too low calories?

Options
okay so today i ate oatmeal and ceviche. neither of those are very high in calories so right now i have like 600 calories left over but i dont want to just sit there and pig out when im not even hungry. cuz 600 calories is a whole other meal. ill prolly have another bowl of oatmeal before i go to bed (cuz im addicted) but thats only around another 100 something calories. is having around 500 extra calories left over in a day bad?

Replies

• sarahkittymeow
    Options
    It's really hard for me to meet my calorie goal too, especially since, like you said, I don't want to eat when I'm not hungry!
    But it's important to try to get as close as you can (while attempting to eat clean, of course) especially if you're working out. Remember, if you're chillin all day and barely even moving, it's not like you need that many calories to function anyway. But if you're trying to get fit then try your best to reach your limit :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It is when it's 40% of your daily goal....

Add some peanut butter to your oatmeal or a scoop of protein powder. Have some fruit or veggies. Or nuts or yogurt or a treat even.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    You should really try to get some protein in. If you do not have any protein then your body can't repair the muscles that you exercise. I would say that 60 grams per day would be the minimum you want to get. You don't want to lose muscle, muscle burns more fat so you want as much of that as possible.
  • joeq722
    joeq722 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think it is. Your daily calorie goal already includes the deficit required for the weight loss per week you requested.
    When you leave uneaten calories at the end of the day, I think you are making it tougher on yourself by making yourself hungry..

My feeling is that eating all of your calories in a day will enable you to stay at this longer.

Just my opinion.
  • timjm25
    timjm25 Posts: 7
    Options
    I would just try and match your target calorie total for the day, depending on you weight loss/maintenance programs and goal.
  • xPOOKiEx
    xPOOKiEx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I added in a protein shake...but I made it into a delicious smoothie!

I put 1 cup of ice, 1/2 cup of frozen strawberries, 1 cup of milk and 1 scoop of IntraPro Whey Protein Powder

Yum! Or peanut butter will do :) sounds like you do need more protein
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I leave calories on the table almost everyday....but they are execise calories not the minimum that MFP has given me to eat. I leave most of my exercise calories on the table but do eat up to 1/3 of them back if I am hungry enough (I find I eat more on lifting days and less on cardio days). My doctor has reviewed what I am doing and has said that I couldn't do it much healthier - he has no problem with me not eating all of the exercise calories. I have been misplacing approx. 11.5 lbs/month for the past 4 months.
  • DenverKos
    DenverKos Posts: 182
    Options
    okay so today i ate oatmeal and ceviche.

Yes, this is not enough calories. We're not even talking about eating exercises calories. oatmeal and ceviche is not enough calories on any given day. Strive to reach a minimum of 1200 calories a day. Looking at your food journal for today, you're arent eating enough. You'll stall your weight loss and slow your metabolism if you continue eating like this.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    ill prolly have another bowl of oatmeal before i go to bed (cuz im addicted) but thats only around another 100 something calories. is having around 500 extra calories left over in a day bad?

Are you sure you're measuring your oatmeal properly? Oatmeal is a food I consider calorie dense and tend to limit quite a bit. One cup of dry oatmeal is 300 cals. I'd recommend measuring it out with measuring cups sometime to make sure you're not majorly underestimating your portions on it.
  • nicolo333
    nicolo333 Posts: 44
    Options
    Are you sure you're measuring your oatmeal properly? Oatmeal is a food I consider calorie dense and tend to limit quite a bit. One cup of dry oatmeal is 300 cals. I'd recommend measuring it out with measuring cups sometime to make sure you're not majorly underestimating your portions on it.
    [/quote]

yes i measure it. the bag i buy says 1/5 cup of oatmeal is 180 calories. plus i add in my milk and the brown sugar that i use. i accidently wrote the wrong calories on here but it is right in my journal. but i love the oatmeal. once i started eating that for breakfast is when i really started losing the weight. and its healthy so i wouldnt give up on your oatmeal just yet!
  • nicolo333
    nicolo333 Posts: 44
    Options
    You should really try to get some protein in. If you do not have any protein then your body can't repair the muscles that you exercise. I would say that 60 grams per day would be the minimum you want to get. You don't want to lose muscle, muscle burns more fat so you want as much of that as possible.

my problem is i find it hard to exercise. i just had a baby 6 months ago and i work.. so the times where im free im sleeping lol so idk how much protein i should be eating cuz ive heard eating too much protein when you dont work out will make you fat but idk if thats true?