Peanut butter

Options
Trying to decide today whether to get regular peanut butter or that nasty Trader Joe's Better n Peanut Butter. The latter is way lower in calories, which would be easier to incorporate into my diet.

Real peanut butter is actually a huge binge food for me, but I'm starting to feel deprived and sad without it. If I can somehow manage to control myself, I think it would be nice to have around.

So...should I shoot for the safer option or get the real deal?

Replies

• Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I gotta have my real peanut butter
  • westmitten
    westmitten Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge PB addict too! For now, I can't even have it in the house because I usually end up eating it by the spoonfuls. I don't think it would hurt to try the TJ's substitute... you might even end up liking it!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Go with PB2 and chocolate PB2!! I eat them daily to satisfy the peanut butter need. I do have a tablespoon of the real stuff every now and then because, well it's just awesome.

-M
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want. I eat 2-3 tbsp every day.
  • KCMinn
    KCMinn Posts: 20
    Options
    LOVE the real deal, but eat a lot of PB2 instead to cut down on fat/calories.
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Real deal... For sure...
  • kdrew1
    kdrew1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Peter Pan makes a "whipped" PB that is 1/3 less sugar and 150 calories/2 tablespoons (normal PB is 200/tb). It is delicious and slightly better than regular. I swear by it now...
  • RandomMiranda
    RandomMiranda Posts: 298
    Options
    Jiff makes the little individual serving size packs. I'm sure it's not cost efficient, but it might help with portions to avoid binging if you want the real stuff.
    Speaking of which, I might go put some on a rice cake right now.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Real deal. It's one thing I will never cut out of my menu.
  • jaireed
    jaireed Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Get what you like. If you're going to eat it you may as well enjoy it or you'll still fee deprived. Just give yourself a limit.
  • HeHealsMe
    HeHealsMe Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    How funny,
    I was just sitting here at my computer desk w/ a jar of P.Butter in front of me, but no spoon. Was actually trying to get some out using a STRAW from my soda..

Yes, very addicted to P.Butter, but someone told me to get the PB2..
    I just think I will reorganize my diet to have the real stuff, PLUS a TBL of Nutella too.:devil:
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    I am trying to stick to healthy foods so stick with proper PB, What is this substitute? and is it full of chemicals and flavourings? If so, definitely stick with the real deal! Yummy and healthy.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I could binge on PB too. I go with the real stuff, but I weigh every serving to get an accurate calorie count since it is so dense. I found out what I thought was a tablespoon was actually 2.

I use a digital scale, tare the spoon, scoop and weigh. The trouble I go to helps prevent me from sneaking more than intended.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Trying to decide today whether to get regular peanut butter or that nasty Trader Joe's Better n Peanut Butter. The latter is way lower in calories, which would be easier to incorporate into my diet.

Real peanut butter is actually a huge binge food for me, but I'm starting to feel deprived and sad without it. If I can somehow manage to control myself, I think it would be nice to have around.

Real deal. The Better n Peanut Butter is GROSS! I couldn't even eat it in cookies.
  • nataliefallbach
    Options
    peanut butter, peanut butter, love the real deal!!!!!
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I eat PB2 - it's actually really good!
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I am a former "eat by the spoon" person but I know that's it's one of the reasons why I got so big.

I was then turned off by it for a long while. Since starting MFP, I bought my first jar of peanut butter in a year or so. I find that having a calorie restriction (that MFP gave me) stops me from over-indulging. And peanut butter just tastes better when it is used properly (on toast)
  • kate_sunflower
    kate_sunflower Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Maybe this seems high maintenance but I find myself mixing low calorie options with high calorie options. So for instance, on your sandwich, spread 1/2 the serving of each and have the best of both worlds. Now if you can have the PB in your home without binging on it I understand can be scary. Buy try it and telling yourself that "okay I can have this tomorrow for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if I want to!" (in the appropriate portion and listening to your body of course) and you will be so much less likely to binge.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Real peanut butter, it's much healthier. Healthy fats, that's what peanut butter is.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's makes a really good natural pb. You should get it, the "Better 'n' Peanut Butter" stuff is processed junk. It may be lower in cals but it's far from healthy.