1st 5k need help please

Options
bisland
bisland Posts: 245 Member
Ok, so I graduated from c25k a bout 6 weeks ago. Have been doing it on my home treadmill & ran outside for the 1st time today. I knew it would be harder, I needed to revert back to some intervals, but do feel very encouraged by my results. With my son's encouragement I am signing up for my 1st 5 K in a month. Thankfully it is a benifit 5K run/walk. Does anyone have any advise for me on increasing my runs/regulating my pace.

Replies

• 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    Congratulations!

I was told by a trainer that continuing to run the full 5km at the speed I can do it without stopping (only 8.5km/h) will help build endurance....but to build more fitness and push myself I should do intervals and up the speed.....so a couple of times a week I do 400m at a fast walk and then 400m at a fast run (for me I am only up to 10.5km/h) alternating till I get to 5km....I will keep trying to push the speed up a bit as I am able and then hopefully it will mean I can increase my overall jogging speed as well.

I did a 5km fun run a few months ago and I ran as much as I could but there were several big hills which I couldn't run up....but I loved it and there were lots of people behind me!!

I've also just started to run on a bush trail over very uneven ground...its not fast running but it really works my ankles and I really love it...I take my dog on a 10.5km hike and am trying to run as much as I can.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The most important thing I can think of is to keep running outdoors at least a couple of times a week (in addition to 1 or 2 sessions on the treadmill) - doing all of your running outdoors would be even better, as you noticed it's quite different than the treadmill. One of the big mistakes I made leading up to my first 5k was spending very little time running outdoors - at 3km I had the shin splints to prove it......learn from my fail! :laugh:

In terms of pacing yourself run at a pace at which you can carry on a conversation, don't worry if it feels slow - this builds endurance and helps keep the transition to running outdoors as painless as possible. Take a day off between runs to allow your body to recover but use these days to cross train (swim, bike, weights) and take a recovery day each week.

Have fun!
  • c5davis
    c5davis Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello,
    I've also found on Itunes a podcast "couch to 5k" music and inspiration. Very helpful if getting motivatd to run. Good luck and remember...."old runners never die, they just run away! "
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stay hydrated

Take it slow, trying to increase your speed and distance quickly will result in an injury

Just keep get out there and putting one foot in front of the other

Do some core work.

And I have no idea if there is any evidence what so ever to support this(maybe someone will know), but I find doing burpees helps me to run faster
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I haven't done any interval work or speed training, but as I've gone along, my runs have gotten longer, and my speed has gotten faster. The longer you can run without a walking break, your pace will become more steady as well.

Just keep doing what you are doing. Run for as long as you can, walk when you need to to rest and then run again. You will see your runs get longer and your walks get shorter and then non-existent

I started out struggling to run walk 1.5 miles. Yesterday I ran 6 miles without walking. No special training, just running 3 days a week and keeping it up.

Good luck! Congrats on your first race in a month, I know you will finish (your time doesn't matter!) and you never forget your first! .
  • bscormier
    bscormier Posts: 5
    Options
    I followed the running room program of 10 and 1 intervals and worked my way up to running a half marathon. You don't need to give up the intervals. They help you to run farther and faster in the long run!
  • osutuba
    osutuba Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I never did a c25k program to start running. I would run as far as I could on the treadmill, and then walked the rest of the time to get a desired mileage (we had a treadmill challenge at my ymca and had to get 60 miles in 1 month). Then I joined a local running club and they helped me take it slow and increase my overall mileage overtime. The key to increasing mileage is the long run on either a saturday or sunday (or any other day depending on when you get days off from work). Add a mile to that each week for 2 weeks, then back it down a few miles, then the next week increase mileage where you left off before.

Feel free to add me as a friend - I love running (even more so because I'm injured and can't run like normal right now) and would love to offer any advice and support that I can. :)
  • chrisamurdoch
    chrisamurdoch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My Partner is using this site and finding it really good, she is doing her first parkrun in a few weeks off of it
    http://www.todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Ray-DArcy-Show/JoinRayFor5K/5KTraining.aspx