Butter? Margarine?

Options
2»

Replies

• Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I use butter 99% of the time but I have used Heart Smart before. I have found that butter tastes better and you don't need as much of it so it tends to be the same calorie count. I almost never put butter on veggies. You would be surprised what a little salt can do. Most times, your food is just under seasoned.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    I used more margarine than butter - lower in saturated fats, trans fat free and tastes pretty good to me. Love the butter, though.

In the end, I use both very sparingly. I fry an egg in a short spritz of oil instead of a pat of butter, and I usually don't use either on my toast.
  • frillypantz
    frillypantz Posts: 134
    Options
    Butter has soooo much sat fat! Why is everyone trying to convince themselves it's a healthier option?! Even lard has less sat fat than butter... it's THAT bad for you!! I havent touched butter in like 3 years, the thought of it makes me nauseous!
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You should never use margarine. It's not natural and it's made of unhealthy fats like vegetable oil or canola oil that has been hydrogenated. Despite what some people will say, canola oil and vegetable oils are very unhealthy. Chemicals such as hexane, are used to extract the oils. The only type of oil/fat I will use in my cooking is olive oil, butter, or coconut oil. A little bit of butter goes a long way, just pay attention to how much you use. If you are using butter to spread, you should keep it at room temperature because it's easier to spread so you will use less. My family has always kept the butter out of the fridge, and we've been fine. This link tells you about how margarine is made.

http://www.stop-trans-fat.com/how-is-margarine-made.html

Yes! Stick with butter. Natural is better. Just used smaller quantities.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Butter...it's natural and not created in a lab like margarine! Plus who doesn't love butter!

Me! I absolutely hate the taste of butter. But I could lick margarine from a spoon xD

OMG! I'm sorry but the thought of licking margarine from a spoon makes me want to heave!! :(

Butter all the way...
  • Bubblegum68
    Options
    Same here. I've used butter thinking I was being more healthy. However; the chloesterol level was out of sight. I'm using Country Crock again and chloesterol numbers are improving.
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Butter being natural is what you should be eating. As far as losing weight, you should be limiting your intake of fats and oils. You should use olive oil whenever possible, I do not use canola oil. Cholesterol issues, you should look at everything your eating for cholesterol sources. I would not use any prescription drugs for lowering cholesterol, there are much better herbal alternatives. Crestor damages your liver and you will die of liver failure rather than having a possible heart attack that your doctor keeps telling you that you might have. You may never have a heart attack. There are other causes of cholesterol problems such as sleep apnea. Sleep apnea also causes high blood pressure that doesn't seem to respond to medication, because the Dr. is treating a symptom and not the root cause of the problem.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Butter has soooo much sat fat! Why is everyone trying to convince themselves it's a healthier option?! Even lard has less sat fat than butter... it's THAT bad for you!! I havent touched butter in like 3 years, the thought of it makes me nauseous!
    Because not all saturated fats are bad for you. For example, stearic acid in butter is saturated and very heart healthy. Lauric acid in coconut oil is another saturated fat that's very heart healthy.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Neither! There are so many better options that don't provide empty calories!!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Because not all saturated fats are bad for you. For example, stearic acid in butter is saturated and very heart healthy. Lauric acid in coconut oil is another saturated fat that's very heart healthy.

This! There is no evidence that saturated fat causes any problems in any but the smallest % of the population who have certain characteristcs, including existing obesity and elevated triglycerides from higher than normal consumption of simple carbs. Saturated fat is essential for many of our body's functions especially the brain. The longest running study of heart disease, The Framingham Heart Study, has found that in the abscence of the above conditions, there is no evidence of development of heart disease regardless of the amount of saturated fat and cholesterol in the diet. That concept is a disproven myth that waa perpetuated through the 60s and 70s. The eveidence says it just not true. We all would do better refraining from making foods boogie men. (with the exception of trans fats which are not really a food in my opinion)

Edit to add: If saturated fat is bad, why is it the key fat component in human breast milk?
  • frillypantz
    frillypantz Posts: 134
    Options
    [/quote]

Edit to add: If saturated fat is bad, why is it the key fat component in human breast milk?
    [/quote]

I'd go for it ;)