Cholesterol Exams

Options
:noway:
Just received my cholesterol exams and they turned out to be terrible news!! 270 total cholesterol... OMG!!! Ups.. Then I figured out that I needed a diet and exercise program and began this one.. Hope to have a lot of support from you all..

Replies

• cgray
    cgray Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have horrible cholesterol. My doctor said that because my good & bad are both high, I work out regularly, and I'm underweight it is probably genetic. But because I'm adopted I can't exactly ask my parents about their cholesterol levels. I don't eat even my daily allounce of colosterol, but I do have to watch my saturated fats. Good luck.
  • carodevis
    carodevis Posts: 3
    Options
    A first step, I decided to change my breakfast. I always had 2 eggs with some orange juice and a piece of bread. Now I´m having fruits with some cereal (special K).
    As second step, I have not eaten red meat during this weekend.
    And finally, I usually play tennis twice during the weekends... I will try to come back home walking since tomorrow, at least once during the week.
    I´m not sure if medicine is a good choice. I decided first to try a healthier diet and, if it does not work, then I´ll consider cholesterol medicine...
    Are you taking medicine for cholesterol?
    I´ll let you know..
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Try your best to stay off the meds.
    I had a bad reaction with Crestor and Lipitor.
    My body just doesnt like the statins.

My doc prescribed me fish oil called Lovaza.
    That along with a better diet and much more exercise helped lower me to normal levels.
    But over the holidays (Thanksgiving-New Years) I didnt do too good with my diet and even though I was exersizing my numbers went back over 200. For me its genetic, I am not overweight, and I dont eat lots of red meat or sugars. Just something I will have to watch.

My advice..
    Increase your fiber intake - I shoot for 25g a day - as much as your body tolerates (the more the better)
    Lower your sugar intake (pastries, baked goods-breads, and sweets)
    Start a regular cardio routine, whatever you enjoy. - put it on your schedule so there's no excuses.
    Take some form of fish oil

Do this for 3-6 months then go back for a follow up test.
    If your numbers are still high consider the meds. (I know plenty of folks taking them with no issues)
    Unfortunately my body objects to them. :)

Good luck!
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I have Familial Hypercholesterolaemia and take statins with no problems, as do all my siblings. They are all rake thin (I'm the odd one out) and we all have sky-high cholesterol if untreated. My doc said that with really careful diet and exercise it's possible to lower your cholesterol by about 10%. If you start at the sort of levels my family has that's still ridiculously high. I tried a vegan diet with no animal products whatsoever and lots of oatbran. It produced HUGE amounts of wind and my cholesterol went up. Good luck with the fitness program - it's good for your health. And if you have to take the meds I hope you have no problems with them - like the majority who do take them.
  • smartin9912
    smartin9912 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    2400 mg of fish oil a day, and Red Brewers Yeast. Mine was high too my doc would not put me on anything and I work out like a plow horse and track every calorie had a massive weight gain and had all sorts of test done to determine why with the diet and workout regime I had why i had agained ..... other issues besides high Cholestorol however, mine finally dropped from 250 to 196 it took a long time. Good luck
  • lederermc
    lederermc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My cholesterol was not that high but enough to motivate my doctor to prescribe meds. He has me on Advicor and my cholesterol is now very good: total about 160mg, Hdl 50mg. The you need to start on a low dose to tolerate the side effects then up the dose over a period of a few months. It was worth the PITA. I have no side effects now. Side effects are basically you feel like you have a mild sunburner.
  • melzenitram
    melzenitram Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    just got my labs back...in one month my total cholesterol dropped 47 points and my triglycerides dropped 44 points. i couldn't take crestor bc it would keep me awake. i just changed my diet and added exercise. he still want me to go on medication but i really don't want to.
  • uk_angeldust
    uk_angeldust Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I got my lab tests back too- and ridiculously high. My doc thinks my meds are not working? is that possible???
  • xJenBenx
    xJenBenx Posts: 12
    Options
    I gave up cheese completly and cut down on saturated fats, my cholesterol went from 6.3 to 5.3, so it was the cheese for me!
    If there is anything like that that you are eating a lot of I would cut that completly as the first step, I wouldnt have guessed Cheese would have that much of an effect on me! Im also having benecol every morning and that seems to have worked, but yes regular excercise is meant to work wonders aswell
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    That was one of the big motivators for me when I joined last year. I was able to drop my levels quite a bit after I started watching my diet and running a couple times a week. My doctor actually laughed in disbelief when I went back in. No meds for me!

Another thing to look out for - and my downfall - is baked goods. The fact that you can see your daily cholesterol intake on here is fabulous. Best of luck with it!
  • Jelio13
    Jelio13 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is part of the reason I had to change my diet and exercise routine. My cholesterol way way up!
    I'm doing better now and so far have lost over 15 lbs. This website and pals are really helping me!
    Are you on meds too?
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    mine at one time was 199, now its about 100, more or less

read my bio, says what I did, but its the change you have to do......exercise, good sleep, diet and exercise and drink tons of water

good luck, I like the post about cholesterol and high blood pressure....its important now in your life, so when you get to be my age, you wont be in declining health

an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..............words of wisdom