Heart Rate Monitor usage

Options
newerme15
newerme15 Posts: 128 Member
Ok pals quick question. Do you wear ur HRM ( if you have one) at all times or only when you work out? Mine came in on Tuesday but because I'm home with my family and working 8 hours a day and studying for the MCAT I haven't been able to work out. So yea, at all times or just for working out purposes? Thanks, XOXO

Replies

• mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I only wear it when I work out. A few times, purely out of curiosity, I've worn it at other times to check my heart rate or to see if I could practice some crude biofeedback.

If you wear it all the time you may prematurely wear out the battery. When you're not wearing it, remove the transmitter from the strap.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I only use mine when I workout.
  • Tyeckia
    Tyeckia Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I only wear mine when I work out. It has been a big help because the numbers on MFP and on the workout machines have not been very accurate for me, so that was my big reason for getting it. It's been a great asset!
  • tracybrown73
    tracybrown73 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I wear mine only for work outs :-)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for calorie burns, I'd only use it for cardio burns. They're inaccurate otherwise.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    If it's a heart rate monitor (rather than a bodybugg, kifit or phitbit type thingummy) just use it for working out.
  • smkafka
    smkafka Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend one that is accurate yet easy to use. I want something that just gives me my HR and Calories burned and not to expensive.
  • newerme15
    Options
    Can anyone recommend one that is accurate yet easy to use. I want something that just gives me my HR and Calories burned and not to expensive.

I got the FT4 from amazon and it does just what you are looking for . I got mine for 65 dollars with shipping. Others are a bit more expensive.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I only use it when working out. I dress at work for my evening workouts and then drive to the gym. Sometimes I accidentally start my HRM in transit to the gym. Man does my heart rate spike in evening traffic LOL
  • acresfield
    acresfield Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Somebody up there ^^^ mentioned the fitbit.. which is a fantastic device to do exactly what you were asking. It takes all of the guesswork out of 'how active am i being'. I set all of my settings to sedentary with no planned workouts and the fitbit just adds an adjustment each time I sync. It doesn't pick up all exercise such as circuit training where you are mostly static, and for those times I wear a HRM.
  • nwoolley
    nwoolley Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I wear mine for workouts and any other physical exertion such as cleaning, yardwork etc. Burned over 300 calories yesterday in the yard. I read somewhere that your daily calorie intake already has normal calorie burn included such as walking around etc. So bottom line I want to know what "extra calories" I'm burning each day. I love it!
  • nwoolley
    nwoolley Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    For those of you looking for a good basic monitor I read about it on here somewhere. Bodytronics.com for the Polar ft4, $61.00 and free shipping. Ordered mine a couple of months ago, shipped with no problem and I love it!
  • Olive32214
    Olive32214 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    bump
  • newerme15
    Options
    Bump