Bloating after every meal

Options
Brunner26_2
Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
I'm hoping to find someone who's been in my situation and found an answer. For several months, maybe more, I get really bloated after every meal. Usually by 30 minutes later I'm absolutely huge! I look pregnant! Sometimes it will happen on an empty stomach or after having only a glass of water. There's no pain, and I don't get gassy either. Some things I've tried are: cutting out dairy, going low sodium, eating fewer carbs. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat or how much/little it is. I just saw my doctor, she said to spread my fiber out throughout the day and take antacids for 2 weeks. I've been eating the same amount of fiber and eating several small meals a day for years already.

Has anyone else here gone through this?

Replies

• Brunner26_2
    Options
    Bumping so hopefully someone responds.
  • bitterbrownie
    bitterbrownie Posts: 369
    Options
    i literally just posted a topic on this in general weight loss!

i'm pretty slim for my height etc but whenever/whatever i eat, sometimes not even when i eat my stomach gets really stuck out and big

like you i have no other problems with it, but haven't tried any of the things that you have

here's my topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/587977-feeling-bloated-but-not-full
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    Can I look at your diary? I want to look for similarities.
  • Lea_8D
    Lea_8D Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You saw your doctor, did she do an exam? Or, have you had a pelvic exam recently? Not to sound scary because the likelihood is very low, but I had a situation with ongoing frequent bloating and feeling full after eating very little, and it turned out I had a tumor. Of course it's most likely you don't have that, but it would be wise to rule that out just to be on the safe side.
  • GeminiFairy89
    GeminiFairy89 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That happens to me too. Maybe that's why they call it a "food baby"
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I went through a period of bloating, although it was not as bad as you described. I was checked for celeriac disease, given a colonoscopy, and experimented with my diet., which included eliminating my morning oatmeal (on the theory that it was too much fiber at once) and substituting soy milk for regular milk (in case I was lactose intolerant).
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    You saw your doctor, did she do an exam? Or, have you had a pelvic exam recently? Not to sound scary because the likelihood is very low, but I had a situation with ongoing frequent bloating and feeling full after eating very little, and it turned out I had a tumor. Of course it's most likely you don't have that, but it would be wise to rule that out just to be on the safe side.

I agree. I would be concerned that antacids would mask a more serious condition. But I'm not a doctor.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I went throught this!!!! I did a diet detox for 10 days where I only ate fruits/veggies/smoothies... then I started adding foods back and realized it only happened when I consumed wheat or gluten or milk! So I am now mostly gluten free with a mostly happy tummy :) I had that problem all of my life and had actually come to believe it was a normal feeling :/ I couldn't believe how much better I felt when I did my fruit/veggie detox. I still consume some dairy... some things just don't affect me as much as the milk, I don't drink regular milk anymore. And I still eat some gluten/wheat containing foods only on occasion, just because it's so hard to avoid, but I usually suffer after eating it so i keep it to a rare occasion. I don't know if it's gluten or just wheat, I haven't had allergy testing done. But I would recommend an elimination diet to see what's causing it. It may just be dietary. If you are still having problems no matter what you eat, I would see a doctor, but you could give it a week or so to know for sure. My SIL went through something similar and it was her gallbladder.

I saw your orginal post where you said sometimes it happens after only water or on an empty stomach... but I still wanted to post my experience for other readers who may just be having the problem after meals. I hope you get it figured out... :heart:
  • karmamaof2
    karmamaof2 Posts: 22
    Options
    Have you ever tried to eliminate all sources of wheat and gluten from your diet? What you describe sounds very similar to the reaction that I get when I've had an accidental gluten exposure. I looked at your food diary, and you don't seem to have an excess of fiber, but I did see a lot of wheat, barley, and oats, which are all sources of gluten.
  • Brunner26_2
    Options

She percussed on my stomach and listened to it. She said things sounded and felt normal. It wasn't bloated at the time. She thinks it's dietary.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I second, third or fourth the people that say you may have a gluten sensitivity...may not be an all out allergy, but a sensitivity nonetheless. Bloating is a horrible feeling, I hope you figure it out!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Possibly yeast (candida) overgrowth in the gut.

http://www.mymiracletea.com/html/fungus_and_yeast_in_the_colon.html

Now, that info contains an ad for some tea I don't know anything about, however, it does explain a possibility.

You can try Apple Cider Vinegar, 3T, 3x/day. It tastes awful, but it helps. Have a big glass of water ready as a chaser.

You can also try Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. That tastes much better.

You can google both of these things and try them if you like. There is also a candida-free diet.

good luck.

blessings.
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Milk does that to me, even if its only a little in tea.
    so i replaced it with soyamilk. haven't tried goat's milk yet,
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to find someone who's been in my situation and found an answer. For several months, maybe more, I get really bloated after every meal. Usually by 30 minutes later I'm absolutely huge! I look pregnant! Sometimes it will happen on an empty stomach or after having only a glass of water. There's no pain, and I don't get gassy either. Some things I've tried are: cutting out dairy, going low sodium, eating fewer carbs. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat or how much/little it is. I just saw my doctor, she said to spread my fiber out throughout the day and take antacids for 2 weeks. I've been eating the same amount of fiber and eating several small meals a day for years already.

Same use to happen to me...Gluten , gluten gluten at least in my case. I only buy gluten free products now and my health and especially energy levels have improved dramaticaly. No more bloating either.
  • bytemeeeeee
    bytemeeeeee Posts: 174
    Options

A lack of digestive enzymes can lead to bloating and gas, an overgrowth of yeast, parasites, food allergies, unbalanced gut bacteria, constipation, indigestion, and other health issues. Since our levels of digestive enzymes decline as we age, many nutritionists recommend that everyone over the age of thirty five take a daily digestive enzyme supplement. I also take a probiotic...this helped me LOTS!