Switching from Weight Watchers

Options
Hello,

I am switching from Weight Watchers. I was on WW for about a year and lost 35 lbs. I loved it, but I went home for the first time in two years (we're stationed overseas) and started a downhill slide. I recently moved again and I am awaiting my husband. Things are finally starting to slow down so I can get back into a routine. I miss my Weight Watchers but I want something that is not only free but a lifestyle, so I went with MFP. I started tracking about a month ago, but I am struggling. I am used to eating fruit for "0" points but now it is taking up all of my sugars! What are your suggestions for snacks? I love different salads, I make almost everything into a salad to skip the carbs. If I make sandwiches it is with the skinny buns. I am very dedicated to preparation and I love cooking, so I just need suggestions and ideas as I switch from WW mentality of points. I also need to encouragement to put the sweets and fried foods down, even if I only have a few tiny bites! Thanks!!!

Evy

Replies

• MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Hello and welcome!

You will enjoy the switch from WW once you get the hang of it, I know I sure did. I love that MFP makes me much more aware of sugar, fat, sodium etc. I found I was better able to find a balance that worked for consistant loss.

You really have to find a groove that works for you and eat foods you enjoy. If all your sugar is coming from fruit and you are over your daily allowance it's really not bad as it's natural. If it was coming from junk food well then that's another story.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like!
  • Loislaine61
    Loislaine61 Posts: 49
    Options
    Hi Evy,

I am an ex WW as well, but I still think like I did while going to WW. I eat raw veggies every day but don't put them in my list of foods because on WW they are free. I just put it in the notes section.

One of my favorite snacks is Fiber One 90 Calorie snack bars. There is also a Fiber One Brownie that is just too yummy. I also eat fruit for snacks and I do record those.

Hope this helps.

Lois
  • Loislaine61
    Loislaine61 Posts: 49
    Options
    ...and you may add me as a friend if you like. :drinker:

Lois
  • lewisboysthree
    Options
    Hi Evy,
    I'm a past WW friend as well. those 90 cal Fiber One Brownies are good. Also, the Special K Cracker Crisps (27 for 100 calories!) come in Cheddar and Sour Cream and Onion, as well as the Special K crackers are pretty tasty. Good Luck-
    PS- I love MFP (more than WW)
  • jenmr3
    jenmr3 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I have been doing WW for awhile and loved it on the old plan but this new plan has me up and down the same few lbs or I just stay the same. I am hoping to educate myself a little more by using this site and actually seeing what is going in my body for calories, carbs, proteins etc. I tracked on here and I am under on the calorie side but in the red on the carbs. So I will have to do some tweeking on my menus. Hopefully I can stick MFP since it is little more work entering the food at the beinging. Thanks for listening! :happy:
  • missevey87
    missevey87 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the support! I love the Triscuit thins! They are so yummy. I will start looking into the 100 cal things. I love veggies WAY more than I like fruit, I just got in the habit of snacking on fruit from WW. I really need to up my carbs, I am super low on those as well as my protein. So far it seems that MFP allows a more balanced diet. I get to eat meat and not just chicken! I also get to have carbs so long as I eat in moderation (as everything).

Does anyone know if there is a good site for easy health recipes?

Thanks all!
  • Wendy595
    Wendy595 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I switched from WW to using this. I like how I am more aware of what is in the foods I eat now compared to just knowing the point value. Plus I am limiting my carbs (doctors orders) so I like that I can keep track of that too! I've lost 7 pounds doing this so it is working for me. I just hope to stick with it!
  • OccupyFitness
    OccupyFitness Posts: 147
    Options
    My favorite snacks are - string cheese, hard boiled egg, 1oz almonds, banana, tbs peanut butter, baby carrots, hummus

I did WW years ago and I prefer MFP by so much. I like that MFP feels more real without the veil of this points system. I feel like MFP focuses me more on exercise. I like that it is free. Why should I have to pay to be thinner and healthier?

Welcome!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Good luck!

If you have any questions about how MFP is different than WW or anything else, check out the Unofficial MFP FAQ built by experienced members. There is a table of contents to help you find answers to almost anything you can think to ask.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/474-unofficial-mfp-faq
  • HealthyNFit4Life
    HealthyNFit4Life Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My favorite snacks are - string cheese, hard boiled egg, 1oz almonds, banana, tbs peanut butter, baby carrots, hummus

I did WW years ago and I prefer MFP by so much. I like that MFP feels more real without the veil of this points system. I feel like MFP focuses me more on exercise. I like that it is free. Why should I have to pay to be thinner and healthier?

Welcome!

I did weight watchers for like 12 years...went up and down in weight every few years because I would get off track. I needed a change because I couldn't eat without counting points, it was so embedded in my brain. I love MFP and the new change :)
  • Songbirdy
    Songbirdy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Try a ryvita thin with a wedge of laughing cow and veggie sticks. Gets you a little of several food groups, gets you protein, and less sugar!

Welcome, I'm an ex-WW too. I got kicked off when my doctor had me take 3 months on maintenance because I am/was (hoping!) anemic.

I lost 60 lbs on WW and have been in maintenance here. I plan to getting very close to goal, going back and getting my life-time (but using this) and then staying here from then on. Maintenance here has been great, working well for me. But I am still not at goal!

You can do it, be open-minded to the caloric counts. Really check to see if you are actually eating enough, add in weight training, and you'll rock!
  • bullpen14
    bullpen14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I myself am switching from ww to mfp just signed on today. Tired points plus just did not enjoy results. I had better luck with flex points system looks like mfp has the tools I need to be successful at weight loss.
  • RandomMiranda
    RandomMiranda Posts: 298
    Options
    I had some success with WW a year or so ago, but I didn't want to think of exercise as something I did to earn extra food. MFP is working well for me. I eat my exercise calories, but I don't exercise just so I can eat more. I am also MUCH more aware of the balance in my diet, getting more protein, and trying to reduce sodium and refined sugars. I log my fruits and veg, but don't worry about it if I am over my sugars just from those. Welcome, and I hope you get great results.