How much protein?

Options
I need some help here... While monitoring my calorie intake I've been getting confused as to how many carbs, fat & protein I need. I'm trying to keep my calorie intake around 1,200 to 1,500 - depending on my activity level that day. On MFP when I set my goals, it automatically set my carbs to be 165 (which I think is high), fat at 40 and protein at 45 (which I think is low). During the week, I drink a protein shake for breakfast and when I do, my protein is always way high.

I know I can manually set my goals on here - but I don't know what a good goal is. Also, another question, what else should I be monitoring and how should it be set?

Replies

• kristy8403
    kristy8403 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Please... Someone.... anyone!
  • kellya009
    kellya009 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I kind of have an issue with this too... Protein is only supposed to be 15% of your diet, but I think if you are exercising and weight training you need more for muscle repair don't you? I just try to put a little more protein in my diet whether it's available in my log or not. The only concern I have is too much protein can lead to kidney stones.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I think you've found the weak point of MFP default settings. Carbs too high, protein too low. Try a 30% carbs. and 35% each protein and fats for your goals. This may work better for you, especailly if you are getting a good amount of activity. Personally, I don't see any value in monitoring anything else unless you tend to retain water and then maybe monitor your sodium.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    My protein is set 1g per lean body mass. So mine is around 105ish, so I try and eat that. I set my fat 0.5 g of my total body weight: 69 grams give or take. The rest I am not too worried about. I do stay under on my saturate fat even if I go over on my fat.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Percentages will vary from person to person. I've had success using 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat. Others will have success using different ratios. It's all about creating a sustainable lifestyle that allows you to eat foods that you enjoy. With regards to protein, a good target would be 1g pf protein per lb of lean body mass. If you're 140 lbs, 25% body fat then you have a lean body mass of 105 lbs and should be aiming for approximately 105g of protein. the most important thing with regards to weight loss is that you're eating fewer calories than you're burning.
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I set mine for 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein, and I never care if I go over the protein and fat, but the carbs I'm more careful with! I aim for about 0.8-1g protein per lbs body weight.