22 lbs in 2 months good or bad?

Options
I lost 22 lbs in 2 months, is this good or bad? Started at 200, today I am 178. Age 42, 5'9", Male. Is this normal progress, too much weight loss in a short time or too slow? I exercise at least 3 times a week, and have been eating very healthy, ie oatmeal for breakfast, salad with protein for lunch, salad with protein for dinner, and a few health snacks a day. I feel fine and I am not hungry all the time. I don't know if I should be eating more workout calories back or not. MFP says may calorie intake should be 1200 a day.
I don't know what normal is, as I have never done this before. Thanks

Replies

• 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    Congrats on the loss! I know men are supposed to eat different cals than women, but not too sure.~ Also depends on how much "hard" cardio you are doing in the 3 times a week too. Make an appointment to see your doctor as he/she will give you a better understanding of what is right/good for you. I felt more knowledgeable after seeing mine. Sorry couldn't be more help but I am sure you will get the answers that you need from someone on here! Good Luck to you and enjoy your journey :smile:
  • suziezumbo
    suziezumbo Posts: 4
    Options
    Around 10 pounds a month is a healthy weight loss as long as you are getting in good nutrients. I've lost 110lbs. in the last 11 months and my doc is thrilled. The only thing she recommended was to take a multi-vitamin every day.
  • nn103
    nn103 Posts: 5
    Options
    That is a good idea, I have not been taking a multi vitamin, but will start now.
  • lamornad
    lamornad Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think I would check in with a doctor. This sounds a bit fast. But if you havent stoped eating completely or climed Everest, it sounds brilliant. Dont be too dissapointed if it does not keep going at the same speed:smile:
  • nn103
    nn103 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. I am doing what I think is hard cardio, the gym i joined offers free classes so i am doing the boot camp and cardio kickboxing classes 3 times a week, then I do another 15 minutes on the elliptical or stair machine. Plus I will about 30 minutes a day.
    And I will check with the doctor to make sure I am on track.
  • rpguy4
    rpguy4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss. I think those numbers are GREAT !
    I can tell you that I started tracking my calories using the "Loseit" app/website, and there minimum
    calorie intake for women was 1200, and for men was 1500, based upon this web site:
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/lose_wt/calories.htm

FWIW - MFP has a superior food database.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Seconding everyone's suggestions to check with a doctor. That sounds like a lot of weight and a lot of exercise. A major part of losing weight is sustainability; people yo-yo because they try to lose a lot quickly by doing extreme things, and then gain it all back when they go back to "normal." Something that might be worth looking into would be to consult a dietitian to make sure that you are getting the nutrients you need, especially if you are eating the same thing every day.
  • MassWineGuy
    Options
    Sounds great, if maybe a bit too much. But your physician would know best. It took you a long time to gain that weight. It's going to take a while to lose it, so don't lose hope or patience.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I'd be totally happy about that loss! :)
  • wndnls
    wndnls Posts: 25
    Options
    I think it's fine if you are eating well. Congratulations on your weight loss!!

15471426.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter