What am I doing wrong?

Options
I exercise 5-6 times a week and eat 1200 to 1300 calories (except for special occasions) I drink soooo much water and try to eat as clean as possible (my diary is open). That helped me go down to 73kg but now I'm stuck! I have been going back and fourth a month at 74, 73, 72 but I can't seem to be loosing anything more.

I'm trying to eat less carbs and I always log everything. So I cant figure out the problem myself...

Replies

• js25698
    js25698 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Well, I flipped through your diary and the thing that jumps out at me is that you might not be eating enough. If you don't eat enough your body can go into starvation mode and start hoarding your calories instead of burning them. Especially if you are a gym person which you appear to be. I know, I know. It doesn't make much sense but I have seen it happen so try eating a little more. If that doesn't work, we'll try something else. The real trick is to find what works for YOUR metabolism and it can change as you go through your weight loss.
  • gymbunnyaalia
    Options
    I've flicked through a week of yours and I think it's because you may save your calories to have a bigger dinner. Your day in calories seems to be bottom heavy (i.e. the later part of the day), when actually if you eat more during the early part of the day you burn off the calories by bed time, especially if you're going to the gym. Rather than eating a big dinner you may feel you've deserved after not eating much all day, but as the guy above commented, your body goes into starvation and tries to store it and this is ESPECIALLY if you eat the majority of your calories before bed - what do you need that energy for? So if I were you i'd split your daily calories into 4. So your calories is 1600 say, so 400 a piece for each meal and another 400 to split into 2 for snacks (one mid morning, one mid arvo).
    Hope that helps - it seems to help me eat a bit more and lose weight :)
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Well, I flipped through your diary and the thing that jumps out at me is that you might not be eating enough. If you don't eat enough your body can go into starvation mode and start hoarding your calories instead of burning them. Especially if you are a gym person which you appear to be. I know, I know. It doesn't make much sense but I have seen it happen so try eating a little more. If that doesn't work, we'll try something else. The real trick is to find what works for YOUR metabolism and it can change as you go through your weight loss.

It doesnt make sense because it defies the laws of thermodynamics.

My first guess is that youre overestimating your exercise or underestimating your food. Or youre not drinking enough water and it's water weight. Or youre losing fat and gaining muscle (which weighs more)
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I exercise 5-6 times a week and eat 1200 to 1300 calories (except for special occasions)

This is where you are going wrong, you are creating too much of a deficit, your net is below 800 some days when it should be at least 1300. The allowance MFP gives you already includes a 500 cal per lb deficit, by not eating back exercise you are doubling this and your body is having a bit of a protest as you don't have enough to lose for that kind of defiict.

Set your goal to 1lb / week and eat back your exercise cals and you should see losses start up again. Try increasing your protein to 25 or 30% too, MFP's standard of 15% is VERY low if you are working out 5-6 times a week, and it will help you to maintain muscle mass if you weight train. Its highly unlikely you are building muscle in a large caloric deficit, you generally need a high protein diet with a calorie surplus so see muscle gains.
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to shift weight is to eat as many calories, or a few more than your BMR requires. Exercise 4 - 5 times a week, and go for walks on your excercise off days.
    This will create the calorie deficit needed to attack your fat stores and prompt weight loss.

Try to space your calorie intake so you are eating steadily throughout the day. Maybe breakfast, two light lunches and dinner. This confuses the metabolism. If you are often hungry, you are probably doing something wrong. Remember, The BMR is the minimum calories needed for the body to just function - whilst doing nothing. If you are not gettin these your body is going to be tired and thus not perform to the max.
  • elekelk
    elekelk Posts: 107
    Options
    I know its bottom heavy but i decide what to eat during the day and my family usually cooks high calorie dinners so thats why. I'm goring to try eating more for a coupe of weeks and see if anything changes, thank you :) But it feels weird to eat more and lose more, haha :P
  • bugaboo2503
    bugaboo2503 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I have also learned with myself that we tend to get into a food rut, thus making your body use to certain foods. Change things up a bit every now and again and its almost like rebooting your computer!! ;) Good luck, add me if you would like more supporters! :)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

It doesnt make sense because it defies the laws of thermodynamics.

My first guess is that youre overestimating your exercise or underestimating your food. Or youre not drinking enough water and it's water weight. Or youre losing fat and gaining muscle (which weighs more)

The laws of thermodynamics cannot be strictly applied to humans attempting to lose weight. More likely is a catabolic state where lean mass is being burnt as fuel and incoming calories are being stored, if the OP has been eating at this amount for an extended period of time. On this diet, there is no way the OP would be gaining muscle. But, even that is unlikely and it's probably just a temporary stall where the body has found a point it can maintain weight on the amount coming in.

To OP: Swap your macronutrient numbers to 40% Protein, 30% carbs and 30% fats from your diary and see if that is the kick start you need. If you want to properly calculate what you COULD be eating to best preserve your lean mass and lose fat at a sensible rate, head to www.fat2fitradio.com/tools, use the Military BF calculator and then the BMR calculator - the amount you should eat will be according to the chart lower down on the results page, next to the appropriate activity factor.
  • elekelk
    elekelk Posts: 107
    Options
    I feel a bit bad about raising my calories but its better than having no progress so I can at least try. I fixed my macros too. Thanks for your tips!
  • mikeinjapan
    mikeinjapan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    In addition to ironanimal's excellent advice you should also read this thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/586298-if-you-are-scared-to-increase-calories
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I know its bottom heavy but i decide what to eat during the day and my family usually cooks high calorie dinners so thats why. I'm goring to try eating more for a coupe of weeks and see if anything changes, thank you :) But it feels weird to eat more and lose more, haha :P

I find the easiest way to get my diary right is to log dinner first, as thats the biggest meal, then choose my other meals and snacks to make up macros as needed.
    If your family can tell you maybe the night before what is the next days dinner, you will be able to plan your day around it :-)