Fatter than I thought...

Options
A few years ago, I started outdoor rock climbing with my boyfriend. I bought a harness and rock-climbing shoes, and since he had the rest of the equipment, we were all set. I wasn't as heavy (obese) then as I am now, but I as still overweight, and I had fun. I loved the personal challenge of climbing higher even when I thought I couldn't.

Last year, we didn't do any rock climbing at all because my boyfriend was working full time and going to school nights and weekends (yes, school on the weekend). During that same time, I went through an extremely stressful period at work and ate my way through it. I gained 25 pounds in two months.

I tried my harness on today as we were getting ready to head out to "tickle the rocks" as my boyfriend would say, and my harness is wayyyyyyy too tight. I barely got it on, and almost couldn't get it off!

I'm so sad. I was very excited this morning at the idea of getting back out there, and pushing my mental limits. Now, the walls are even thicker and chock full of "You're fat. You're a loser. You'll never be thin."

It's funny, though. I wasn't as sad about my weight before I tried my harness on. And it's not like I instantly gained weight as I tried to slide it up my legs. I have even lost 15 pounds since January! I think it's just definitive proof that I have done a lot of damage, and that I have a long road ahead of me.

Here's to getting my "fun-filled summer of rock climbing" off to a terrible start.

Replies

• sbb7249
    sbb7249 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I've had thoughts like that in the past and it led to me not caring which led to more weight gain. I've set several mini goals for myself this time and that has helped keep me on track. I get overwhelmed when I think about how much I want to lose, but when I do, I think of a saying that goes: "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time". Weight loss is our elephant. You can get there, just remember it's one bite at a time. Good luck!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    1. You are NOT disgusting or gross or any of those horrible words no matter what size you are.

2. You are making steps in the right direction so turn this horrible incident around and make it a goal to fit back in that harness. Let that help motivate you when you're feeling down.

3. You've lost 15 lbs!!! Just some visual representation of that in case you need help:

15 lbs of tomatoes
    2247661244_de8dd5a49e.jpg

15 lb fish
    117684d1316197886t-lance-15-lbs.jpg

15 lb burger

15lb_a.jpg

15 lbs is no trivial amount of weight to lose!
  • carrie31023
    carrie31023 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Been there and done that! Hang in there girl! YOU are well worth it! One tiny baby step at a time and before you know it you will have to buy a new harness!! Add me if you like, I'm new on here and would love to have and give support! Have a wonderful day!
  • traceywaugh
    traceywaugh Posts: 144
    Options
    and you are on the right road it wont be long until you are climbing high again
  • vaniferra
    vaniferra Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Holy moly! Those pictures that show representations of 15 lbs sure are surprising! Thank you so much for your words of encouragement, everyone. I went to the mall today and bought Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and some free weights. I've seen many people on here talk about it. I decided to that I have to do more if anything's going to change. I'm still sad, and discouraged but you guys are definitely helping me! THANK YOU, THANK YOU THANK YOU!