I've been losing weight really slowly?

Options
My recommended intake each day is 1200 cals (I'm a short person with a relatively small frame.) But usually I eat a little less than that because I'm never too hungry. With the 1200 cals a day, I'm supposed to lose 0.9 lbs a week but since I usually have 100-200 cals left it should be near 1 lb a week. However I've barely lost 1.5 lbs in the last 3 weeks! What could be the problem? Feel free to take a look at my diary. Thanks everyone! :)

Replies

• JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    You need to eat MORE to lose. It sounds counter-intuitive, I know. Part of the reason you aren't real hungry is because your body is probably slowing down its metabolism. It thinks it is starving. Try fluctuating your calories from one day to the next, some days eat closer to your BMR and other days cut back a bit more, on the remaining days try to meet your recommended calorie intake. You may gain weight at first, b/c your body has slowed down and it will try to store the extra but if you stay the course and keep varying your intake, your body will become confused. Also you need to EXERCISE. Do not expect that just cutting calories will do the trick...you need to do cardio to increase your metabolism and do some strength training to build lean muscle which will also in turn increase your metabolism. Hang in there!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism is slow and your body is maintaining on a caloric amount under 1200 calories. Make sure to eat those 1200 calories and not go under. If not losing at 1200 then try upping a bit more. Look at your activity - are you exercising?

I'm not sure if this is true but I read that if you are never too hungry then you have a slow metabolism. When you start to actually get hungry before meal times your metabolism is increasing.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you need to be eating your exercise calories back. Try eating a couple more servings of fruit a day.
  • badapdos
    badapdos Posts: 132
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    And yes I do cardio (running/biking) and pilates/weight lifting for strength training. I'll go grab a snack right now :)
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is true but I read that if you are never too hungry then you have a slow metabolism. When you start to actually get hungry before meal times your metabolism is increasing.

I hope that's the case... it seems like no matter how many times I eat I'm hungry like 3 hours later....
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    hang in there and check back. Glad you are exercising. Would love to hear how the changes work for you!