Finished my 1st ever 5k today!

Options
LeanerBeef
LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
Yes, first 5k is all done, in the books! It was really fun, running in a race is very different than running solo, especially for a beginner - at least this beginner. I think I started off a little fast but it was hard for me to gauge since I'm still trying to figure this running thing out.

I've been using MFP for a year now. My normal fitness routine included weights followed by walking or using the elliptical. I decided around January that I was going to try a 5k. I began training using the Couch25k program, It was really great to get me used to running. I started stretching it out and running a little longer a couple of weeks ago. I definitely could have trained harder, focusing more on running, but it was hard to break out of my normal routine - which has worked pretty well for me. I will definitely do some more running and probably some more races. My time today was 35:30 (unofficial - nothing posted on the stinking website). I was able to run the entire first 2 miles non-stop and pulled up a little in the last mile. I had to walk some but even the last mile, I ran ALOT more than I walked. I might have walked a quarter mile at most - prior to today I hadn't run more than miles. Now I have something to build on next time.....

Overall, it was a great experience! If I can do it, you do it!! Trust me, it's true! :bigsmile:

Here's me in May 2011 (the miserable, fake tough guy face makes it even more effective, lol)
5-27-11pic4.jpg

And here's me today immediately after crossing the line. Relieved that's it done. :wink:
WP_000335.jpg

And another one from today after a little hydration.
100_0701-1.jpg

Thanks to everyone here on MFP!!

Replies

• bridgeo74
    bridgeo74 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!!
    I hope to post something like this before the end of the year.
    Keep up the good work!!!
  • bfairbanks1982
    bfairbanks1982 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    That is Awesome!! Congrats on the first 5K and the great weight loss as wel!!
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! You have every right to be proud!!!

I dd my first 5KM run in October last year (Run for the Cure), but there was no official time and I had to walk a bit too. Did my first 5KM "official race" in March of this year (Race Around the Bay in Hamilton, ON) and since there were official times, then that gave me a good base point for future ones.

The thrill is great and I found the people to be so nice and motivating that it just makes it fun (tough, but fun! lol). I hope you keep on participating in other races as you are clearly on the right track!
  • Cindy_Fit4Life
    Cindy_Fit4Life Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    That is AWESOME!!!!! You should be so proud :drinker:
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I will always remember my first! Couple hundred races ago, but still fresh in my mind! Congrats!
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    This is so great! I think your time was awesome!

I'm supposed to do my first 5k in about 3 weeks and I don't know whether to be nervous or excited! lol!

Your happy guy smiley face is much friendlier than your tough guy face. :flowerforyou:
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • LeanerBeef
    Options
    This is so great! I think your time was awesome!

I'm supposed to do my first 5k in about 3 weeks and I don't know whether to be nervous or excited! lol!

Your happy guy smiley face is much friendlier than your tough guy face. :flowerforyou:

I surprising nervous....and excited. Good luck to you! :happy:
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Omg! I love your new photos!! You look so awesome and A TON of congrats for finishing your first 5k!!!!!!! Way to go friend! :glasses:
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
    I also did my first 5K today.
    The nervous part was weird for me. It didn't kick in till I was lined up with 45 seconds to start.
    My heart rate monitor started hitting 99. My normal standing heart rate is around the upper 40's.

Great job on the 5K and the weight loss.
  • tnmomof3
    tnmomof3 Posts: 177
    Options
    Yay I did my first 5k race this past weekend its awesome i hope to do more!
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    OK, a now adding this to my goal! Great job friend! Very inspiring!
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    That's totally wonderful. Congrats.

I also just ran my 1st 5K about a week ago. It was so much fun and I can wait to do another race. The goal now for me is to try to run the entire 5K....keep up the great work.
  • LeanerBeef
    Options
    Omg! I love your new photos!! You look so awesome and A TON of congrats for finishing your first 5k!!!!!!! Way to go friend! :glasses:

Thanks Pugz! (and everyone else) Can't wait to be congratulating you on finishing yours. :happy:
  • mgraue82
    mgraue82 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Wooooo hoooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice job!!!! :bigsmile:
  • noahsampeer1
    noahsampeer1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's so nice to see another "big guy" runner out there. I started, back in January, training for a half marathon. When I started, I weighed 219 at 5'9" and could barely get through a couple miles without stopping. Now, I come in at 207 and I finished my 3rd solo 10k. Have you gotten addicted to running outside yet? Good running!
  • mswn02
    mswn02 Posts: 38
    Options
    I love to hear about success stories like this! :drinker:
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Great job on finishing your first 5K. If you need to know you official time, like I do, try www.onlineraceresults.com
    You can search by event name or city. Us the time to motivate you for the next race. Good luck
  • OccupyFitness
    OccupyFitness Posts: 147
    Options
    Hey! I just ran my first official 5k today, too!

**High Five**
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Great job! I love how you wilted, then perked up, like a flower after being hydrated!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!