how long should i wait to exercise after eating?

Options
I try to eat every 2.5, eating a total of 6 times a day. I work, out every other day doing 20 mins of cardio, 10 min of abs and an hour to an hour an a half of full body strength training... so that's 1.5 - 2 hrs of exercise. So if I eat at 8am, I'd have to start working out by 8:30am to be done by 10:30am. Half an hour is not long enough to to wait before eating. How are you suppose to fit in a long workout and still eat 5-6 times per day as recommended?

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    What are you doing that's taking 1 1/2 hours? You don't have to eat every 5-6 hours. I usually wait 1-2 hours to exercise just so my stomach doesn't get upset.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I think you're being a little bit too stiff in your regiment. If you eat first, wait until your stomach feels comfortable before you workout. If you workout first, eat when you're hungry afterward.
  • SDawgW
    SDawgW Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I posted this article in a previous thread a few months ago. Hope it helps :smile:

http://health.msn.com/fitness/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100146039
  • metalpalace
    Options
    What are you trying to condition your body for? If it's total fitness then you are working out for too long. An hour a day is perfect for most people. Work out two hours after your last meal. By then three to four hours has passed between meals, perfect!
  • fitnesspal456
    fitnesspal456 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Not training for anything, other than weight loss and toned muscle. I agree that anything more than an hour is too long! But I don't want to be in the gym everyday, I'd like to do cardio on my own at home in between the 3 days a week that I'll do full body weights at the gym. I was going to alternate upper body and lower body days but only want to be at the gym 3 days a week.

20 mins cardio warm up
    10 mins abs
    45-60 full body weights