Water Filters

Options
gpstrucker
gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
For the first time in my life I am now drinking a lot of water. All day long, with meals, etc. I avoid tap water because I travel all over the country and simply do not trust the tap water in many areas. I am finding that bottled water is costing me a small fortune.

I am considering trying to save money by buying one of those Britta water filter pitchers and just filtering local tap water through that. Do they really filter out bacteria and chemicals? Are they worth the money? How long would it take for it to pay for itself?

I know back when I did a lot of hiking and camping I had a small reverse osmosis filter that worked really well, but was very expensive and somewhat slow. I can't afford one of those, or the time to do the filtering, so am considering what practical and affordable alternatives are available.

It's crazy when a bottle of water is more expensive that gasoline.

Replies

• gpstrucker
    Options
    Nobody?
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on which filter you get what it filters, but i don't think they are good for bacteria... its mostly for filtering out copper, etc - to make it taste better.... If you are truly concerned about bacteria you would have to boil it... But it does make clean tap water taste better. IMO (I have one)
  • Deeranged1
    Deeranged1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I like the britta filter it works well! I use the pur filter also perfer it over britta!
  • sortin
    sortin Posts: 78
    Options
    I had a Brita pitcher with a filter.

I ended up using the pitcher to filter the water, then storing the filtered water in a bottle so it can always be cold.
    Yes, they do filter the water enough that it tastes ok. But then our tap water doesn't taste bad as some places.
  • Love2HikeMT
    Love2HikeMT Posts: 42
    Options
    I travel with my Pur water filter...does a great job. Google "water filters" and do a little research. I swear by my Pur filter.
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I love my Brita pitcher. Although I do keep it in the refriderator. My husband works in a city water plant, and according to him, if filters are not changed often enough they can grow things you do not want, that would be work than drinking tap water. In the USA every city must check for bacteria monthly and should be safe. If you are in another courntry, definately go for the bottled water.
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I use a Brita pitcher with filter, I love it. It makes a big difference in taste for my water. I don't think it affects bacteria, though.
  • gpstrucker
    Options
    Thanks folks. I have done the Googling and read the reviews, etc. I just like to get some advice/suggestions from the folks who have actually used them.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My husband is a consultant and every week he'd buy like a 24 pack of water, not pricey considering the per diem but annoying if you fly in late and don't want to go to the store. So I got him a plastic brita individual pack. I know it's plastic and reusing that is questionable, but it's individual and easy. Long term I may look into one of those ones that fills 4 individual bottles at once, but for now the filter in the individual bottle has been a life saver (esp at disney a few weeks ago)
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I have a brita jug and the reusable bottle. I really like both and notice a difference in taste from our regular tap water.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I use Aquasana it's made in america. I use it for the shower and kitchen. I love it! I know you said you travel, the sink connection one probably would be a hassel to bring around, but for the house it's great! And on their website they compare other more popular filters. Check it out, I highly recommend it. They may even have a portable pitcher filter but i'm not sure.

http://www.aquasana.com/category.php?category_id=1
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have a Brtta pitcher. I filter the water and keep a jug in the fridge with it. I also use it for tea, coffee, etc. I think it does a good enough job, as the filtered water tastes good.

I prefer using filtered water, because plastic bottles of all kinds can leak BPA, and there is virtually no regulation on the content of bottle waters. Also, I got tired of picking up empty plastic bottles all over my house!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I hacked my brita to filter gallons of water at a time. I do this once a week and store the jug in the fridge. Works beautifully

0506021614.jpg

That's the setup. I fill 5 reusable bottles for grab and go along with the jug too.
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    i hate the taste of our city water and while the cats dont mind the brita filtered water I still dont like the taste...we just take jugs to our local store that has a Culligan refilling station. We make the sure clean them often and replace as needed. I know they still use city water but the filtration system does something that make it more drinkable for me.
  • KFuerst27
    KFuerst27 Posts: 43
    Options
    The PUR water filter removes a lot more than the Brita, including some industrial and agricultural contaminants.
  • cutie2b
    cutie2b Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I travel with my Pur water filter...does a great job. Google "water filters" and do a little research. I swear by my Pur filter.

I just got a Pur Water Filter - I love it.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 cups Britta pitcher. I have gotten it from Walmart for $9.00. If you have a Dollar Tree in your location, you can buy bottle of water there. They sell 6ct pack of bottle of water for a $1.00. Maybe instead of bringing a pitcher with you when you travel, you can buy water from the Dollar Tree. I use to buy bottle of water from Walmart, the Sam's brand 24ct pack. I think back then it was like $3.50. It might be a little higher now.
  • gpstrucker
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the input. Right now I think I am leaning toward the Pur.
  • wtdia
    wtdia Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have used a PUR filter for years. I get kidney stones easily, so I want to drink the cleanest I can. I live in a city that is one of the top rated for quality tap water in the u.s....but I don't care. I filter it anyway. My employer uses a Brita water filter at my office. I don't think the water tastes any different, but I must say I am put off by the charcoal particles that always break loose from the filter and are floating around in the first resevoir where you pour the tap water into. My PUR filter does NOT do that at all. I recommend the PUR...
  • gpstrucker
    Options
    I have used a PUR filter for years. I get kidney stones easily, so I want to drink the cleanest I can. I live in a city that is one of the top rated for quality tap water in the u.s....but I don't care. I filter it anyway. My employer uses a Brita water filter at my office. I don't think the water tastes any different, but I must say I am put off by the charcoal particles that always break loose from the filter and are floating around in the first resevoir where you pour the tap water into. My PUR filter does NOT do that at all. I recommend the PUR...

Good to know, thanks.