What to do w/ Tofu?

Options
amykluver
amykluver Posts: 184 Member
Got some extra firm tofu thinking I'd get creative... and now that I have it home I'm not feeling very creative. Help please! (Ps - I don't have any ****aki mushrooms or anything - so the simpler the better for now).

Replies

• SkyMusic
    SkyMusic Posts: 43
    Options
    I love tofu. Tofu tofu tofu ahhhh I could rave about it all day.

Two words for you: stir. fry.

Toss in broccoli, cauliflower, shirataki noodles, asparagus, zucchini, bell peppers, sweet potato chunks, crushed nuts, snap peas, water chestnuts, and tofu in a stir fry pan with a little veggie oil. SO light in cals so you can eat a ton of it and it's so delicious.
  • _HeyMommy_
    _HeyMommy_ Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am new to the tofu world as well. The only thing i have tried was dicing it up into little cubes and frying it up
    with chopped onions and garlic salt. Kinda tasted like hashbrowns......
  • BrittaneyHG
    BrittaneyHG Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Chop it into little squares and cook it on a pan with a little oil for about 10 mins but some seasoning on it (like you would chicken) then add it to spaghetti sauce and put it over some pasta!!!!
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    http://peasandthankyou.com/2011/04/05/tofu-love/

Tofu Tacos!!!
    Boyfriend and I eat this about once a week....it's quick and delicious!
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    teriyaki tofu from the biggest loser YUMMMM
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Have an oriental store?

Buy a packet of Korean BBQ.

Add scallions, water & oil. Marinate tofu for 24 hours and let the flavor soak in.

This is excellent! Tastes like eating steak.

stir fry
  • lorazaruba
    lorazaruba Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Have always wanted to try it so here is my chance!!! :)
  • Catjag
    Catjag Posts: 107
    Options
    I cut mine into chunks, coat it in nonfat plain Greek yogurt, roll it in panko breadcrumbs and brown in a pan with a bit of olive oil. Serve over spaghetti squash and red sauce with a sprinkle of cheese.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I put it on a plate and put another plate on top to press some of the water out, then I put it in the cast iron with either some Old Bay, Chef Paul, or just fry it up and add some Trader Joe's Red Curry sauce.

This looked good too:
    http://recipes.xgfx.org/2011/04/the-crispiest-tofu/
  • ammcmaho
    ammcmaho Posts: 3
    Options
  • elisabej
    elisabej Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do a stir fry with mine, heat up 2 tablespoons healthy oil in a pan, sautee a spoonful each of minced garlic & ginger, add onions and go until onions are cooked, I throw in some crunchy peanut butter (1/2 cup- 1 cup) add any veggies desired (brocolli, snap peas, water chestnuts, etc) and 1/2 cup water, stir, cover and let cook for 3-5 minutes. Then I toss in my cubed tofu, stir and cover another 2 minutes. I serve solo or over rice. My hubby thought the tofu was tender chicken! :)
  • amykluver
    amykluver Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!! Thank you all for the ideas. I am "down" with a digestive issue (gastroenterisits) - so I can't wait to feel better (so these can sound better) and I can try them!!!

How long will my unopened package be good in the fridge?