On-the-Go Lunch ideas for Full Time Working Mommy

Options
Hey everyone! I was hoping I could get some suggestions on some easy make-ahead or grab and go lunches for someone like me who has very little free time on their hands. Currently, I am consuming WAY too much sodium due to grabbing a frozen low cal meal for breakfast or lunch or both! I am not big on taking salads to work as it just doesn't hold me over long enough. Any suggestions you can offer are much appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Well first off I invested in a oversized lunch bag to hold all my stuff. Everyone teases me but I don't care - it keeps my food cold and enough room for lunch & snacks so I'm not tempted to go to vending machine. Plus we have problems with people stealing food out of other people's lunches if kept in the 'community' fridge. So I just keep this under my desk.

Next, I got some containers with compartments - room for a sandwich & some sides. I like to do wraps because sandwiches get old. One of my favorites is whole wheat tortilla spread with laughing cow chipotle cheese wedge & avacado with turkey and other fresh veggies like sprouts, lettuce, tomato, etc. And then I will do carrots & hummus in the side compartments. Or pretzels and grapes. Sometimes I do a small green salad with leftover slice of cheese pizza - just lay it on top of the salad. Then put some fruit on the side. Of course the dressing has to be in separate container!

For sweets, I throw in an apple, 100 cal pack cookies, granola bar or FF/SF chocolate pudding. Again, my oversized lunch bag keeps it all cold! :) Getting those containers were a huge help - that way I'm not always digging in the cabinet looking for lids. Saved money since not wasting plastic baggies and saves me so much time in the morning! I'm a full time working mommy myself!
  • jmsouth5
    jmsouth5 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi, for me I will make a pb&j or just the peanut butter with Orowheat healthnut bread. The peanut butter I use is Trader Joes brand, only 85 cals. per serving, the bread is only 80. I will eat half a sandwich, one small banana and 12-14 almonds, and my usual two cups of tea. I typically eat at 7:15 (at work at 7). Then I've been eating every 3 hours. I stay full all day. Lots of 1/2 apples, string cheese, yoplait lites, almond or peanuts and half sandwiches, peanut butter for the first two snacks, then maybe turkey and cheese. I also will make 6 or so hard boiled eggs and bring them to work, or make egg salad sandwiches and half them to divide for separate snake times. Hope this helps.
  • Daytonsmommy
    Daytonsmommy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for your suggestions! I definitely need to get off of the frozen meal kick :smile:
  • danessa1
    danessa1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I try to make extra dinner for lunch leftovers. In a pinch I keep tuna and salmon pakets and crackers in my desk. They make for a quick lunch with fruit. I too used to do the frozen meals, but that got really old. And you're right they typically have a LOT of sodium.
  • liljgrafix
    liljgrafix Posts: 177
    Options
    it is always helpful to make your lunch the night before if you can.. if not then sandwiches with whole wheat bread is always and easy choice. i love breakfast on the go packs. when im with my daughter i pop one of those suckers open and it keeps me going with alot of protein.. and it tastes amazing. there from emerald and about 180-200 calories a pack.. also sliced cucumbers, and carrots with a togo container of ranch.. always a favorite of mine. i make some skillet popped popcorn and i bag it up for snacks.. its healthier then the pre-bagged. and it is a yummy substitution.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    Most days I bring leftovers or like you, do the frozen meal thing.

I will also eat salads at work, but add some fat and protein to it (a typical salad will consist of spinach/arugula, cherry tomatoes, pecans, gorgonzola cheeze, and a light italian or green goddess dressing. If I'm still hungry, I snack throughout the afternoon on fruit, greek yogurt, pita and hummus, etc.

Sometimes I'll eat a really random lunch...like a morningstar black bean pattie with some spicy mustard to dip, and on the side I'll have one of the Green Giants boxed vegetables (the ones that are like "healthy weight, healthy immunity, etc").

Like others have said, if I know what I'm bringing the night before or I keep certain things stocked at work in the fridge or my desk, I do better about resisting the temptation for fast food. If it's unavoidable, I try to have a few standbys that I can go get, like a hald salad and baked potato at Wendy's or a sandwich with lots of veggies and no cheese or mayo at Subway or Jersey Mike's.
  • liljgrafix
    liljgrafix Posts: 177
    Options
    i think the main thing has to be devotion and dedication.. it is soooooo easy for any of us to fall into the fast food lines.. i know because that is what got me to the size i am today.. just think... if you think about all the hard work and effort you put into your bodies to lose weight and to get fit and healthy.. what is your time worth.. is your time worth messing the day up by going to eat a sloppy fatty burger.. is your time worth spending hours of working out just to get those calories back off for the day... NO.. its not.. you are worth more. you are worth taking every step you can to feed and fuel your body with the right nutrition.. i know being a mother is hard. im a single mother and i work full time .. alot of the times i am traveling on the road for days/weeks. . i know how hard it is.. but take a few minutes in the day for yourself. .. make those choices a great choice.. and your body will lose the weight.. and you will feel so much better and accomplished in your day.. we are all here for each other.. lets do it together..
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    whatever you bring get it alllll prepped sunday and get those lunches PACKED!

jamie eason turkey meatloaf muffins are one of my faves, spinach, veggies prepped(Im over raw veggies) homeade protein bars incase I go to the gym during the lunch hour (store bought are FULL of carbs). banana and yougurt.

I leave a few snacks at work too just in case I come down with munchies!!!! so maybe an extra serving of veggies etc....
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering the same thing. I'm a busy Mom too and I just decided to make extra dinner and pack it up to go for lunch the next day. I might get sick of this and change it up. For now this is my plan.
  • MsRoxyPepper
    MsRoxyPepper Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt and banana for breakfast. FF oikos is super delicious. grilled/baked chicken with steamfresh veggies for lunch. I prepare the chicken on sunday and portion it for the week. its low cal and very filling. pack portion sized seasonal fruit. I am loving the pineapple, watermelon and cantaloupe. it helps to spend an hr or so on sunday to prepare for the week.
  • sem41278
    sem41278 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I need to buy one of those big lunch bags too! I bring all the fixings for salad and have a Greek yogurt with it. I eat lunch super late like 230 most days but I have a fruit at noon and usually almonds mid morning. Frozen means are so eddy but the sodium id killer! I love string cheese too. I have to pack my daughters lunch everyday buy I spend more time on hers then mine, lol.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I have supper leftovers, fresh fruit and veggies with hummus.