camping

Options
i would like some ideas for food ideas for camping

Replies

• LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Well, one of our favorite things to do for camping is to make aluminum foil packets of chopped potatoes, bell peppers, and onions. You literally just chop it all up, add a lot of garlic salt, some olive oil, and then just fold the edges in to make a nice little packet that looks like pillow. We usually cut up the packets beforehand, stick them in a cooler, and then take them out when we're ready to make dinner. You can just put it on a grill, or directly on the coals in the fire, and it all cooks up within about 20 minutes. Tasty, tasty. You can also add bits of meat, like chopped bacon, chicken, beef, or whatever, and they all cook up easily.
  • karaemoore
    karaemoore Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I know it's not the same, but I use Morningstar Farms soy dogs and whole wheat hot dog buns. For burgers, I use Boca. Fruit and veggies pack well in a cooler and I have a friend who brings fresh fish. Just keep up on the ice. I live on rice cakes now and the Aldi cheddar ones are the best. I would also bring potatoes to bake over the fire. Hope this helps a little. Happy Camping!!

Oh, almost forgot! Chicken cooked over the flames is also great!!! You can also do packets ahead of time with chicken and veggies ready to go over the flames when you want them!!
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    I do simple pancakes for breakfast. 1 cup flour, 2 tsp baking power, pinch of salt. I premake and bring along in old margarine tubs. When I'm ready to cook, I whisk one egg, add one cup milk and my dry mix and voila - best camping pancakes ever.

Lunch - grilled cheese over a campfire is always a hit. I like to grab some multi-grain bread, with a sharper cheese. Serve with carrot sticks, celery sticks, or a few potato chips on the side.

Dinner - have to bbq or cook over the fire. One pot chicken stew, or grilled chicken / steak / chops with potatoes and carrots. I grill the veggies in foil pouches. Make a double layer of foil, pile your chopped veggies in the middle, and add a bit of butter, salt and papper. Double wrap to seal well, and cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally. Serve right out of the foil pouches, and easy cleanup. Your meat can grill right along side.

And of course, s'mores for dessert over the coals of that campfire!
  • EEpling89
    EEpling89 Posts: 152
    Options
    For the lazy approach, I do turkey sandwiches on whole wheat. I love all the other ideas above!
  • amy12321
    amy12321 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes with nut butters, fruit, peeled and chopped veggies, high fiber cereals with low fat or nonfat milk. And any lean meats you can grill (don't know if your'e bringing a grill or if there's any way you can refrigerate though)
  • pakrat77
    pakrat77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Really, going camping with the right planning doesn't have to change what you eat a whole lot.
    Also I tend to be a lot more active when camping than I normally am, so I've got a little more wiggle room. Though keeping up with boy/cub scouts adds to that too. :)
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I agree with foil packets, we do it with a lot of different kinds of food as well. Campfire chicken also take a whole chicken season inside and out and serious aluminum wrap it drop in fire pit and let it cook depending on size of bird time just like in oven yum.... We also cook in old coffee cans lin with aluminum and add ingredients sit in fire and cooked
  • crash_clu
    crash_clu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Is it light weight camping and hiking, or just a standing camp where you can take luxuries?

Either way, porridge is great for breakfast; it fills you up and keeps you going for a while =)
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    bump
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Oh so many ideas to write out;
    Bisquik is a quick and healthy solution for a lot I pre-scoop it into sandwich bags and then add water shake and cut the corner off. You can have pancakes; add bacon bits for a muffin/bread; slice up meat for a sandwich.
    I like meals that do not require much clean-up or preparation in the field.
  • crash_clu
    Options
    If you have more time in the morning than late in the day, you can make a stew in a pot with a lid that stays on well (cast iron camp ovens are great as the lid is very heavy), start the stew cooking, then when it's hot, place the whole pot with the lid on inside a wooden box filled with hay/straw. Make sure the pot is in the middle of the box and the pot lid is well fitted so the hay doesn't get it. Put a lid on the box and your stew will cook throughout the day. When it's dinner time, just pull it out of the box and serve it up.

It's an old fashioned slow cooker
  • crash_clu
    Options
    Damper!
    Plain flour and a can of beer. Mix into a dough, tear off pieces and roll them the wrap around a stick and cook over the fire until crusty on th outside. Break bits off and add some jam as you eat. Or you can turn it all into a loaf, wrap in foil and bake on the coals. Again, strawberry/raspberry jam is nicest on it.
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the kind of camping you do. We camp a lot with a pop up camper and a tent. Here are some things we eat.

Breakfast

Pancakes
    Fruit
    Bacon
    Sausage
    Juice

Cereal
    Fruit
    Juice

Eggs
    Bacon
    Sausage

Lunches

Tuna fish
    Chips
    Fruit
    Milk

String cheese
    Pepperoni
    Fruit
    Milk

PB & J
    Chips
    Fruit
    Milk

Ham and cheese sandwiches
    Chips
    Fruit
    Milk

Dinners

Hotdogs
    Cheeseburgers
    Corn on the cob

Chicken Alfredo
    Salad
    Bread and butter
    Coffee milk

Meatballs
    Pasta
    Salad
    Bread
    Coffee milk

Steak tips
    Hotdogs
    Baked potato
    Salad
    Coffee milk

Loaded baked potato
    Green beans
    Pasta
    Coffee milk
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    GOLLY... I want to go camping sooooo bad, but can't get my hubby to buy into it. I grew up camping and all the ideas above are just like my Mom would cook. Always smells so wonderful to cook outdoors. We had wostershire sauce or teriakyi to our foil packets (we call them "hobo meals"). Yummy...

Some day soon, I hope to be camping again !!!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    i would like some ideas for food ideas for camping

OHHHH this is totally easy!!!!
    Time to grill up some kebabs!!! Skewer up some vegetable skewers, chicken skewers, steak tip skewers, pork, shrimp - make sure they are all cut relatively the same size. Create some seasoning rubs of your own, or marinades and have them soaking or rubbed up with it.

Make up some pouches and fill them with zukes/summer squash, some sliced gahhhhlic cloves, salt, pepper and a little olive oil or butter... seal them up and cook them over the fire on a grate...MMMMMMMMMMM

I make a big honkin' huge pot of chili the minute I get up... I made two pots one time, one for us, and one to share with the neighboring campers (because some of them woke up to the smell of the bacon I used for the chili, drove them NUTS!), fresh vegetables, tomato-base, spices, seasonings, etc...

Whole fish cooks VERY well over an open flame - its helpful to get those grilling tools where you fit the fish in the basket and secure it down.

A good thing to do when you are getting ready for the trip... prep everything ahead.... keep your diced onions and garlic in their own separate sealed bags. Dice up your peppers ahead. Keep mushroom whole and slice as you need them that way they dont go bad fast on you.

You could easily wisk up your eggs and put them in a sturdy container that you can shake up and use as needed.

Meats: marinate/season rub them ahead of time, place in a sealable and sturdy zip-locked type bag, then put into a sealable container to help prevent leakage...
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Damper!
    Plain flour and a can of beer. Mix into a dough, tear off pieces and roll them the wrap around a stick and cook over the fire until crusty on th outside. Break bits off and add some jam as you eat. Or you can turn it all into a loaf, wrap in foil and bake on the coals. Again, strawberry/raspberry jam is nicest on it.

OH MY GAWD, WE DO THIS TOO!!!! Ill make the beer biscuits this way for sopping up my homemade chili over the pit, the guys will take these biscuits and sop up the juices from my steak tips that are marinated...
  • gracias60
    gracias60 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for letting know what to do. I appreciate it all!!!!