Trying...but calories aren't enough!!

Options
So I just started 4 days ago eating a 1200cal diet a day. I cut all pop and juice out and pretty much just drink water (still working on trying to get in 8 glasses a day though). But all through the day I feel like I am starving....more at night I notice. I feet like once I get to dinner and I just want eat everything around me and I am exhausted. I haven't even worked in any real exercise yet. By the time I get home I feel like my body is crashing. I need to lose weight, but am not liking the way I feel. I haven't stepped on the scale since Monday but I am not even feeling like I am noticing a difference in my clothes--not that I'm expecting a big one after 4 days. Did anyone else feel like this when they first started out?

Replies

• leighoconnell
    Options
    I was this way at first too. Your body is used to eating tons of food so it will take some readjusting. The first week you will be really hungry but its gradually gets less bothersome. Your body has to relearn its portions. Just keep telling yourself your not starving, your body has gotten everything its needs for the day. If you feel you must eat though then do but make sure you work it off with exercise. Just stay strong and when you get on the scale in a week or two you will see the difference!
  • futurefitgirl
    Options
    1200 hundred calories is very low. It is the lowest you should go. Depending on your weight, you may want to make your goal more like 1400 or 1600 for a couple of weeks and then work your way down once your body gets used to the changes. You will still lose. If you are hungry you need to eat. You should NEVER starve your body. If your stomache is actually growling, then you are hungry. It is important to remember that this doesn't mean you should eat something unhealthy. Fill your day with healthy snacks and you will be able to eat MORE for the calorie allotment you have allowed yourself. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • futurefitgirl
    Options
    Also, I forgot to mention...drink more WATER! It helps you feel full. For most people 8 glasses isn't even enough. Typically you are supposed to drink half of your body weight in oz. So, if you weigh 220, you need to drink 110 oz of water daily. This aids in weight loss more than you can imagine. It curbs yours appetite and flushes you out.
  • madmama
    madmama Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    For some 1200 calories is too few calories (I have 1350 as my goal and I make sure to consume some of my exercise calories). Do you know how many calories you were previously taking in? If so reduce that by 500 calories a day, this will reduce calories through the week by 3500 calories which should equal a 1 pound loss in weight.

When you filled out your information what type of lifestyle do you have to start with? If you have a desk job or a job where you are physically active make a difference in the base calories too.

Good luck in your journey:smile:
  • AshleyTaylor2017
    AshleyTaylor2017 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am 150lbs. I am wanting to lose 25lbs. So when I calculated how many calories I should be eating on here it told me 1200cals if I want to lose 1.5lbs a week. I am choosing healthier options. I think dinner time is just the hardest and just the fact that I am feeling so burned out and I haven't even added a workout in yet. I keep thinking my body just needs to get used to eating healthier and the right portions but I also feel like it is taking such a toll on my body.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,991 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    make sure all your calories are full of nutrition so your body is getting the nutrition it needs. Also the more you workout, the more calories you have available to eat.

when I started at 1200 calories I was hungry and sometimes would watch the clock waiting for my next meal. My body got used to sane eating after awhile and it got much better

never, never, never give up. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • ldbenincasa
    Options
    I felt like I was starving on 1200 calories at first too. Now sometimes I have to eat a snack in the evening just to reach my 1200 cals, even though I am not always hungry for it. You do get used to it. And the weight does come off. I would say to excercise if you want to eat more. On the days that I have a good workout, I feel like I can eat all day long. It is great!:happy: Stick with it and it will be worth it. You can do this. It gets easier!!
  • leighoconnell
    Options
    I am 150lbs. I am wanting to lose 25lbs. So when I calculated how many calories I should be eating on here it told me 1200cals if I want to lose 1.5lbs a week. I am choosing healthier options. I think dinner time is just the hardest and just the fact that I am feeling so burned out and I haven't even added a workout in yet. I keep thinking my body just needs to get used to eating healthier and the right portions but I also feel like it is taking such a toll on my body.

I would up it to 1300 calories since you don't have much weight to loose. Even that extra 100 will help you fill fuller. That last little bit to loose is going to be a lot harder than say 75 lbs, your body doesn't have as much fat reserves to eat so you can't deprive as much as a really heavy person. I think 1 lb a week would be a much more realistic goal for so little weight.
  • ldbenincasa
    Options
    Oh, I just read that you have your settings for 1.5 lbs/week. That might be a little too aggressive. I have mine for less than a lb/wk. Maybe you could try a less aggressive goal to begin, that way you could eat a little more.
  • AshleyTaylor2017
    AshleyTaylor2017 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your encouragement! I know the beginning is always the hardest, and I need to break my old bad habits. I think I might try to start exercising tonight so I can eat a little bit more tonight as well! I need to add the exercise in soon anyways, I just didn't want to start everything at once because I am already feeling overwhelmed trying to count calories. Hopefully this feeling will pass soon!!!
  • ebergenheier
    ebergenheier Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with the one pound per week idea. I too, have 25 lbs to go. When I entered in my calculations it put me at a 1200 calorie per day which is 1.5 pounds per week. I adhere to it faithfully and have been doing this since July 7th, yet I'm only losing ONE pound per week. That's just the way it's worked out so I'm going with it. To be honest ---- I felt better once I eliminated the sugar from my system. Keep in mind, that if you are a soda drinker as I was... and a caffeine addict as I was, the lethargy you are experiencing may be coming from the caffeein withdrawals. That should pass relatively quickly.

If you feel that your hunger pains will lead to binging... then up your calories only to the point that you are not hungry. If you have given up soda and most other junk you WILL lose the weight. Your body is strongly objecting to what you're doing, but you will win... just hang in there....

The recommendations to drink water is GREAT! Drink til you can't stand it... you will have to use the bathroom alot more for awhile, but that will pass as well. Water is a proven and effective method to help you lose weight. It really does work. Give your body 10 days or so before you expect to see results... anything more and you will get disappointed early... trust me on this one.

Good luck to you and stay strong.
  • Demetria
    Options
    like barbiecat said, make sure your food is nutrient dense, not processed empty calories. Eat foods that are high in fiber, like veggies, fruits, whole grains with alot of water otherwise you could have some stomach issues until it gets used to all that fiber. Start slow, high fiber foods make you feel fuller longer. Depending on how tall you are you still may need more than 1200 and still be able to lose weight. Tea is also very good to drink, it has alot of health benefits, full of antioxidants, flavenoids, you can get it in decaf, just brew it yourself, don't buy it already bottled and use natural sweeteners, I like Truvia, it is from the stevia plant, and has no calories. Soups are really good too since you are getting your fluid intake. Just don't try to deprive yourself so drastically, that's a sure fire way to rebound and binge. Make sure to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner and a snack or two at about the same time everyday.

hth,
    Demetria
  • gabrielled
    gabrielled Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Did you eat a lot of sugar and white flour before you started losing weight? I have found that the more white sugar and flour I eat, the more I want it. It creates a never ending cycle of a hungry me. This has to do with insulin and such. White flour turns into the equivalent of white sugar, and white sugar burns up quickly and doesn't leave you with a slow constant energy level, just high and then gone. And then hungry. Maybe examine how many sugars you intake, and think about modifying it to more complex carbs and proteins.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    1.5 lbs per week is extremely aggressive for someone who only wants to lose 25 lbs.
  • Dianaeg2
    Options
    the first TWO WEEKS are the hardest...don't start at 1200 calories. Try 1400 first and then once you get used to eating less and you start to feel better- it is a lot easier to go to 1200 calories a day.
    GOOD LUCK!
  • Jaymie
    Jaymie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Id have to agree that 1.5lbs per week is alot to lose. If your just starting out, maybe change your goals to 1lbs per week (use the default or recommended setting on MFP). Or just start with cutting out 200cal a week and gradually increase the calorie deficit to the reccomended level.

If you make a drastic change to your routine (eating) your body will fight back and give you all those hunger pangs and cravings. Its good to make small changes, even if it takes longer. That way your body won't notice a big change in what going in and your less likely to have those cravings and most importantly your more likely to stick to this lifestyle change.. remember this is not a fad diet. Your making a change in the way you eat and exercise and live so you can maintain a healthier weight.

Drink water like a fish.. I know its not easy in the beginning but water works wonders!!!

You can do this!!!! have faith and be patient.

Good luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I have a few suggestions that will help you. Water, fiber will keep you feeling full longer so in other words eat foods that have a high fiber count and you can drink water and even put lemon or cucumber slices in it and that does help if you do not care for plain water. Protein is very important because it helps will that run down no energy feeling and also help curb sugar cravings. Multi vitamins will help as well because they give you what you may be missing from foods. Try these and see if you feel better in a few days. These few tips helped me the most. Best of luck to you.
    God Bless, Brenda
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I have now been maintaining my weight loss for well over a year, but back when I was losing, I found that I lost the SAME 1 lb per week, whether I cut 500 calories, or cut 750 - my point being, that I believe my body was reserving energy (or going into "starvation mode") when I cut calories too aggressively.

Good luck, and set your goal for 1 lb loss a week - your body will thank you!
    :flowerforyou:
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    And dont forget...exercise may help to curb your hunger as well!! Hang in there!!!:flowerforyou: