much calorie burn to log...fitbit has similar default exercise/activity calorie counts but I feel like the calories it gives are too low. Some data to back this up...

I've used fitbit for 4 months. Have found it overcalculates calorie burn for walking. I also manually enter calorie burns (into fitbit site, enter activity) from my heartrate monitor for cardio workouts and running. I'm not sure the best way to approximate calorie burn from strength training. If I wear the HRM during it is one thing but all the energy spent repairing muscle tears for the next few days I'm not sure about.

My fitbit stats for the last month:
    Calories burned: 59647
    Calories consumed: 54894
    difference: 4753 calories. Should equate to just over a pound lost

actual weight loss: 2.4 pounds

I'm guessing the difference is due to inaccuracies in me tracking calories for strength training in P90X.
  • jelezzierose
    jelezzierose Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was logging it as cardio strength training too. Now i have a HRM and just log my cardio and strength all under the one banner "HRM Training" that i created myself. I just adjust the minutes to get as close to the actual burn as possible even though the minutes don't usually reflect what i actually did.