Fitbit seems kinda boring.....

Options

Replies

• Pancua
    Pancua Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am Pancua on Fitbit as well if anyone wants to link up. :)
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how to add a friend with just a name. I'll see if I can find you without your link. Anyone is welcome to add me as well. http://www.fitbit.com/user/233WVR
  • karen0214
    karen0214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I cannot recall a whole lot about the Striiv, to tell you the truth. I thought the game aspect was neat and I think it rewarded you by some kind of donations of clean water to countries that need it, for walking so much or something like that.

Things about Fitbit...I really Love the sleep monitor. I love that it syncs with MFP, I don't recall if Striiv did that or not. I don't think so. With Fitbit, you can have friends on the Fitbit page and you do sort of compete, it gives you rankings for a few things and ranks you against each other. I like that it calls me Step Geek Steffie! lol I like the user friendliness of the website interface. It's very easy to navigate and understand. I really do like the smaller size too, I hardly know it's there. It seems the Striiv was about cell phone size, if I remember correctly.

I don't know much more about the Striiv, it looks like a decent device to me. I am already in love with my Fitbit. =D

Thanks for the info, Steffie. They both sound great, which is my dilemma. I guess I just need to pick one and I'll probably be happy either way. Appreciate your feedback.

Karen
  • karen0214
    Options
    I just thought of another question. Does the FitBit count steps if you are doing something like aerobic dancing, such as Zumba?
  • SteffieMark
    Options
    I don't know that one, I do not do Zumba. Seems like I have heard others talk about it with setting the stop watch etc. Not sure how accurate it would be though. Others probably know much more about that than I do.
  • karen0214
    Options
    I don't know that one, I do not do Zumba. Seems like I have heard others talk about it with setting the stop watch etc. Not sure how accurate it would be though. Others probably know much more about that than I do.

Thanks so much, Steffie. I appreciate your replies. I will probably just give Striiv and FitBit headquarters a call and ask questions.
  • Razzlebari
    Razzlebari Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just returned mine, yesterday. I used to use a BodyMedia FIT, which has sensors that track a bit more accurately than an accelerometer (though there's an accelerometer, as well, in the BMF), but the FitBit was grossly overestimating my calorie burn to the point that it was telling me to eat 2000+ calories per day, with the expectation that I'd lose 1.5-2 lbs per week. As a 5'7" 149pound 23-year old female, I'm very certain that I am not burning 3000+ calories per day, even on workout days. I think I burned that many calories ONCE on my BMF, and that was strenuous hike + double-shift waitressing + some other excursion.

So anyway, I'd invest in the BodyMedia FIT, if you're looking for something a bit more clever. The Core (newest incarnation of BMF) is on sale at Costco for $119!
  • jsugihara86
    jsugihara86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I got one, had it for like 3 hrs and took it back. I didnt give it a fair chance, will probably buy another one. It seems really motivating. My sister in law has one and loves it!
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    There's a MFP group with about 180 members on FitBit. If you join it, you can see where you rank after 7 days.

http://www.fitbit.com/group/229K6Z
  • Chadwick891
    Chadwick891 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You could always go to www.ebay.com and see if you can get some of your money's worth back :)
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I am getting one on Mother's day. I can't wait.
  • lgstone
    lgstone Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been using mine daily for 4 months. I love it. It isn't just that it counts steps and estimates calories and distance. It does this with two advantages. First, the motion sensor seems to pick up not just "steps" but the torque or momentum of the steps. When I walk to the barn, it scores it as "walking" but if I carry bales of hay to the barn, same path, it scores the calorie burn higher but registers the same distance. But if I jog to the barn, it picks up that now I'm jogging and goes to a different stride length that I set on the FitBit web site. And the altimeter reads actual gain in height, so those "flights" of stairs are actually just a code for the altimeter registering how high the user has climbed.

The synchronizing is great. I can check out my activity, steps, calories all day on the fitbit itself, or look at the website, which helps me judge if I'm headed toward ending the day with the "calorie gap" where it needs to be.

The sync'ing with MFP is also super convenient. Losing weight is all about relating levels of activity to levels of consumption. The FitBit reads my activity, MFP gives me a tool to assess consumption. As a result, I've lost a nice amount of weight in 4 months, without resorting to weird eating patterns or special foods.

It's likely not for everyone, of course, but I love mine and it helps me reach my goals.
  • SteffieMark
    Options
    I just returned mine, yesterday. I used to use a BodyMedia FIT, which has sensors that track a bit more accurately than an accelerometer (though there's an accelerometer, as well, in the BMF), but the FitBit was grossly overestimating my calorie burn to the point that it was telling me to eat 2000+ calories per day, with the expectation that I'd lose 1.5-2 lbs per week. As a 5'7" 149pound 23-year old female, I'm very certain that I am not burning 3000+ calories per day, even on workout days. I think I burned that many calories ONCE on my BMF, and that was strenuous hike + double-shift waitressing + some other excursion.

So anyway, I'd invest in the BodyMedia FIT, if you're looking for something a bit more clever. The Core (newest incarnation of BMF) is on sale at Costco for $119!

I thought the calories that show on the Fitbit Dashboard, also include BMR. I could be wrong, someone else may know better. I still love it! I just got mine Tuesday, as an early Birthday gift.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    At first I thought that Fitbit sounded pretty cool. Then I started logging calories and doing my gym and so on. And then I thought that I don't want another device in my life, something to have to remember to use and charge and wear and so on. To those who think it can help them, by all means use it. For me, logging and exercising the amounts needed and estimating where necessary has seemed to have produced the results. Device free I will never be, but another calorie counter, just don't need it.
  • DinaLKeil
    DinaLKeil Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Thanks so much, Steffie. I appreciate your replies. I will probably just give Striiv and FitBit headquarters a call and ask questions.

If you sync the fitbit with myfitnesspal, when you input your exercise like zumba or jogging, etc....it will replace that time with the exercise you put. So, while it will count the steps or stairs during that time-it wont double count it for calorie purposes. I hope I explained this sorta clearly. If you go to the fitbit group, there are lots of answers to these types of questions. I thought that the fitbit would be a great way to achieve a maintenance weight as well...giving a good idea of how much you should be eating for the amount of movement you make...Hope this helps...btw...I love my fitbit :)
  • peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I just thought of another question. Does the FitBit count steps if you are doing something like aerobic dancing, such as Zumba?

I do Zumba and it always counts my steps.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    You can also link the fitbit with earndit.com and get points for how active you are to trade in for gift cards or coupons to websites. I've redeemed a couple already.

Oooh!!

Never saw this before!

Going to check it out now.
  • Pancua
    Pancua Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Yes, I counts just about everything. I do a lot of zumba, aerobic step and I am also an active fencer. My fitbit catches all of it.
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Is your active score on the dashboard supposed to transfer over to your food log exactly? It's usually pretty close, but it's never the same number......
    I've had the fitbit for a week now and I really like it! :smile:
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Love mine. It's nice and small. wear it anywhere. reasonably accurate. Wear in your shoulder and count the flights of squats in a day :laugh: