jogging and need help...

Options
deez2015
deez2015 Posts: 75 Member
i've been doing the C25K program (just ended week 1 of 9). At the end of 9 weeks i should be able to jog for 30 minutes. I really want to make this work but my lungs are killing me when i'm working out. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. Should i be taking short breaths or deep breaths so i can keep the pace without my lungs hurting me?

Replies

• catweazle12
    catweazle12 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You're probably running too fast. Slow down and take your time. Run at a conversational pace, this might be slower than you would like but you have to build up slowly. Your lungs will soon adjust as your whole body, including your cardiovascular system, gets stronger and used to running.
    Good luck
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    When I did the C25K, I thought I was going to die the first week. I also thought I would puke when I finished each training session. LOL. Your conditioning will improve quickly and your lungs will stop burning so badly. I can run 3-3 1/2 miles now easily and am actually doing the Bridge to 10K (started this week).
  • MamaNatasha
    MamaNatasha Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You think you're going to die until you don't. All of a sudden one day I was enjoying my run. I loved the couch to 5k program, it is so tough, but you will get through it! I am now running 6 miles at a time and loving every minute of it!
    Good luck to you!
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    I managed the 30 minute for the first time this week, and I do think it's because I found a pace I'm comfortable with 4.7mph - previously I was trying to do it at 5.8mph and totally failed. The best advice I was given is to find your pace you are comfortable with - build up endurance before building up speed. It will come. Don't be discouraged - you're going to have days when you feel like you've taken a step backward. The Couch 2 5K is a great program, but it's not the bible. If you have to repeat a week, then repeat a week. This is a lifestyle change we're doing, not a race. :) Keep going - you will get there!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    You're probably running too fast. Slow down and take your time. Run at a conversational pace, this might be slower than you would like but you have to build up slowly. Your lungs will soon adjust as your whole body, including your cardiovascular system, gets stronger and used to running.
    Good luck

This.

I keep my pace slow and run in 10/1 intervals and can get out 45 mins of running this way.
  • mickeyluvchocolat
    Options
    what are those programs?
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    This may sound really weird, but do you keep your mouth open when you run? If I do, I feel like my lungs are going to explode...no matter what the distance is. If I keep my mouth closed and regulate my breathing through my nose, my lungs feel great and I can run forever.

May not work for everyone, but definitely helps me!

Good luck :)
  • steph0924
    steph0924 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    What helps for me, and I don't know if this is scientifically correct, is breathe deeper (maybe a 3 second count) in through my nose and either back out my nose or out my mouth. If I breathe in through my mouth, it bothers my throat. I absolutely have to keep my breathing under control or I get a nasty side stich that I'm too big of a sissy to jog though. Also, I am not fast. About a 10-11 minute mile on a good day. Maybe a 12-13 minute mile on a bad day. Good Luck!
  • deez2015
    Options
    thank you all for your great advice and encouragement! i will keep trying and slow it down a bit (i do get impatient lol) and for once i will keep my mouth shut...(yup, been keeping it open). The website is www.c25k.com for those interested.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Slow down and try to relax your breathing.

It's not uncommon for new runners to feel breathless -I thought I was going to die when I started - but take your time, your goal at this point is to build endurance. Try to sun at a pace that you can carry on a conversation. You may feel slow as molasses at first but keep at it and you'll find yourself improving.

A few years ago I could barely run around the block, I'm training for my 3rd half marathon right now. With the right training and attitude you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish.
  • Basia_and4345
    Basia_and4345 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Remember to Breath in through your nose and out through your mouth... and as has been suggested slow down a bit, you may be pushing it too hard to start.
  • 5ladybugs
    5ladybugs Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My first week or 2 my lungs felt like they were on FIRE! It was awful. But it went away and now nothing!!!!!
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else slow down your pace and take your time. Also there is no harm in repeating a week if you found it difficult, do it in your own time and you will get there. I never thought i would be able to run and am due to do my first half marathon in 2 weeks. I have come so far but to begin with it was really hard work. Keep at it.
  • sarahruizfitnessjourney
    sarahruizfitnessjourney Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have always had a really hard time with running. It has always been a challenge to me as it has hurt literally my whole body including my lungs. I seriously thought it was impossible and couldn't figure out why I had such a hard time with it. That was until I found the couch to 5k program. It seriously is the best program. Week one was a little tough for me but I found out that doing it alone without the program I was pushing myself to hard to fast and that's why I would have burning lungs after running and felt like I was going to die. Now I actually enjoy running and don't have any lung pain. Stick with the program it will seriously help you out and I agree with the other posters take it slow.
  • deez2015
    Options
    Update: I completed Week 2 Day 1 yesterday. I was able to completed it! I was breathing in thru my nose for 3 and out my nose for 3 and slowed my pace. It was still difficult but I was able to complete it without any issues with my lungs :D. Thank you all very much for your advice!