HELP! - Protein Powder and Travel

Options
Emv79
Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
OK, this may be the stupidest question, but I need input from those that use protein powder and travel (fly) for business.

I've decided to start increasing my protein intake through weigh protein shakes right after my workout. Knowing NOTHING about protein powders (except for the suggestions I've read on these threads and in NROLFW), I headed for GNC. The girl there was really helpful, but when she showed me the container size, I was shocked! That jug is huge! After she explained how many scoops it contained and how long it would last me, it made sense. I then I asked: do you have a "travel size" or "sample size" for when I travel for work? Her answer was a 1lbs container which, let's face it, would nowhere make sense. I only bring a carry-on when I travel for business (1-2nights) and it's already a challenge to fit workout clothes and business attire.

I'm thinking powder in a ziplock may not be too welcome at customs... I can't believe there is not anybody out there that has found a solution for this? Help!

Replies

• dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Hmm, that's a tricky one. Are you flying internationally, or just within Canada? You could contact customer service at Pearson and see what they have to say about it (and if flying to the US or wherever, you'd also want to check with customs).

Do other LA fitness gyms often have the juice bar like ours does? You could just have them make you something with protein in it while travelling, rather than having to bring your own ingredients.
  • Carolstone1959
    Carolstone1959 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I measure protein powder individual servings (for me 2 scoops) into zip sandwich bags and place those sandwich bags into my blender bottle. OR there are small Glad plastic containers for things like salad dressing that may fit into your blender bottle. You won't be able to fit many of those in but if you'll be traveling for just a couple of days, that might work for you.

If I'm going to be making smoothies or protein shakes with more ingredients (like bananas, coconut milk, frozen blueberries, kale, or almond milk etc.), I pack a glass Ball quart jar with a plastic lid and my stick blender. I just stuff the protein powder sandwich bags in the jar. As long as I've got a small fridge in my room, I head to a grocery store and buy the extras when I arrive at my destination. It's great not to have to chase down breakfast while on the road! I stay in my room and whiz up a delicious, nutritious start to my day!

I wouldn't worry much about Security or Customs. Believe me. They've seen it all!
  • Emv79
    Options
    Hmm, that's a tricky one. Are you flying internationally, or just within Canada? You could contact customer service at Pearson and see what they have to say about it (and if flying to the US or wherever, you'd also want to check with customs).

Do other LA fitness gyms often have the juice bar like ours does? You could just have them make you something with protein in it while travelling, rather than having to bring your own ingredients.

I do both (more within Canada, but still do US). Good thought about the juice bar, but the problem there is you can't bring liquids in containers of over 50ml (or maybe its 100ml now) through security (again, because I'm using a carry on) AND it must be in its original container... yeah, I have a feeling the protein powder may have to stay home :)
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean taking the shake with you on the plane. I just meant that if you're finding other LA fitness locations to work out in while travelling, and if they also have juice bars, you wouldn't need to bring anything with you.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I see the dilemma, but I wouldn't worry about it. You could put it in a tupperware and bring the scoop if you want to make it less shady, but there are plenty of people that travel with baby formula with no problem.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I carry it in a smaller container or I buy it at my destination. I have also just brought my whole plastic jar inside a large zip bag in my suitcase.
  • Emv79
    Options
    I measure protein powder individual servings (for me 2 scoops) into zip sandwich bags and place those sandwich bags into my blender bottle. OR there are small Glad plastic containers for things like salad dressing that may fit into your blender bottle. You won't be able to fit many of those in but if you'll be traveling for just a couple of days, that might work for you.

And you have that in your carry on? I guess maybe I'm making a big issue out of nothing, but I'm the girl that got her mascara confiscated because they considered it liquid and it was not in my "liquid bag" and another time, even my "Liquid Paper"....I'm not even kidding. Would protein bars be a better solution? Do they act the same way (sorry, a bit new at all this protein supplement thing).
  • wnwilli05
    wnwilli05 Posts: 19
    Options
    I put my protein powder in travel baby formula containers. It holds three servings and it is easier to carry back and forth from work. One scoop fits into an opening and when I'm ready to use it all I have to do is turn the top to the opening desired. I picked mine up at Wal-Mart.
  • Emv79
    Options
    I didn't mean taking the shake with you on the plane. I just meant that if you're finding other LA fitness locations to work out in while travelling, and if they also have juice bars, you wouldn't need to bring anything with you.

lol... That makes SO MUCH more sense to me now!!! Sorry... ;)
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I just saw a protein shaker at Walmart that has a little screw-on cup underneath it - you can measure out the right amount and store it until you want to mix it - all in the same container...Otherwise just but it in baggies or throwaway small plastic containers...As long as you don't travel internationally and cross too many borders with packets of white powder:blushing: you should be fine...
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

And you have that in your carry on? I guess maybe I'm making a big issue out of nothing, but I'm the girl that got her mascara confiscated because they considered it liquid and it was not in my "liquid bag" and another time, even my "Liquid Paper"....I'm not even kidding. Would protein bars be a better solution? Do they act the same way (sorry, a bit new at all this protein supplement thing).

Just the powder - you can mix it with liquid when you get there....
  • mamakayy
    mamakayy Posts: 36
    Options
    I was going to suggest the baby formula containers too.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    In the baby section in any store, you can buy a small tupperware that rotates with a spout. It's separated into compartments for measuring out baby formula.

They make different sizes.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=347208&catid=182589&aid=338666&aparam=347208
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Guess I missed that someone mentioned that

300.JPG
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I buy Twin Lab Whey Protein powder in 1 lb envelopes at my local Rite Aid. It's the best solution I can see for traveling with the stuff and not having it spillout all over my work attire. It might not be the best brand available, but its a small sacrifice to be able to take it with me.
  • Emv79
    Options
    I buy Twin Lab Whey Protein powder in 1 lb envelopes at my local Rite Aid. It's the best solution I can see for traveling with the stuff and not having it spillout all over my work attire. It might not be the best brand available, but its a small sacrifice to be able to take it with me.

Aha! So they do exist! I'll look it up (thank you for the post!). I'll take a sacrifice on taste over having to explain myself at the border!! :)

As for the ideas from everyone on the containers: THANK YOU! Those will be great for when I travel for longer trips (when I check in my luggage) or when I travel for business for 2-3 day trips and driving (I hate having too much luggage).
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I buy some that come in single serving envelopes. Syntrax Nectar. Some of the flavors don't taste the best but a few are quite good. I order them online since I can't find around town.

Also, if you go to dietdirect.com they have a lot of single serving packages. Most are "meant" for weight loss but all they are are protein shakes so they work for everyone. I like the Wonderslim brand as they come in aspartame free and I try to stay away from that as it gives me headaches.
  • enaves1986
    enaves1986 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You might also want to get a blender bottle for mixing up the shakes when you are on the go as well.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Other whole food options - nuts, seeds, roasted chickpeas, pop-top beans, hb eggs, jerky, tetra boxes of milk/soy milk, etc.
  • jbloore
    jbloore Posts: 1
    Options
    If you have ever traveled with protein powder, have you seen this?

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NBN6TSV