Working out and "starving"?

Options
2»

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You don't REALLY want any advice, do you? If you think that netting 0 calories per day is going to build nice strong muscles, and you disregard anything that does not fit into your little mindset, why waste peoples time with silly questions then...
    It doesn't matter if you live in Florida or Alaska, messing up your health to look like a waif and only following your own advice, is equally stupid...
  • sarahkittymeow
    Options
    You don't REALLY want any advice, do you? If you think that netting 0 calories per day is going to build nice strong muscles, and you disregard anything that does not fit into your little mindset, why waste peoples time with silly questions then...
    It doesn't matter if you live in Florida or Alaska, messing up your health to look like a waif and only following your own advice, is equally stupid...

Lol if you read everything I have written here including my comments I do not believe I am being stubborn or disregarding people's advice, I simply wanted to point out to people that they don't need to lecture me on "starvation mode" since I first of all, already know what it is and when it happens, and second of all - since I am not actually starving myself like an anorexic person would, just having trouble meeting my calorie goal. I believe this post WAS in fact, me asking for advice...just not d-bag remarks from people who don't care about my issue and only got their panties in a bunch over my starvation mode comment (which is not what my thread is about, just something I threw in there) So, I'm not trying to be rude but I'm going to be if you comment like a d*ck, like you did there.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Sarah,
    Check my profile for a useful link to how many cals you should be eating.
    For most people who say "They arent hungry" it all comes down to hormonal levels.
    If you were to eat at a normal level your hormones would tend to level out.
    Leptin goes up, cortisol goes down, the body releases fat and uses nutrients for fuel.
    Eating too little and working out too hard is like trying to drive an old car 200 miles with 1/8th tank of gas.
    At some point its going to break down.
  • sarahkittymeow
    Options
    So if I eat either different things or kind of force myself to get past limit it should help my appetite to come back? Thanks I will go check it out
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    So if I eat either different things or kind of force myself to get past limit it should help my appetite to come back? Thanks I will go check it out

Check out the eat more to weigh less forum.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less

Alot of people just like you who have started on low calories and decided to up them to a much smaller deficit. There is alot of good info there and one reason I mention is that people describe what happens to their appetite and energy levels as they increase calories. Also there is alot of woman and men who lift and look good not just those who are looking to lose alot of weight like me.

Eating at 1200 I was completely full. I had cut dairy and gluten out of my diet and ate alot of raw greens, fruit and veg. Its pretty filling.
    I would have stayed on that and not bothered to research optimal calories for health benefits except I started to get gall bladder attacks and research shows their is a correlation between gallbladder stones being triggered by low calories diets especially for those like me who are carrying alot of weight.
    So I was forced to up calories, (gall bladder attacks stopped) thats when I started to read a lot of quality information from people like Dan as well as going to peer reviewed research.
    Believe me I didnt want to eat more as I wanted to lose as quickly as possible and patch up any damage I had done to body after I had reached my goal, besides it didnt seem possible I could fit more healthy food in.

I upped my calories and after a few days of feeling overfull it changed to feeling ravenous. I eat about 1800 - 2000 calories a day and I am still losing weight but I feel way better. My diet isnt perfect but I think its reasonably good chia seeds are high cal and insanely good for you, coconut oil as well, avocado, bananas. It s doesnt seem that hard now to meet my calorie goals
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    You are fine, but you NEED to eat more. Make sure to get plenty of protein, chicken, tilapia, tuna... if you are getting enough protein and dietary fats you wont be under 1k calories :)
  • sarahkittymeow
    Options
    Well I hope with a few dietary tweaks then, I will see my appetite come back. I will try out a few more of those food suggestions as well. Thank you guys for the input :)
  • amylillian
    amylillian Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem (in fact, I wish I still had your problem!) But like everyone said: Eat more.. Work out less. Some foods that might help: peanut butter, milk, and hard boiled eggs! I eat those before or after work outs, and they add some calories without me feeling gross.

And I think taking one day off a week is good. But if you feel really lazy on that one day, maybe just go for a light walk, clean your house, or dance by yourself in your bedroom! Those are some great ways to get exercise without overdoing it. (Sometimes I overdo it on the dancing though, lol)