Help Me, if you will

Options
2»

Replies

• iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    You can and should calculate your BMR on this site- go to Tools tab and select BMR. That's waht your body would burn if you were in a coma - i.e. what your organs, brain, and system as a whole need just to keep functioning. MFP advice is never to eat below it. TDEE is total daily energy expenditure - for this you need to google, there's loads of free calculators.

You enter some basic stats and select your usual activity level. The result gives you what you burn daily - obviously higher than your BMR as you're moving about! To lose weight you need to eat less than your TDEE, creating a calorie deficit which will force your body to burn its own resources - obviously again you want this to be as much suplus fat as possible, rather than muscle tissue, which is why MFP advises slow steady weight loss and excercise to help maintain your muscle mass.

Most people think it's unhealthy to eat below your BMR, and there are thoeries about that if you do your body will start to cling to its reserves as much as possible, thus actually slowing your weightloss and messing up your metabolism.

On MFP there are countless people with all sorts of opinions which they are passionate about, and are more than happy to share with you, often for hours!

However the above is a summary, and as it makes sense to me, and enables me to eat really very well without any faddiness or sense of deprivation, and lose weight, that's the approach I'm pursuing.

Hope that makes sense and my apologies for being confusing! I've only been on the site a short while myself and look at me adopting the jargon already!

Thanks.. My BMR is 1450, and MFP set my calorie goal for 1lb/wk loss at 1570. My TDEE is 2300. I really want to invest in a cheat HRM, I thought John Lewis had one for £15...
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend getting one that just has a watch, they are apparently not very accurate at all. Try to get one that has a chest strap and transmitter. They are more expensive. I think I heard a while ago that Lloyd's chemist were selling quite a cheap one, but I'm not sure how cheap or how good. Might be worth looking into though.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Since you aren't that heavy to start off, you might want to consider aiming for a .5lb weight loss each week. This will give you more calories per day and will help you to ease into maintenance when the time comes.

If your TDEE is 2300, I think I would aim to have your calories a bit higher. I know it seems that creating a larger deficit would result in greater weight loss at a faster pace, but it doesn't work that way for most people (unless you are very obese). For people who are closer to their ideal weight, you want to create less of a deficit. This will result in a healthy, sustainable weight loss.
  • JCCarroll1968
    JCCarroll1968 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The only advice that I would give based on what I saw is I would increase water consumption. I know that I can get lazy and either forget to log it or forget to drink it. I was not much of a water drinker before I started my diet, but I find that if I drink between 9 to 12 cups of water a day I get much better loses. I also keep a good eye on my sodium intake. The more sodium I take in, the more I tend to retain water, so I do everything I can to stay away from prepared foods. I am on a low carb, high protein diet and I have found it to be very successful for me. Best of luck!!
  • iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    Since you aren't that heavy to start off, you might want to consider aiming for a .5lb weight loss each week. This will give you more calories per day and will help you to ease into maintenance when the time comes.

If your TDEE is 2300, I think I would aim to have your calories a bit higher. I know it seems that creating a larger deficit would result in greater weight loss at a faster pace, but it doesn't work that way for most people (unless you are very obese). For people who are closer to their ideal weight, you want to create less of a deficit. This will result in a healthy, sustainable weight loss.

I'm not that hungry... 1570 + 200/300 exercise calories is enough to satisfy me.

And maybe I don't sound that heavy but I look it. The weight is concentrated on my stomach, upper arms and thighs.