Suggestions

Options
Ok..so I have done well the past 5 weeks on diet alone..dropped 16...however, now I am trying to incorporate exercise into the mix! I started out Friday night...I was pissed off at my household and took the 110 lb rottweiler for a walk. Now she has never been for a walk because we have a huge area for her to roam. So I was walking quickly and trying to hold her back from every squirrel and person she felt she need to sniff....

Anyway so I did 2.7 miles..great trail ups and downs...and was proud of myself...So Saturday I knew it would be a busy day so I took her again in the morning... but by that evening I was sore...and really sore yesterday, to where it hurt to walk around the house.Todays not so bad Im achey but I can walk. Did I try and do too much too soon?? Maybe I should have gone without her but...Im kind of nervous about walking down by the river without her!

Any thoughts??? And did I hurt anything by not walking yesterday???

Replies

• sportsmomof2
    Options
    Ok..so I have done well the past 5 weeks on diet alone..dropped 16...however, now I am trying to incorporate exercise into the mix! I started out Friday night...I was pissed off at my household and took the 110 lb rottweiler for a walk. Now she has never been for a walk because we have a huge area for her to roam. So I was walking quickly and trying to hold her back from every squirrel and person she felt she need to sniff....

Anyway so I did 2.7 miles..great trail ups and downs...and was proud of myself...So Saturday I knew it would be a busy day so I took her again in the morning... but by that evening I was sore...and really sore yesterday, to where it hurt to walk around the house.Todays not so bad Im achey but I can walk. Did I try and do too much too soon?? Maybe I should have gone without her but...Im kind of nervous about walking down by the river without her!

Any thoughts??? And did I hurt anything by not walking yesterday???
  • scostello24
    scostello24 Posts: 126
    Options
    I think that is a wonderdul start! I wish I had a 100lb dog to drag me around..lol! And just remember that you do need a day of rest.
  • travelbug
    travelbug Posts: 153
    Options
    Great workout! By doing incline and declines on your walk you were using a great deal of muscle. To build muscle you half to actaully tear the muscle (sounds terrible) for it to rebuild bigger and better. No you will not bulk up from it. The soreness is the torn muscles and they do need time to repair so a break or shorter walk the next day could have helped until you build more endurance but I encourage people to keep moving. You also don't want your muscles to work really hard then don't use them for a couple days. Before and after your next walk be sure to stretch. Before the workout try streches that keep your body moving (knee raises, ham curls, hip rotations) a static stretch (holding the muscle) will tire the muscle before you even start because they are not warm. After your workout do full length stretches, (leg extentions, knee to chest etc) . Also remeber to keep breathing. NIce deep breaths provide oxygen to all your body parts that need it during a workout.
    Keep it up.
  • sportsmomof2
    Options
    Thanks a bunch! I am soo new to the exercise part its kinda sad...BUT..the good news is...I loved getting out and getting away...it was very relaxing and a great way to get some "ME" time in!

Thanks again...Ill work on the streching part!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, a big rottweiler doesn't get walked, they walk you :)
  • sportsmomof2
    Options
    :laugh:

Very true!! She is a big girl! Guess Ill be working out the biceps just holding her!