Ladies - food consumption v PMS

Options
Hi

Wondering if anyone else has this...... once a month when I'm due on (don't actually get periods as on coil, but still get the symptoms) I am starving! Fairy grumpy too but I ended up having a binge yesterday as was feeling so hungry and a little sensitive.

Does anyone have any ideas how to combat this? I was thinking of just upping my cals by a couple of hundred on these days (normally only 2) to try and avoid a binge. I would normally try and combat with exercise but on the weekends the kids stay home I'm unable to do more than my dvds.

Or maybe there is something I could take would would ease the symptoms of PMS?

xx

Replies

• Spudeata
    Spudeata Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Have the same problem with a one week per month hunger increase.

Suggest you increase your protein as soon as you notice it happening helps to combat hunger - Kelloggs do a high fibre chocolate bar and also their break size chocolate squares are a good low cal chocolate substitute.

There are various supplements you can look at but not really worked for me, so just do what I have posted above and it has improved considerably.
  • PottyMrs
    PottyMrs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i also dont get periods because i have the implant, but i do get all the symtoms, im not a fan of chocolate yet that time of the month i need it, and i mean NEED it!! im a b***h to everyone unless i get junk! and i always put 1 to 2lbs on around that time aswel!! i dont know if this is caused by the bloating/water or the fact that i scoff!!
  • royalty_mind_1me
    royalty_mind_1me Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I totally am with you all. Yesterday and since I been on for the last few days has been an huge increase in hunger. What I did was try and eat more fruit, veggies, and continue working out. I think I should increase my cal intake too for at least the first 3 days lol. I wish you all the best on your future months to come :flowerforyou:

12146223.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, I have been starving this week since tom is due, I just try to eat the good stuff if I have to eat more then normal and like above poster suggests focusing on protein to try to stay fuller longer.

Sometimes this is hard though because my body screams "I WANT" every time a candy bar or bag of potato chips passes by. If I give in I try to limit myself if possible.
  • harpblues
    harpblues Posts: 4
    Options
    There's actual proof that the metabolism increases a little (but just a little) in the days before your period. Get a little more rest, and allow for some extra healthy calories. 100-200 may be enough to keep the binge monster at bay. Some extra protein, dark chocolate, and healthy carbs can help without sending you running for the potato chips. My secret for cravings is V8. Don't care for the taste, but when I drink it, it calms the salt cravings and gives an instant energy boost. Try the little 5.5 oz cans - they're only 30 calories, with fiber, Just chug one down really quick. Hope this helps. It really works. I drink 2-3 a day, especially when PMS hits.
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies ladies! I'm glad it's not just me. Have ordered some protein as was struggling to try and get enough protein in my diet everyday so hopefully that will help for next time at staying full (though I want to eat even when full at the moment) and will try the other suggestions also.

Dark choc is also a good idea as I'm unlukely to binge on it.

I'll make sure I'm ready for next month :)
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I have also heard that your body can do with a few extra calories at your TOM. I personally am starving the 2 days before. I don't binge but I just eat more generally, but then on the first few days of I am very bloated and have no appetite so I tend to eat less those days so it evens out in the end.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I think it happens to almost every women. I know I eat more for a few days and have way more cravings. I always gain about 2 pounds and it takes about a week to lose it. I didn't realize our bodies actually need a few more calories at that time, good to know.
  • jkleeh
    jkleeh Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    This happens to me every month. Its terrible its like I can't get enough chocolate or anything salty! and it has to be a combinations I eat something sweet and automatically crave something salty. I hate it.
  • gem057
    gem057 Posts: 12
    Options
    a programme I watched recently suggested calcium and vitamin D to help relieve pms symptoms. I haven't tried it myself.
  • RobsGirl73
    RobsGirl73 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    So funny you mention this, I was gonna post something like this. Mine is due and I crave salt ( lays chips) and sweets. I can't get enough.
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hi

Wondering if anyone else has this...... once a month when I'm due on (don't actually get periods as on coil, but still get the symptoms) I am starving! Fairy grumpy too but I ended up having a binge yesterday as was feeling so hungry and a little sensitive.

Does anyone have any ideas how to combat this? I was thinking of just upping my cals by a couple of hundred on these days (normally only 2) to try and avoid a binge. I would normally try and combat with exercise but on the weekends the kids stay home I'm unable to do more than my dvds.

Or maybe there is something I could take would would ease the symptoms of PMS?

xx

Oh yeah, I want to eat everything that can't run away from me at that time. The only way i know to deal with it is to try to not eat junk. Doesn't always work. :)
  • Belfastlassie
    Options
    So glad to see I am not the only one!! Thanks so much for posting. I crave salt an baked greasy flaky pastry an will go out of my way to get the flaky pastry.. once I have that grease texture in my mouth I am fine. Olive oil didn't work.. lol for the salt I make salsa an just eat it out of a bowl.. works great for me.. now to just sort out that other part an I will be fine.. But then I don't even eat my intake of fats a day.. so that might be my problem.
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I do fine beforehand, but once those cramps start, I find myself shoveling food. It seems that my self-control just flies out the window. And...does this happen to anyone else...when I have cramps, the only thing that makes them feel better is when I am eating...and comfort foods seem to work best. Thank goodness I am on the 3 month pill, so it only happens 4 times a year. I don't know how I got through it every month!