Should I worry??

Options
Does anyone else obsess everyday...almost every minute of the day about what their body looks like? I wake up and the first thing I do is look in the mirror to see how "fat" I look that day...if I look better or worse than the day before. Even though I know weight gain or loss wouldn't necessarily happen overnight or even be noticeable. If I don't work out one day, the next day when I look at myself I see weight gain and I deal with a TON of guilt. Every time I use the bathroom, I look at myself in the mirror sans pants to make sure I don't look fat. When I get home from work God knows how many times and how long I stand in front of the mirror examining every inch if of my body, checking for weight gain & cellulite. I still eat normal, and I work out no less than three days a week (usually more) for at least an hour and a half. I just feel my life is consumed with this obsession and I don't know that it's healthy to think about it as much as I do. I mean I'm not even close to being overweight...I'm 5'8 about 145 lbs. But all I see when I look in the mirror is how gross I look!!!! Help!!!!!

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Have you considered therapy? Honestly, no one here is licensed to diagnose body dismorphic disorders (not that I know of), but if you're questioning whether your obsession is healthy, it's probably not.
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    Sometimes, I get that way too. Getting on the scale and being a pound over will ruin my day. I've stopped getting on the scale for a week. It's helped. It also helps that I don't have any full length mirrors, so I can't see my bottom half. Just like we have to reengineer our environment so that we don't eat junk, we have to reengineer our environment so that we think good thoughts.
  • gizmohamster
    Options
    I don't know what you see, but your pictures are beautiful! I do agree that no matter what you look like in the mirror, if you can't stop putting your self down, you should probably speak with a councilor.
  • shansd
    Options
    i have started to question my own obsession with my body image as well and wonder if it is turning into an eating disorder that just isn't as obvious as the regular disorders.
    I feel immense amounts of guilt when i eat something even slightly of the path i have been working on, and trust me I have had no crazy cheat days at all.
    And i look at myself all the time and don't see a difference, I think although i am much smaller that my body actually looks worse now.

But i am worried that these thoughts are unhealthy and obsessive and I have decided to talk to a professional about it.

I think if your obsession interferes with your daily life and constantly takes away from your happiness , that you should deal with it.
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    Dieting can become an obsession. I don't stare at myself for long periods of time because I'll cry but I think you look fantastic especially in the pic of you against the column. So don't be so hard on yourself.
    Maybe it might be a good idea to talk to a gentle therapist.

Your not the only one to obsess over your weight....I feel sometimes since I started this journey that I don't want to "wreck" all the hard work I've done. Like the other night I couldn't take it anymore watching my family eat caramel candies in front of me. There they were staring right at me...the minute the family left the room I dug into the candy bowl & ate 20 of those bad boys. ... as a result I had to work out for 2 hours to work off the 260 calories + my normal exercise with a bursa on my foot.

Anyway....see how it all effects us? Were all going mad I tell you. :noway:

Talk to someone if you are sad & depressed about this....it can't hurt. :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    For anyone who is having issues like this please seek help. Eating disorders are something that do not go away. I have lived my life like this and I would do ANYTHING to prevent someone else from that pain. Please visit the following website and educate yourself on this and find someone with experience that can help you. Its NEVER really about the diet or the food, it is a disease and must be treated as one.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'd be lying if I told you I don't do this every day. I step on that scale every morning and workout like mad and sometimes nothing comes off and it gets frustrating. I try on many of my old outfits that are almost fitting (but wouldn't wear in public yet - hah!). I know that I am doing the best I can, though. I do have to agree with everyone that you should talk to someone if it does interfere, for your sanity's sake. You are absolutely goregous! Really, you are. Keep up the good work!:smile:
  • rockchic9382
    Options
    THank you all for the positive feedback...I was thinkng maybe I should talk to someone, my fiancee doesn't understand at all so it doens't help to talk to him (he never gains a pound...*kitten*...lol) I'm not sad or depressed all day long or anything....but when I look in the mirror I am definitely not happy and I feel I should be. I'm sure there are lots of women who would think I'm insane for thinking I look disgusting but I've always had these issues. Thank you again for your responses, it help immensily to know I'm not alone!!! You all ROCK!!!
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and I haven't been 145 since I first started high school. And I would kill to be able to wear what you're wearing!

But yeah, I'm in therapy. We all feel this way. This site really helps.