Umm...Embarrassing Question about...bowel movements...

Options

Replies

• mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    When you gotta go you gotta to. I got the urge to go today halfway through power 90 so I'd say yes exercise makes you go!!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    3 times a day is healthy. Water will make you have a bowel movement.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options

From Mayclinic.com, which is a website from medical professionals

Myth: An absence of daily bowel movements indicates constipation.
    Fact: Constipation is most accurately defined as the infrequent or difficult passing of stool. Normal bowel movement frequency in adults can range from three times a day to three times a week.

To answer the OP's question, when I first started on my fitness routine a year ago, I'd have to stop half way through my treadmill session to hit the loo. I must be used to it now, because I don't do that anymore. I think it's pretty normal, what you are experiencing.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    A good work out is a great way to induce a bowel movement and staying properly hydrated by drinking lots of water is always important to bowel movements.

Water helps keep the lining of the intestines moist and move the waste material through your body. If you ever feel constipated, I always recommend drinking a few glasses of water over about an hour's time and going for a brisk walk. If that doesn't help within a few hours, I sip a bottle of mineral water until its gone and that usually does the trick. Doing slow, steady deep-knee bends doesn't hurt. It may sound funny but it does help loosen things up.

Hydration and exercise. "Moisture and motion."

And, yes, drinking a lot of water and exercising, if you are not used to it, can result in an amazing bowel-cleansing defecation.

(And the number of times you go in a day can vary. "Normal" is not the same for everyone. At least once a day is a good thing, but it may be less and still be "normal" for you.)
  • AZackery
    Options

Fact: Constipation is most accurately defined as the infrequent or difficult passing of stool. Normal bowel movement frequency in adults can range from three times a day to three times a week.

To answer the OP's question, when I first started on my fitness routine a year ago, I'd have to stop half way through my treadmill session to hit the loo. I must be used to it now, because I don't do that anymore. I think it's pretty normal, what you are experiencing.

3 times a day is healthy.
  • Hev_uk
    Hev_uk Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Yes, if that is normal for you. For some, if they are having loose watery stools that would be diarrhoea. If you previously were fine going 3 times a week, 3 times a day is probably not healthy
  • 5kidsforme
    5kidsforme Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I had some problems like this about 18 years ago. I was exercising a lot after my first son was born. I'd get home and just go a lot (not normal poo, more watery and too much). Sorry tmi! :embarassed: Anyway, this went on a long time. I went to a Dr. and he said I had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). It doesn't happen after exercise anymore, not sure why. I pretty sure he gave me some medicine but I'm sorry I don't remember what it was. I'm thankful it doesn't happen anymore!!
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    It takes a good supply of water to make the digestive system to work properly...n this is a good thing...one needs their water to make things work right. exercise or any movement would get your system working as well.... ever wonder why they get you to drink after surgery get up and move and get those bowels working? all works together and is normal. Experience constipation... you's soon learn about your body n how it works and what you can do to counteract such things.
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Just a little side note re constitpation: whenever my little 4 yr. old grandson gets constipated he runs around the house, then does squats.
    By the second squat he is usually pooping.

So if you can' t poop: exercise!

And never be embarassed to ask these types of questions! You'd be surprized how many other people you may help by asking.
  • cainie19
    cainie19 Posts: 126
    Options
    yep if you think about it you're increasing blood flow to all your muscles when exercising including your gut of course you're gona go more, plus you can stimulate peristalsis mechanically by doing sit ups/crunches so dont panic. also pooping is normal from 4 times a day to once a week it changes between people. bowel movements are my speciality i can tell you anything you ever wanted to know about em hah :)
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I don't personally think you've given TMI - don't be embarrassed!

Adding to the other posts whilst you're exercising your body will divert blood from your digestive system into the other bits of you that need it - i.e. your muscles, it's a priority thing which can lead to looser stools - and the well known runners trots ;)

I think it's a variety of things, but the added water , movement and good diet will make you need to poop! Don't be embarrassed and just enjoy your workouts! Have fun xD
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Now it's normal :). To excrete waste naturally is a good thing. Lots of water, lots of leafy green veggies and add working out .. this will become a regular thing.
  • kazza2cats
    kazza2cats Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Love the idea of the Poo Tracker app. I've found since reducing my intake I'm not going as often although my stats are always over in fiber.
  • tabulator32
    Options

The only time in my life I have ever gone three times a day is when I was sick with food poisoning or some similar situation.

The frequency of "normal" bowel movements varies from person to person.
  • nigel061
    nigel061 Posts: 109
    Options
    I do know that you should be "having a bowel movement" at least 4 times a day. As this is what I saw on good ole Dr. Oz and also what I have read is a healthy amount. It should also be squiggily like an "S" shape or a "C".

Utter nonsense!
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I've had IBS all of my life and what is "normal" for me is going 6-8 times a day, sometimes more. Since I've started eating better and getting more exercise I have had the opposite reaction and frequency has actually gone down to what is considered more "normal" although consistency is still what is diarrhea for most people. At first I was actually constipated for the first time in my life, but that passed (pun intended) after a few days.

I suppose, and I am still learning myself, changing your eating and exercise habits must naturally affect all of your body systems including digestion.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't know about your question. I do know that you should be "having a bowel movement" at least 4 times a day. As this is what I saw on good ole Dr. Oz and also what I have read is a healthy amount. It should also be squiggily like an "S" shape or a "C".

Hahah yeah TMI. Ah well, everyone does it.

4 times a day is normal if that's normal for you. It isn't normal for most people, and Dr Oz is an idiot if she/he suggests that it's a "should"! Average is once a day, misiing a day or two nothing to worry about, having a few more than normal also nothing to worry about. Exercise stimulates the colon and gets the bowels moving, so OP's experience isn't surprising. However, any significant change to to usual BM patterns that isn't related to changes in diet or activity should be reported to your Dr, so early onset of bowel cancer can be tested for as a precaution.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I do know that you should be "having a bowel movement" at least 4 times a day. As this is what I saw on good ole Dr. Oz and also what I have read is a healthy amount. It should also be squiggily like an "S" shape or a "C".

Utter nonsense!

Yep...totally agree. It varies considerably from person to person. Once every 2-3 days is normal for me - even drinking 3-4 liters of water daily and usually getting 15-30 grams of fiber/day.
  • tabulator32
    Options

Utter nonsense!

Yeah, I have heard of spelling out stuff in the snow when one pees, however, creating poo letters?! That takes far more concentration, dexterity and patience than I have.

:bigsmile:
  • AZackery
    Options

Yes, if that is normal for you. For some, if they are having loose watery stools that would be diarrhoea. If you previously were fine going 3 times a week, 3 times a day is probably not healthy

3 times a day is healthy. Make that 2-3 times a day is healthy. 3 times a week is not healthy. 3 times a week may be normal for some people, but it's not healthy. They need to check to see why they aren't having a bowel movement 2 to 3 times a day. Some people don't drink enough water or eat enough fiber.