can i become a nutritionist? HELP

Options
hey guys im currently doing my A levels (in grade 12) and i really want to become a nutritionist.. But the only problem is that i dont have a science background (the last time i studied chemistry/biology/physics was in grade 9). my current subjects are psychology, economics and art.

anybody who knows if i can still study the food and nutrition course to get a degree in it or its necessary to have a sciences background?

any information would be great!

Replies

• rohmaansari
    rohmaansari Posts: 24
    Options
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    The answer is yes, but I'm not really familiar enough with the UK system (I'm guessing you are in the UK?) to give you specifics. You should find nutrition programs that you are interested in and contact them about requirements. You will almost certainly need to take additional science courses before you can enter a nutrition program. I have a friend from the UK who did this for another health science specialty, but I'm not exactly sure what the additional course was called.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    It depends on the licensing requirements in your area. I'm going to school for dietetics but it's actually a chemistry major that will set me up for the dietetic internship required here in the states and then I can take the exam to become as registered dietitian. It sucks because I've already been in school for 2 years but they didn't offer this program where we lived before so now it's going to be another 3 years or so to fit in all my math/science requirements. :grumble: oh well it's what I really want to do and I think it will be worth it.
  • KathieSwenson
    KathieSwenson Posts: 179
    Options
    Where are you at? If you are state side (USA) then it wont be a problem. You have to go to college to get a degree and once you decide that is your major than they have all the coursework designed to get you fully qualified as a nutritionist. It does help for you to have science in your grades 9-12 but I dont believe it will matter much. In college they start you at at beggining biology classes etc they are considered as prereq's to your major courses. Just food for thought.

Kathie
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing a diploma in Diet and Nutrition which will qualify me as an advisor - you dont need a science background!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Anyone can become a nutritionist. There's really no formal education needed and getting a certification for it is possible even without much knowledge of chemistry, biology, or even endocrinology.
    Look online and I bet you can find an organization who's willing to take your money to get their cert.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    without a foundation in science, you arent really a true nutritionist are you? like what was said above, you can "buy" any credential you want, but if you are truly interested in nutrition, it is based on science.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    without a foundation in science, you arent really a true nutritionist are you? like what was said above, you can "buy" any credential you want, but if you are truly interested in nutrition, it is based on science.

She's in high school though. She can still study science if she wants. If our high school (or even college) choices always pigeonholed us forever many of us wouldn't be where we are. Just because she needs to catch up in science is in no way saying "bu a credential"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options

She's in high school though. She can still study science if she wants. If our high school (or even college) choices always pigeonholed us forever many of us wouldn't be where we are. Just because she needs to catch up in science is in no way saying "bu a credential"
    She can study it no doubt. It just makes it much easier to obtain if you have the science knowledge. There's a difference between a certified nutritionist and a licensed one though. Becoming a licensed dietician requires a degree.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

what? you confused what I said.
  • hanahlai
    hanahlai Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I would think so! You are only in highschool. So I would say you have PLENTY of time to study and become a nutritionist and get the proper degree and certifications and such.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    You can certify as a nutritionist, anyone can certify as a nutritionist regardless of education background.

If you go to school to be a dietitian I think that will be more of what you're looking for.
    My best friend just graduated with her dietetics degree and she took a few science classes over the years but mainly has taken the ones that are specific to nutrition.

If you're planning on going to college all degrees require science classes. I'm studying business and information technology and have to take two science classes.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I'll be starting in the fall after being out of school for 20 years.
    New passion I guess.