People not recognising you! Tell me your story

Options
The best thing just happened to me. It totally made my day. I took my car in to get serviced and bumped into extended family. I said hi and there was no response. Then a little bit later I said hello again and thats when I realised that maybe they didn't recognise me. I haven't seem them in a couple of years. Since then I've lost 31 kg. Im pretty much at goal weight now.

Anyway I told them who I was and they couldn't believe it! They said I looked great and wanted to know how I did it. I told them hard work... exercise, counting calories and eating mostly fresh food and not processed. I told them that they totally made my day! :D The lady said she couldn't understand why this stranger was saying hello to her!! hahaha. :D

I love it when I bump into people I haven't seen for a while. There will most likely be a funeral within the next few months unfortunately and it'll be interesting to see the reactions from extended family that I haven't seen in years.

Tell me your story! Would love to hear them! :)

Replies

• Trilaina
    Trilaina Posts: 61
    Options
    Congrats! That's an awesome feeling!

I got mistaken for my little sister the other day, which wouldn't ordinarily be much, but she's five years younger than me, and I've always thought of her as the 'cute one,' as she's always been pretty petite compared to me. People couldn't tell us apart in a picture, since we looked the same and there was no height difference in it.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success. It's a great feeling when you make people shocked at your transformation.

One morning while I was walking my dog around the neighborhood, I saw one of my neighbors walking & when I stared to him at first he ignored me then he gave a second glance & told me that I looked great & that I completely transformed myself that he didn't recognize me. This neighbor used to see me fat & has never seen me with a slim body. Also I don't hang out around the neighborhood much & if I go out, its usually an empty town where all of them are either somewhere or inside their houses which is why my neighbors rarely see me.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    cool
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Congrats! That's an awesome feeling!

I got mistaken for my little sister the other day, which wouldn't ordinarily be much, but she's five years younger than me, and I've always thought of her as the 'cute one,' as she's always been pretty petite compared to me. People couldn't tell us apart in a picture, since we looked the same and there was no height difference in it.

• lanzaroteblue
    lanzaroteblue Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    The best thing just happened to me. It totally made my day. I took my car in to get serviced and bumped into extended family. I said hi and there was no response. Then a little bit later I said hello again and thats when I realised that maybe they didn't recognise me. I haven't seem them in a couple of years. Since then I've lost 31 kg. Im pretty much at goal weight now.

Anyway I told them who I was and they couldn't believe it! They said I looked great and wanted to know how I did it. I told them hard work... exercise, counting calories and eating mostly fresh food and not processed. I told them that they totally made my day! :D The lady said she couldn't understand why this stranger was saying hello to her!! hahaha. :D

I love it when I bump into people I haven't seen for a while. There will most likely be a funeral within the next few months unfortunately and it'll be interesting to see the reactions from extended family that I haven't seen in years.

Tell me your story! Would love to hear them! :)

This hasn't happened to me yet as I've still got loads to go BUT
    I just wanted to say to you - AWSOME going and I hope you feel
    very very proud of yourself.
    All the best
    Nicola x
  • Kim55555
    Options
    This hasn't happened to me yet as I've still got loads to go BUT
    I just wanted to say to you - AWSOME going and I hope you feel
    very very proud of yourself.
    All the best
    Nicola x

Thanks! :)
  • kmmachado
    kmmachado Posts: 6
    Options
    That just happened to me yesterday! I was at the grocery store and ran into a co-worker and her new husband. I had her new husband's son in my class last year. He introduced himself to me and I reminded him that his son had been in my class last year. He said he didn't even recognize me because I had lost weight. I have lost a total of 21 pounds now and am at my goal weight. It did make me happy, but it made me think just how heavy I must have been back then!
  • rcclcruiser
    rcclcruiser Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your story, as it was very motivating to me. My goal is for the same thing to happen to me in the future! I am so enjoying myfitness pal!
  • lookpretty
    lookpretty Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 65 pounds, my face looks entirely different, I used to work in the mall right after I had my son and a few months ago I was in a store with my s/o and the store owner ignored me, but when I got near the counter she whirled around because I have a distinct accent and said she hadnt recognised me at all but knew my voice from anywhere lol