Heart rate and calories burned?

Options
butterfli7o
butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
Can someone give me an easy way on how to calculate my calories burned with my heart rate? I'm looking to buy a HRM but want to know how to use it. :) I Googled it real quick and found a long paragraph and a complicated math process, LOL. Figured I'd just ask you guys for the info.

Replies

• butterfli7o
    Options
    Bump!
  • Elohvey
    Elohvey Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    http://www.calories-calculator.net/Calories_Burned_By_Heart_Rate.html
    ^ i use this site to calculate calories burned since I have a cheap HRM that does not do this process for me. :(
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I would just buy a HRM that calculates it for you. I have the Polar FT4 and I LOVE it. I got it on bodytronics for about $50, using the coupon code, "popo".
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    There's no calculation needed once you buy an hrm. You simply enter your stats into the watch (height, current weight, sex, etc). It will calculate everything for you. Just be sure to update your weight often in the settings as you lose, because the less you weigh the less calories you burn.
  • butterfli7o
    Options
    Thanks. I was checking out cheaper HRM's that don't actually do the calorie counting ( I don't think...) but I might have to check out that HRM with the coupon code!
  • Elohvey
    Elohvey Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yeah the cheap ones don't calculate it for you. :(
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I like to use target heart rates with my HRM.
    Example:

Fat burning zone is 60-70%

MHR = max heart rate
    RHR = resting heart rate
    Minimum Target HR = 0.60 x (MHR - RHR) + RHR
    Maximum Target HR = 0.70 x (MHR - RHR) + RHR

I like working out in this zone because I can maintain it for 60 minutes or so without exhausting myself. This zone also burns the most fat calories rather than readily available carbohydrates.

Also, the HRM uses simple estimates that ignore your true resting and maximum heart rate. I like to use more specific equations since my max heart rate is really high (220 bpm). The HRM always overestimates my calories burned because of this.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I was checking out cheaper HRM's that don't actually do the calorie counting ( I don't think...) but I might have to check out that HRM with the coupon code!
    Polars are great, can't beat that price!
  • janehen12
    janehen12 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    if you're in the uk there is one at lloyds pharmacy which is fairly cheap and calculates for you :)
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Best one I've seen is http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm - it's usually within 10% of my polar FT60. It will have a greater margin of error if you don't put in a specific value of vO2max.
  • beachquilt
    beachquilt Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 - it works great and is very easy to use! I don't think they're too expensive if you shop around.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 - it works great and is very easy to use! I don't think they're too expensive if you shop around.

Just bought that one today and its so easy to use - i got a cheaper one from Argos but to measure your heart rate you had to hold the watch done ( impossible if you are pushing a buggy or on a cross trainer.) You do wear a chest strap but you forget its there after a couple of minutes.
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
  • i_am_losing_it
    i_am_losing_it Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I was also curious about this. Thanks for posting :)