SADDLEBAGS :(

Options
A lil help? How do I get rid of these gross fatty areas? Hate these saddlebags. The rest of me is looking good. :) What are some exercises I can do? Or what is a program that will specifically target these areas?

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I've got em too, and unfortunately, we can't spot reduce. Since saddlebags are basically just an area we store fat, it's just going to take us losing more fat in general for them to disappear...squats, lunges, deadlifts, etc are great for strengthening and building the muscle in the thigh/butt area to kinda move that fat loss along, but some of us are just cursed in that the saddlebag area is the last to go :( Sorry I'm not more helpful, I feel your pain though!
  • pugsley5
    pugsley5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    get a stepping stool and 10 pound weights. Step up and down and your saddlebags will melt away...:smile:
  • islaybower
    islaybower Posts: 57
    Options
    I have saddlebags, and it's only now I'm down to 140lbs and fit enough to REALLY work out hard that they're beginning to go down a bit. I think if that's where you store weight, the only solution is to lose more, sadly :grumble:

I'm sure there are some strengthening exercises that will improve muscle tone underneath (any kind of side kick exercise is bound to help, as well as squats etc to tone behind) amd therefore improve your silhouette, but straightforward running seems to have made the most difference to mine, for some reason. Possibly it's that starting running coincided with getting slim enough that I finally started to lose to stupid side-baggage.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I've had the best results with that area by doing the band work in Chalene Johnson's Lower Body Jam and Live Booty Sculpt workouts. She has you tie a resistance band in a loop and put it around your ankles for standing leg work. I've never had so much burn on my outer thighs.

Marissa Tomei has an exercise DVD "Core & Curves" which uses a loop band too but, personally, I found her workout too difficult.

Good luck!
  • jenna_scott
    jenna_scott Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have them too and they are awful, I hate them. Fat does not follow the FIFO (first in first out) rule it follows the FILO (first in last out) rule. When I gain weight I gain it in the saddle bag area first, then in the booty and hips. The last places I put it on are my face, arms, and belly, that is where it comes off of me first. I am midway to my goal weight and a feel like my saddle bags are even more prominent now. But I think that is because I have taken weight off in all the other places, I am hoping they start melting away soon too. Unfortunately we can't spot burn fat so we just have to get down to a low body fat percentage for them to go away…One thing I did read and it makes sense is that you can help to break up the fat by doing deep tissue message. So when I am in the shower I rub down those nasty saddle bags and I talk to them and I say “You can go now, I don't need you, we have plenty to eat, no one likes you or wants to see you, so please leave and don’t come back.”
    On the bright side however they say people like us that carry their weight in their legs and bottoms are at a lower risk for heart disease then a person who carries their weight in their mid-section. So I go that going for me!
  • Jacleepin
    Jacleepin Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have them too and they are awful, I hate them. Fat does not follow the FIFO (first in first out) rule it follows the FILO (first in last out) rule. When I gain weight I gain it in the saddle bag area first, then in the booty and hips. The last places I put it on are my face, arms, and belly, that is where it comes off of me first. I am midway to my goal weight and a feel like my saddle bags are even more prominent now. But I think that is because I have taken weight off in all the other places, I am hoping they start melting away soon too. Unfortunately we can't spot burn fat so we just have to get down to a low body fat percentage for them to go away…One thing I did read and it makes sense is that you can help to break up the fat by doing deep tissue message. So when I am in the shower I rub down those nasty saddle bags and I talk to them and I say “You can go now, I don't need you, we have plenty to eat, no one likes you or wants to see you, so please leave and don’t come back.”
    On the bright side however they say people like us that carry their weight in their legs and bottoms are at a lower risk for heart disease then a person who carries their weight in their mid-section. So I go that going for me!

That is an awesome mantra! Lol.

“You can go now, I don't need you, we have plenty to eat, no one likes you or wants to see you, so please leave and don’t come back.”

Love it.
  • Jacleepin
    Jacleepin Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    get a stepping stool and 10 pound weights. Step up and down and your saddlebags will melt away...:smile:

That sounds easy enough. I think I'll try this first. Thanks!
  • jayfig
    jayfig Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Heard Brazilian butt lift workout does wonders with that!
  • BaliRun
    BaliRun Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    This is such a frustrating problem for us woman and one that I am all too familiar with. So I started doing a little research of my own. There are many physiological reasons why it is hard for woman to lose the fat on our thighs. You lose all this weight, look anorexic on top and still look fat on our lower body. It has has to do partly to lack of blood flow to this particular area, the type of fat cells, hormones, insulin and many other factors which I will not bore you with.

Before you will ever lose any of the body fat in the thighs your body will burn from areas were fat is more easily released such as visceral fat, upper body and even abdomen, the last area were most woman will lose the fat is the thighs. So what does this mean? it means you have to reduce overall fat first and then you can target these other area.

Nutrition plays a big role as well as increasing muscle mass.

I am working on this myself now, I am on the first stages of changing my plan of action. I will re post results (hopefully soon)

I will like to add a little note on something that I have noted to work for me: Pilates and Bar Method workouts, I know they not a big calorie burning workouts but I have noticed that while adding Pilates to my workouts has not shown a difference on the scale it has made a significant difference on how my lower body looks. booty more toned and thighs slimmer. Just give it a try, it cant hurt, right?