San Francisco

Options
Topsking2010
Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
Visiting SF and looking for things to do. Any suggestions?

Replies

• DrewMaxwell
    DrewMaxwell Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Alcatraz, Ghiradelli Square, Pier 39
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    dodgers are in town to face the giants--always a great rivalry to see in person--and you can watch from the street and walkways without a ticket

height and ashbury--interesting characters and shopping experience

ferry tour of the bay, day-trip to catalina island
  • mikellsmom
    mikellsmom Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you go to little Italy go eat at Cappy's corner.. really good.. You have to ride the cable cars and walk across the golden gate bridge. Spent a week there with my husband one of my favorite cities.
  • MzCongeniality70
    MzCongeniality70 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Love SF!!! Shopping on the Embarcadero, Alcatraz, Ferry tour of Bay, and of course the Pier! Have fun!!!
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Take a tour with Mr Toad's Tours (google it) They drive wonderful vintage autos and take you all around the best parts of the city and explain the history.

Go on a wine tour to Sonoma/Napa Valley. Napa Valley Wine Tours is an excellent outfit. They pick you up in Union Square - breakfast and lunch are provided, and drive you to 4-5 wineries. These are small group tours and very informative. Great way to take in the surrounding landscape and taste some excellent wines! It's about an 8 hour tour.

Go to Muir Woods.

Visit the Cable Car Museum.

Visit the North Beach area of San Francisco. It's like little Italy! There are many fine Italian restaurants to chose from.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    coit tower is fun, great view. the pier is a good time too. if you can, visit golden gate park, its beautiful.. also a walk across the golden gate is really pretty. maybe drive across and into the marin headlands. more great views. ocean beach is ok.. its usually foggy all day. for a good hike, there's mount tam and muir woods right across the bridge.

for night life, beach blanket babylon is a great show to catch, very funny. for dinner, ask your concierge, he'll know the best places around.

http://www.sanfrancisco.travel/todo/

glad you're coming to visit us :)
  • Topsking2010
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!! I plan to stay near Fisherman Wharf. Do I need a rental car?
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!! I plan to stay near Fisherman Wharf. Do I need a rental car?

I would not recommend renting a car. I have lived here for 11 years and have never had a car! You can get anywhere on the bus or walking! Wear comfortable shoes!
  • Topsking2010
    Options
    Thanks spynoodle!! Looking for things to do at night!! Any jazz or comedy clubs?
  • spynoodle
    Options
    Thanks spynoodle!! Looking for things to do at night!! Any jazz or comedy clubs?

Yoshi's or Rasselas in the Fillmore for jazz. There are a couple of places near Fisherman's Wharf area too, but I can't think of the names ~ I think they're on Jefferson St.

Cobb's Comedy Club (North Beach) or Punchline (close to Financial District). Cobb's is near a million great restaurants! I definitely recommend Beach Blanket Babylon too if you can get tickets. I used to live right next door. It's really fun!
  • Topsking2010
    Options
    I would like to visit wineries in Sonoma County.Any suggestions for a white wine lover?

Thanks again for all your help!!!!

• Terri_Wickwire
    Terri_Wickwire Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Depending on how long you're in town and what your travelling situation is, a trip up the 101 to the Sonoma and/or Napa Wine Country is always a great way to go! Things are gorgeous up here now --- green from all the last rains, flowers in bloom, the vines bursting with greenery. If you have allergies, just be sure to bring something that is non-drowsy -- we have the most fabulous wine -- and the meanest allergies around LOL Have a blast, whatever you do!
  • mollysonnotice
    Options
    The Exploratorium! I was just there today, so much fun! 15 dollars to get in :)
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options

Yoshi's or Rasselas in the Fillmore for jazz. There are a couple of places near Fisherman's Wharf area too, but I can't think of the names ~ I think they're on Jefferson St.

Cobb's Comedy Club (North Beach) or Punchline (close to Financial District). Cobb's is near a million great restaurants! I definitely recommend Beach Blanket Babylon too if you can get tickets. I used to live right next door. It's really fun!

Beach Blanket Babylon is a must do!! We see this show a couple times a year. There is North Beach Restaurant a block away from Beach Blanket love their food and wine cellar.

Cobb's Comedy Club or Punchline are both great also!!

Walking or taking a taxi if very easy and best transportation if you are just visiting. Your hotel valet can get you cab easy. You can also stop at any hotel during your walking route and a hotel valet will assist with getting a cab. I am sure you can flag one down yourself, but I never have. :)

You can never run out of things to do in San Francisco. I live in the valley, but am there often.

Have a great visit!
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Depending on how long you're in town and what your travelling situation is, a trip up the 101 to the Sonoma and/or Napa Wine Country is always a great way to go! Things are gorgeous up here now --- green from all the last rains, flowers in bloom, the vines bursting with greenery. If you have allergies, just be sure to bring something that is non-drowsy -- we have the most fabulous wine -- and the meanest allergies around LOL Have a blast, whatever you do!

i was just up there last weekend! it was breathtaking. definitely go there if you can :)
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    This is the one I recommended in my previous post.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g32766-d1438251-r109366183-Napa_Valley_Wine_Country_Tours-Napa_Napa_Valley_California.html

Whether you like red or white, there are plenty of wines to taste at each winery. There is also a nice stop in Sonoma at the Sonoma Cheese Factory, in addition to the 4 wineries, breakfast, and lunch.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Hit the clubs in the Castro district!
  • Topsking2010
    Options
    How is the temperature during the evenings? Should I bring a jacket?
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    How is the temperature during the evenings? Should I bring a jacket?

Yes.
  • spynoodle
    Options
    When are you coming to SF! We have a "heat wave" this week! It's very exciting!!!!
    SF is almost always a little chilly though!