5-HTP

Options
Hi there...has anyone ever taken this before? I was looking for a mood booster because i have been feeling really down lately. I'd rather not be put on antidepressants again. So i was looking in different vitamins and supplements when i came across 5-HTP. It also suggests that it could help improve sleep and weight loss. Which to me sounds great since i am having problems with all of them. Just curious if anyone has ever taken it....recommends it....had any side effects...etc.

Thanks!

Replies

• shansd
    Options
    i have never heard of it, but i will tell you that a natural supplement that helps all these things is Vitamin B 100 Complex.
    There are lots of different types of vitamin B that you get in all sorts of foods and they all do different things for you, to get the best of all worlds take the 100 complex as it has a little of everything.

It is supposed to help with energy, mood elevation and weight loss.
  • jen1000
    jen1000 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been taking it for almost 2 months and have noticed absolutely no changes. I've heard people say it works for them, so it might be worth a try, but it didn't do anything for me.

Jennifer
  • wendalin4
    wendalin4 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yeah i've been reading a lot about it on the internet...but everything is so mixed and technical i was hoping to come across some people that have tried it. It was just a thought and its not expensive only about $10 at Walmart so maybe its worth the shot. I'll be sure to check back and post my experience.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm take an Omega 3-6-9 complex to help with my moods. I've been really depressed because of my job and a friend suggested it rather than getting a prescription from the doctor. It has fish, flaxseed, and borage oils. It seems to be working. After about a week, I felt much better. My husband is happier that he doesn’t have to put up with my crying for good reason. Plus, it is good for heart health and you skin and hair.

The one I'm taking I bought from Walmart for under $10 I think. It is made by Natrol.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    If you want a natural thing that elevates your mood, improves your sleep and helps with weight loss, the best thing is EXERCISE!

Exercise produces endorphins which make you feel good.

Don't go putting chemicals in your body if you don't have too
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Isn't St John's Wort a natural anti-depressant too? :flowerforyou:
  • wendalin4
    wendalin4 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Vicky thanks...i understand all that but its hard right now with the way i am feeling. I've been on anti-depressants in the past but have been off for several years. I'm trying to avoid the whole rx drug thing again...which i why i was looking into vitamins and supplements just to boost my mood and help me actually feel like exercising which i know will help.

Crystal i might look into that...seems they both run the same price and are both available at Walmart. Maybe tonight i'll do a side by side comparison and look into it a little more.

Thanks for all the input!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    In that case.. speak to the pharmacist there. They can give you some information
  • metalpalace
    Options
    I know nothing about 5 HTP. My parents were having the same problems you're having, add to that my mother was "irregular". I put them both on shakeology. My mother became regular by the next day and they are both sleeping better now, loosing weight more easily, they both have better color in their skin because they are getting all their vitamins and minerals now, and there sustained prolonged energy levels are better. My mom suffered intermittent depression and had occasional night terrors. Those are under control now to.
  • amicklin
    Options
    5-HTP, not heard of it, I will certainly have to research it now that you mentino it! I do know that I foudn an inexspensive COMPLEX B vitamin that I take every morning and it helps the body to metabolizer and use the food you take in as anergy as well as with mood. I have noticed a difference, however slight. But some difference is better than NO difference. Because really its all the little things taht really add up. Worth a shot, the 5-HTP adn teh complex B vitamins are both pretty cheap, maybe try them both out? :drinker:
  • amicklin
    Options
    FYI. Found this information on 5-HTP.

"is a naturally occurring amino acid, a precursor to the neurotransmitter serotonin and an intermediate in tryptophan metabolism. It is marketed in the United States and other countries as a dietary supplement for use as an antidepressant, appetite suppressant, and sleep aid."

Serotonin is something the body naturally produces. Some, produce inadequate amounts or spiratic amounts. It seems this will help the serotonin to be delivered more efficentially, which would definitley be helpful!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    5-HTP is used in the production of serotonin, but there are many other signaling factors that need to be present for its production and release, and just taking 5-HTP won't prevent excessive serotonin reuptake or poor receptor affinity that is generally the cause of depression. Plus I have no idea whether it will survive the acidity of your stomach, but like most non-gastric enzymes, it probably won't.