I need motivation and ADVICE

Options
Hello everyone :) How are you doing?

I just need some motivation right now. I have been trying to start a diet for quite a long time now but UNSUCCESSFULLY :(. I am doing SO good in the morning and afternoon up to 4-5 o'clock and then BAM! I screw up everything .. :(

I tend to eat a healthy breakfast (today: wholegrain toast + boiled egg), then something for lunch (small amount and I try to go for something healthy again). My calories add up to 500-600 up to this time ..

But then in the late afternoon .. I will eat snickers or other kind of chocolate and THEN Dinner. I just cant live without these bad carbs :(

Do you have any advice? Does this happens to you? I just feel like quitting but I can't quit also .. uhh I dont know. Sometimes I will just purge everything coz I become so angry at myself :(

Replies

• teenasbody
    teenasbody Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt sweat it just workout a little harder, eventually the cravings will go away but try to eat more at lunch so you won't be hungry and make sure you are getting enough water.

chocolate is not so bad. :-)

everything in moderation

Good luck :-)
  • Abednos
    Abednos Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you, teenasbody!

I try to drink as much water as I can (usually between 1.5litters and 2). And I do exercise - 3,4 times a week - 1 hour on the elliptical trainer but as soon as I eat this chocolate bar and something else - there is no point anymore in the exercise that I have done. :S
  • lacensuch
    lacensuch Posts: 36
    Options
    I too had been unsuccessful starting my diet so many times. I would start off with a great resolve to make it through the day with good eating habits and the BAM by the end of the day temptation would step in my way of progress. For me, things were cluttering my mind and making any resolve I had ineffectual. I had to get to a place in my life where I was really ready to begin on this life's journey. I'm getting ready to retire in a year and I want to travel. I had a goal.....be able to sit in an airplane seat comfortably. Writing down everything I put in my mouth to eat helps me immensely. Cutting out soda cold turkey and drinking more water was hard for the first couple of weeks but now I don't crave them. I am trying to eat healthier and it's a struggle. I was a junk food junkie. The cravings do pass. I feel I'm much better off for making up my mind to do this.

Start off in little steps if you have to but please keep going. A year from now you will look back wish you stuck with what ever program you choose if you don't continue. Time is going to pass either way.

Be good to yourself and best of luck on your journey.
  • Michelleypoo82
    Options
    I wouldnt sweat it just workout a little harder, eventually the cravings will go away but try to eat more at lunch so you won't be hungry and make sure you are getting enough water.

chocolate is not so bad. :-)

everything in moderation

Good luck :-)

I agree! If you exercise, you'll get extra calories. It seems like you're not eating enough healthy snacks throughout the day. You can view my food diary if you'd like ideas...I even ate Sour Patch Kids today!
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary, so it's hard to be specific. Maybe you should eat something more substantial for lunch, or plan out a healthy snack (which could include chocolate).

As for the exercising, it's never a waste. It's flat out a good thing, even if it doesn't negate a binge.

Don't be so hard on yourself that it leads to purging.

We all fall down sometimes. The idea is to get up afterwards.
  • Abednos
    Options
    Lacensuch, you are so kind, Thank you!

I have been trying to lose weight for 4 years and YES I know that this just shows how week I am and that I dont have a will power to do it, but I feel like I know a lot about weight loss and everything - I read a ton of books about that, but I also feel like I dont know where and how to start.

Should I starve, should I do it slowly.. I DONT KNOW. I just know that I am fed up and when I do not see the numbers moving - I no longer have motivating.

I wonder how do you do it. You must be very strong.

On the other hand - I have never been fat. My BMI is always around 23-25. Is that the reason? Is my body wanting to stay at my current weight.... I have so many questions and if somebody else asked me about them - I would answer, no problem but when It comes to me - I have no answers :(
  • Abednos
    Options
    Kimmer2011 and Michelleypoo8 - I log my food until I binge. Then I am ashamed to even log it. Thank you.
  • 05HeatherLouise05
    05HeatherLouise05 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    PigFox.jpg

Exercise.jpg

When i'm feeling really unmotivated i just do a google picture search for some good motivational pictures, whether it's
    inspirational quotes or funny but true pictures :)
    Also i'm finding the more i come on MFP forum the more motivated i feel when looking at everyone elses success,
    especially the 30DS and Ripped in 30 people.
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Please help, I been doing dieting and exercise for 3 weeks, walking between 30 minutes to 90 minutes 3 to 4 days per week. The first two weeks I lost a total of 11 pounds, but this week when I weighed I was up a pound. I think it maybe due to water retention. I've also been drinking my water. I'm craving chocolate, but that is only about a few day out of the month and this is the time. LOL. I'm not going of my 1560 calories. But instead when I get a chocolate craving I eat the serving of sugar free cookies.Just need to know if this is normal so I will not get discourage. Thanks
  • Back2Basic
    Back2Basic Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Please help, I been doing dieting and exercise for 3 weeks, walking between 30 minutes to 90 minutes 3 to 4 days per week. The first two weeks I lost a total of 11 pounds, but this week when I weighed I was up a pound. I think it maybe due to water retention. I've also been drinking my water. I'm craving chocolate, but that is only about a few day out of the month and this is the time. LOL. I'm not going of my 1560 calories. But instead when I get a chocolate craving I eat the serving of sugar free cookies.Just need to know if this is normal so I will not get discourage. Thanks

3 weeks sounds like you're due for a week of water retention and cravings. I go up and down a lot, but the times when my dieting was good, I did not deprive myself. If you want chocolate, find some slightly less unhealthy substitutes ( I use whips yogurts or slim fast/carnation breakfast powder) BTW 11 pounds in 2 weeks is great! Don't get discouraged! Also, are you weighing at the same time of day (I do mine in the AM, pre-food) and in the same place? Changing your weigh in can have a couple pound change. Feel free to add me if you want some more encouragement!
  • teenasbody
    teenasbody Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    the biggest motivation for me is the Success Thead I love it! sometimes I look at it before my workout. really helps

Prefectdiamon you may need to switch up ur workouts.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Have you tried planning out your meals? I found that if I do that I'm able to curb cravings a little more successfully. You can also look for sugar free or low carb alternatives to those sweet treats you love so you can still get a fix. I eat a piece of dark chocolate almost every day!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Is it possible your not eating enough healthy foods for breakfast and lunch. Usually by the time I have had breakfast and lunch and one snack I have used about half of my calories for the day.
  • volatileskin
    volatileskin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    yeah..upping my intake earlier in the day has definitely helped me with that, I used to do a similar thing with pre-dinner calories only going up to 5/600 and then overeating in the evening. It takes a while to get used to and might be initially difficult if you (as I did) don't trust yourself to not overeat later anyway, but once you adjust you'll most likely find yourself wanting far less later on in the day. Definitely worth giving it a go :)
  • sarablueskies
    sarablueskies Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    wow, sounds like my story! i eat very healthy and log everything up through lunch...then by the end of work i'm eyeballing the candy dish...and then when i get home i'm getting lonely (i'm usually the only one at work and it gets really quiet) and just want to be around people so i go out for a drink (which becomes mores than one) and eat out something not so healthy. and of course i don't log it cause i'm ashamed.

i feel like i'm close to making the change and fixing these evening habits, just need some kind of nudge to put me over the top. i have a big art show in one month...i would like to look good for it. i guess having a goal is the best thing i can think of to help! so i'm going to write notes and put them around the kitchen and even in my car to remind me and try to make better decisions. i'll also start texting friends after work so they can talk me out of it and i still get some human contact. and log it, even if i don't know how or if i'm ashamed.

thanks for the motivation on my end, i hope all the replies are helping you find yours!
  • Abednos
    Options
    Thank you so much to all of you who answered.

I will try to do exercise every day, however exercising for half an hour seems pointless to me, however one hour a day is too much and if I do it for 4-5 days then I feel like my muscles are not working properly anymore. Anyway I will try to do as much as I can.

Volatileskin - this is exactly my problem - I do not trust myself that I will not overeat on chocolate at night. One thing i can do for sure is - eat all my calories up to 4-5 o'ckock and then say that i will not eat anymore - but thats really hard because I go to sleep late and I feel really hungry and I cant fall asleep.

:S

Thank you all for the advices - i read them very well and I will try each one!
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Remember that this is a journey not a destination. So do your best every day and don't be too hard on yourself. It can be hard but when you are having a hard day remember that you are doing this for yourself and focus on that. Thihgs will come together. For me, I started this journey about 5 months ago and a little over 2 here on MFP. I started on my own becuase I had to prove to myself I could do it. Now I'm reaching out to folks here for support.

I've found that even when I feel like I'm eating too much, I log it. It's a helpful reminder to see what we do to ourselves.

Good luck and if you need extra friends, feel free to add me.
  • Abednos
    Options
    wow, sounds like my story! i eat very healthy and log everything up through lunch...then by the end of work i'm eyeballing the candy dish...and then when i get home i'm getting lonely (i'm usually the only one at work and it gets really quiet) and just want to be around people so i go out for a drink (which becomes mores than one) and eat out something not so healthy. and of course i don't log it cause i'm ashamed.

i feel like i'm close to making the change and fixing these evening habits, just need some kind of nudge to put me over the top. i have a big art show in one month...i would like to look good for it. i guess having a goal is the best thing i can think of to help! so i'm going to write notes and put them around the kitchen and even in my car to remind me and try to make better decisions. i'll also start texting friends after work so they can talk me out of it and i still get some human contact. and log it, even if i don't know how or if i'm ashamed.

thanks for the motivation on my end, i hope all the replies are helping you find yours!

Sara, I was thinking to do the same, however I live in a shared house with 7 more people and I am SO ASHAMED to do this. They would think I am crazy.
    But I am happy that you think This would work for you. Good luck!!!
  • andrew1768
    andrew1768 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try to eat fresh fish for dinner with fresh veggies!! You can eat plenty and they have next to no calories as long as you don't add alot of butter. Use things like garlic for flavor with a small amount of butter and bake or broil in oven. This will leave you spare calories at the end of the night for a snack. Slim Fast also has some good tasting chocolate snacks for about 100 calories each. I also agree with the others, eat more for lunch so you are not starving by dinner time. Don't quit, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
  • wesellee
    wesellee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    hey i had the same problem.ive noticed on my low carb days i would have these craving and on high carb day not so much.if you like oatmeal this will be a better choice for breakfeast...and it sounds like you need more calories throough out the day,,try to have 1200 calories in before 4 and keep your afternoon light.remember that salads work wonders for late nigh meals,i hope this helps and please dont give up...its hard but with some sacrafice it will be worth it..good luck