Just getting started but....

Options
I went to the gym today for the first time EVER!!! Got in 55min of cardio between the elliptical and the treadmill. I start sessions with a personal trainer later this week where I hope to work on strength training as well.

This is a major victory for me because I have always had major gym anxiety and would never set foot inside. Today not only did I go in and work out but there were several other people there and I did not feel like running right back out the door! Go me! :-)

Replies

• hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    nice job! gyms can be intimidating. The personal trainer can show you how to use some of the machines that look like torture racks!

congrats, go you!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Take an iPod with you. It's much less scary when you're in your own world. I tend to listen to books while I work out. Good intense murder mysteries!
  • timjm25
    timjm25 Posts: 7
    Options
    Great job!!!

I feel the same way, so I grabbed some of the beachbody videos (P90X, Insanity) and started doing those at home.

Keep up the great work!
  • Dozrzz
    Dozrzz Posts: 245
    Options
    Congrats! Take an iPod with you. It's much less scary when you're in your own world. I tend to listen to books while I work out. Good intense murder mysteries!

Thanks! That is a great idea! I always listen to a good murder mystery on long road trips!
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Way to go!

I think to many people who have rarely or never set foot in a gym get intimidated by looking like they are out of shape, don't know how to use some of the equipment or are simply scared off by thinking it's a testosterone filled man cave. At 99.9% of gyms that is not true at all. Nobody walked into a gym for the first time with a perfect body or knowing exactly what they were doing.

Everyone is going to be different about endurance cardio, but it helps me to put on headphones and zone out into my own little world. Joining an instructor taught class is also a good way to keep motivated.

Hiring a PT to teach you proper technique in strength training is great. If you want to learn how to strength train, insist the trainer teach you how to do it with free weights and/or body weight (push ups, planks, lunges, etc.) so you learn proper form. Most weight machines have instructions written on the side of them, you don't need a PT to help you figure out the machine in that case (or for cardio work either). The best thing a PT can do is teach you how to work out on your own using proper form and a mixed variety of exercises. They work for you, so get your moneys worth out of them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Thanks! That is a great idea! I always listen to a good murder mystery on long road trips!
    And it makes the time pass doesn't it! I have a whole line up of books in my queue. Keeps me motivated.

Congrats again on beating that fear!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!