Bread/wheat and Sugar seem to leave me starving

Options
graelwyn
graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
Why is this? I can eat a plate of vegetables, brown rice and fish or some vegetarian alternative and feel really full , yet over my birthday weekend, with eating thai, chinese food and pizza and desserts, I notice I am constantly craving more and often hungry. My boyfriend can eat the same meals, and not have any further desire for food in between meals. Why is this happening to me?
I am tempted to do an elimination/detox diet for 5 days to see if it helps.

Replies

• boopsiegrl
    boopsiegrl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have been told by nutritionist that white flour and sugar to some people are like your alergic to them and the reaction is access hunger I can't touch them at all or I will eat everthing in the house. and the hunger for me last a couple of days I suppose until all the food gets out of my system. I heard what the alergy is , is they bleach flour and sugar with bleach and its the bleach that causes food to trigger in us. I am sure there will be a lot of people that pho pho that off but I know that is what I was told. So hope that helps maybe someone else will rebuttle this with a better answer

I can only tell you I do better with out these things and also sometimes potatos miss me up
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    if it makes you hungrier, why eat it?
  • Zomxilla
    Zomxilla Posts: 6
    Options
    Easily digestible carbohydrates will often do this. They cause an insulin spike in your body (insulin being the main hormone that puts those carbohydrates to use), which stores some carbohydrates as fat to break down later and converts some to glucose for energy. When your blood glucose level goes down after your body has used the immediately available glucose, you experience hunger for more energy. You do have energy - in the form of stored fats. Generally you wait a little bit, have some water, and the 'hunger' subsides. You'll get hungry later when you really need food.

Check out this video for more explanation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo3TRbkIrow
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Apparently wheat has a higher GI than table sugar. I don't eat wheat anymore but more because of digestion issues.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    As a recommendation, check out a book called "Wheat Belly" by William Davis. Interesting information.
  • wesellee
    wesellee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    there was more fiber and protein in the chicken and veggies and you probably ate more of these cause they are better for you than the thai and pizza
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Different people react to sugar spikes differently. A good idea would be to pair the high sugar foods with high protein/fiber foods.

Alternatively, don't eat them, but what fun is that!

For cheese and wiggles you can try not eating wheat, milk, peanuts, chocolate, cheese, chicken, jelly beans, or whatever other fad demon food there is...
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Um, you're not diabetic or pre-diabetic are you? Hate to point that out, but I am friggin' starved if I eat bread a bunch (or cereal, god help me if I eat processed cereal like rice crispies that I love) or sugar without fiber and I'm a diet/exercise controlled diabetic. Might want to have a quick blood sugar check, just in case. Makes life way easier to find out early and if not, no harm, no foul, you don't have to worry.