Too much water?

Options
Can drinking to much water be a sign of something? (other than diabietes)
I drink alot of water, over 3Litres everyday and i'm constantly thirsty - I know that isn't an unhealhty amount to drink, however I ask as I sometimes feel dehydrated even a few mins after drinking a full bottle. It seems to be getting worse too. I have been tested for diabeties this time last year and nothing showed up.

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor....but curious.

Any other symptoms? Dry eyes, achy joints, swollen ankles, blurred vision, bloating, fatigue, etc?
  • jodiex92
    jodiex92 Posts: 56
    Options
    I get light headed sometimes, havent thought much about this so would not be able to say a frequency. I will keep watch on it.
    My family always comment on how much water I drink too, I could actually drink more some days.
    Could it be anything to do with salt intake? I have a really low sodium/salt intake as I don't really eat proccessed foods and never add salt to my food. I'm aware water lowers salt intake, so maybe its something to do with that?
    It really bugs me I hate feeling thirsty all the time!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    If its something that bothers you, then you may want to talk to you doctor. There are literally over 100 different things that could be causing it, or it could be nothing.
  • jodiex92
    Options
    Yeah you're right, i'm going to keep track of it for a week or two so I can aswer questions they may ask, instead of just generally saying 'i drink too much water'.
  • Asces
    Asces Posts: 182
    Options
    I drink about 20 cups a day and I notice a lot of people on my list drink that much if not more. If you are exercising lots or taking in caffeine or live in a dry climate it could make you need more water.

My water intake has definitely upped since I started exercising. I don't feel this is too much water.

If you are worried, talk to your doctor, better to have reassurance then be stressed.
  • hag101108
    hag101108 Posts: 22
    Options
    Sometimes I'm the same way! I feel like after I drink 3-4 liters of water, I still feel thirsty. If I do, I take a drink of something carbonated...like Coke or Sprite. For some reason, for me, that quenches it. Then I'm good. I have no idea why, but I think sometimes my palette just needs a change. Like I said for me, it's only a drink...not a whole glass or anything.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I probably drink 3-4 litresa day, on top of other fluids.

I don't you should feel constatnly thristy though. Let us know how you get on if you decide to visit the Dr.
  • jodiex92
    Options
    Yeah, it most likely will be nothing. But i'm going to get it checked just incase. Last year I somehow managed to dilute the salt in my body from too much water, although then I drank an exsessive amount as I was working in a kitchen all day.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I've always been paranoid it is a sign of diabetes.
  • Squeezie88
    Squeezie88 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I heard the other day that there is a such thing as "dry mouth". some medications can cause it, and water is only a temporary fix. i don't know what the treatment would be, but i'm sure if you googled it you might get some answers.

I also know that dry mouth isn't uncommon, as something like 80% of people who take regular medication get it.
  • jodiex92
    Options
    Weirdly enough, I have a few signs of diabetes but when tested nothing showed up.
    Low blood sugar, low blood pressure and the water thing. (my blood sugars are more balanced now though)
    Probably just convincing myself its something, its weird how you can convince yourself you have anything once you start reading into it!
  • jodiex92
    Options
    Squeezie88 - I don't take medication and never have done, so I don't think it's that
  • poseyj88
    poseyj88 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    What is your blood pressure like? Mine is quite low and it makes me take in a high volume of liquids. I've upped my salt in my diet *gasp* and it has helped some with the light-headedness and "head rush".

I was having issues because with all the water I consume, I was basically depleting my body of electrolytes.
  • jodiex92
    Options
    poseyj88 - This is what I was thinking it could be. I have low blood pressure and don't have a high salt intake, its pretty low actually.
  • NanoBear
    NanoBear Posts: 67
    Options
    I generally drink 5, sometimes 6 liters of water a day. I was thinking diabetes to start with too, but my doctor said its nothing to worry about. (Being a 240 pound male, I'm going to be drinking more than you anyway)

A couple of things to remember: if you have upped your protein intake (as a lot of people do when they get serious about weight loss), your body will need more water to digest it. Same goes for fibre.
  • jodiex92
    Options
    NanoBear - ah, I did not know this. I have increased my protein alot!

I will get it checked anyway just to rule it out, i'll let you guys know if anything out of the norm shows up.
    Thanks for the replies!
  • NanoBear
    NanoBear Posts: 67
    Options
    Fingers crossed the doctor gives you the green light.
    Not a bad idea to get the occasional checkup anyway to keep an eye on things like blood pressure if you're making big changes.