Protein after workouts

Options
tracypk
tracypk Posts: 233 Member
What kind of foods do you suggest to get protein after workouts. I don't really like meat much so I eat it sparingly. Not into protein shakes either. I would like to get it from a whole food source.

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I typically workout in the evening right before dinner. I like to have a nice big dinner after a workout. If you can do something like that, go for a balanced meal. Don't forget about your sugars. If you just got done depleting the glycogen in your muscles, they're going to be hungry for replenishment.
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Do you like fish? Eggs? Nuts and beans have lots of protein too. Try edamame beans with some soy sauce, delicious.
  • jg627
    Options
    Chocolate milk.
    I like country fresh trumoo chocolate milk. It doesn't have any high fructose corn syrup in it. Good stuff.
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Great stuff thanks! All the stuff you mentioned I love. I like the idea of doing my workout before dinner. How satisfying to eat a healthy dinner after a workout instead of just a little snack.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I work out early, and have breakfast afterward. So, pancakes and eggs, cooked cereal, baked potato, supper leftovers, soup, fruit and nuts, etc.
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    cheese (string, laughing cow wedges, mini babybel), milk, yogurt (i freeze mine so it's like a sweet treat.. or i add a few slices of fresh fruit to the plain ol' refrigerated kind), peanut butter (in moderation.. they have nifty little single serving packets available that are nice for on-the-go), tuna, chicken (fresh is best.. but they have microwavable grilled breasts in the freezer section), beans, and pistachios (yum!)
  • chloeelebeir
    chloeelebeir Posts: 130
    Options
    After an intense workout, you need to provide your muscles with the recovery it needs. That means protein and carbs. Normally people suggest a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein.

Some post workout snacks I love are Greek yogurt with fruit, banana or apples with peanut butter, hummus and pita bread, trail mix with nuts and dried fruit/dark chocolate

Hope that helps!
  • imbanter
    imbanter Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I like to make a milkshake using 1 cup of 2% Milk + Strawberry Greek Yogart + 1 scoop of vanilla EAS protein powder. I put in a few cubes of ice and blend it in my Magic Bullet and it makes a GREAT shake. It will give you a good amount of carbs and protein you need post-workout.
  • imbanter
    imbanter Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk.
    I like country fresh trumoo chocolate milk. It doesn't have any high fructose corn syrup in it. Good stuff.

Is this the secret to your success? If so, I'm going to have to find me some trumoo at the store!
  • wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    There are studies that show milk is just as effective as protein shakes for recovery. So that's a great way to go.

Peanut butter on celery or Greek yogurt with 1/2 a chopped up banana are my personal choices.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    What kind of foods do you suggest to get protein after workouts. I don't really like meat much so I eat it sparingly. Not into protein shakes either. I would like to get it from a whole food source.
    Just worry about getting your total protein for the day. The whole "must have recovery protein immediately after exercising" is a myth that's perpetuated by the supplement industry to help push protein powder sales.

The "recovery window" for post exercise is 24 hours. So don't worry about eating something special right after working out, just make sure you get your proper nutrients in for the day. Unless you're hungry, then of course, eat, but don't worry about what you eat, again, as long as you hit your total daily nutrition goals you will be fine.
  • thecatlady91
    thecatlady91 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Protein timing DOES NOT matter! As long as you are hitting your goal for the day, your muscles will be fine. This is just bro-science.
  • jg627
    Options
    Chocolate milk.

Is this the secret to your success? If so, I'm going to have to find me some trumoo at the store!
    150 calories per cup. My daughter and I both drink it up.
  • ChelseaM18
    ChelseaM18 Posts: 303
    Options
    Egg whites are great, they're a complete protein, as is quinoa :)
  • jg627
    Options
    And like a couple people mentioned already, the protein window thing is a scam to make you think you need to buy protein shakes, but some people are very defensive about their post-workout protein shakes. If anything, it's sugar that you need most after a workout, but if you're getting your calories every day and hitting your macros, you're gonna be fine.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk.

Choc Nesquick with Milk. This guy is 100% correct.

http://www.instituteofsport.ie/Institute_Of_Sport/Athlete_Zone/Performance_Nutrition/