burning muscles

Options
Okay the lower part of the back of my legs, and sometimes the right foot down by the heal, burn 15 minutes into my walk and continue til end. I weigh 240 and have been walking twice daily for about two weeks. I am up to 5 miles per day. The pain is not bad enough to stop but uncomfortable. Maybe some stretchin ideas?

Replies

• cindyfaye
    cindyfaye Posts: 72
    Options
    Okay the lower part of the back of my legs, and sometimes the right foot down by the heal, burn 15 minutes into my walk and continue til end. I weigh 240 and have been walking twice daily for about two weeks. I am up to 5 miles per day. The pain is not bad enough to stop but uncomfortable. Maybe some stretchin ideas?
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Double check your shoes aren't too tight. I'm being serious.
    I highly reccomend you check out a running shoe store (usually a bunch in college towns) where they will look at your foot and make educated suggestions.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    you mean like sciatica type burn? That means spine issues usually. You should probably have a talk with your doctor, he may want to do an MRI and make sure you don't have a bulging disk or anything.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    1. Stand facing a wall. Put toes up against wall. Lean in. This should work your calves down to your ankles.

2. Roll up a towel tightly. Place behind the knees. Sit down - kneeling with the butt over the ankles - with the towel as close to the knees as possible. This will not feel good at first, but one of the few stretches for the backs of the knees.

3. Place one foot forward, one back, in a semi-straight line
    http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/1675
    lift the front foot, keeping the heel on the ground. If this is easy, lean further forward.

4. Downward dog. If the heels reach the floor, lift the toes.

That should be a good start.:bigsmile:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Oh, am I thinking the wrong part of the leg? Are you talking calves and ankles, or entire hamstring? Does it start at your hip or below your butt?
  • cindyfaye
    cindyfaye Posts: 72
    Options
    Thank you all.