alcohol discussion

Options
Hi
I have just completed week one and lost 7lbs. I have been eating my 1200 cals a day but also I have had lots of unlogged alcohol, which didnt seem to make a difference to me. Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Is alcohol straight carbs? Would this be something to consider later on if you hit a plateau or started gaining?
  • suemorgan1969
    suemorgan1969 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    no carbs in white wine and i get through at least a bottle a night lol xxxx
  • mamakayy
    mamakayy Posts: 36
    Options
    When you're first making a drastic change, I'm sure it wouldn't matter. Later, once your body catches up to your new eating habits, it will.

I log everything I eat or drink. Alcohol or not.
  • suemorgan1969
    Options
    yea maybe thats why then as I have cut down on food, so that has to make a difference x
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    A couple of things can factor into this.

1.) The first week of changing your eating habits and fitness routine is a shock to the body. Most people lose a lot of water weight during that time.

2.) 1200 calories is a low number for most people. What are your stats? Height, weight, weight loss goals. You should be eating about your weight x 10. (Not a perfect equation but it comes close.) It could be that you're balancing out because your body can have a few more calories and still lose the weight. I personally would feel like I'm starving constantly with that amount of calories and wouldn't be sustainable for a life long change. Though, that's me, and it's about what works for you.

3.) Since alcohol can work like a diuretic, it can dehydrated you. You will most likely gain some of it back if you trade out soda/ alcohol and other drinks for plain water.

The calories in the alcohol will eventually catch up though and possibly stall your weight loss plans. Cut back a bit and go from there. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Well, calories are calories. I log everything, including alcohol.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has like 7 calories per something or other?
    It also slows fat metabolism, or so I've heard?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

1.) The first week of changing your eating habits and fitness routine is a shock to the body. Most people lose a lot of water weight during that time.

2.) 1200 calories is a low number for most people. What are your stats? Height, weight. You should be eating about your weight x 10. (Not a perfect equation but it comes close.) It could be that you're balancing out because your body can have a few more calories and still lose the weight. I personally would feel like I'm starving constantly with that amount of calories and wouldn't be sustainable for a life long change. Though, that's me, and it's about what works for you.

3.) Since alcohol can work like a diuretic, it can dehydrated you. You will most likely gain some of it back if you trade out soda/ alcohol and other drinks for plain water.

The calories in the alcohol will eventually catch up though and possibly stall your weight loss plans. Cut back a bit and go from there. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
    I agree, except with regards to dehydration. Many of us see the scale go UP when we're dehydrated, rather than down. It's weird, but true.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be mean hear but it's not good that you're drinking an entire bottle of wine every night...

Also, I'd log the booze, you'd be surprised how fast it adds up.
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    When I was logging I would not log alcohol, ever. I either had a bottle+ wine a night or a few beers.

(I stopped logging a week or two ago, want to see how I do. Also cut down drastically on alcohol - I drink so I can get to sleep easier but have found that I'm more tired when I don't drink. Only 3 out of the past 8 days I have had alcohol at all).
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    In the end you are eating less calories than before, so of course you are going to lose weight, but you probably won't get as far until you have cut out or cut down the wine. I drink on the weekends and to be honest I am never going to cut that out, but I log it all, and I make an effort to drink a bit slower so I drink less over the night, seems to be working for me.
  • suemorgan1969
    Options
    i guess my 1200 cals food a day is low, but i honestly dont eat alot anyway, just like a drink or 4 in the evenings, will just have to wait n see
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I often have a glass or two with dinner. I call it a "snack" and sometimes write it as wine, sometimes just a quick add of calories.
    I'm sure it's slowed my 10LB loss a bit, but as others will often say: this is a lifestyle, not a diet. If wine is something you want to keep enjoying, then work it in.

PS: I tend to mix my reds with club soda. Makes it last much longer, turns it into a bubbly rose of sorts, and cuts the calories in half.
  • shicken684
    shicken684 Posts: 36
    Options
    Log everything, especially alcohol and any "liquid calories" Those are the worst ones since they don't do much to fill you up. I always thought going out and drinking 5 or 6 rum and diet cokes was not so bad since it was diet coke. 5 Rum and diets is 750 calories. Oh, and Toddrific, I think you are missing a zero. Most alcohols have around 70 calorie/ounce +/- 15cal
  • suemorgan1969
    Options
    i do log 300 cals for it but it really is a bit more that that lol
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have a glass or two of dark red wine (merlot, cab sav) prolly 5 times a week, but i log it. I log everything, and I cut calories to have it during the day. But I eat below my cals for a day anyway and I dont eat back the exercise cals....
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

2.) 1200 calories is a low number for most people. What are your stats? Height, weight. You should be eating about your weight x 10. (Not a perfect equation but it comes close.) It could be that you're balancing out because your body can have a few more calories and still lose the weight. I personally would feel like I'm starving constantly with that amount of calories and wouldn't be sustainable for a life long change. Though, that's me, and it's about what works for you.

I agree, except with regards to dehydration. Many of us see the scale go UP when we're dehydrated, rather than down. It's weird, but true.

This doesn't make sense, but I would love to have some reading on this. Do you have some sources or studies I could read about this? I'm always about learning new things!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think a 750mL bottle of wine has 500-600 calories....
  • shicken684
    shicken684 Posts: 36
    Options
    I also want to add that there is nothing wrong with drinking so long as it's in moderation. I've had a crappy week so I plan to down about 1200 calories worth of rum tonight. Just make sure you log it, and maybe put in an extra 30 mins at the gym the next day.
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options

This doesn't make sense, but I would love to have some reading on this. Do you have some sources or studies I could read about this? I'm always about learning new things!

When you're dehydrated, your body starts hoarding whatever water you do consume. By drinking more water, you actually lose water weight because your kidneys and body know to expect that you will give it a steady supply. It's the same as the "starvation mode" theory.